Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Reversing Y Harnesses

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 06:12 PM
bafflerback
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reversing Y Harnesses

A customer came into the Hobbyshop where I'm working looking for a reverse servo to use on the elevator of a Foam EDF. Not stocking much in the line of reverse servos I asked why he didn't use a y harness with a reverser. He informed my that Spektrum advises not to use them. This surprised me as I'm currently flying 2 aircraft with them installed. The only thing I noticed using the reverser instead of mixing is one elevator is a little slower than the other. It's only noticeable if you slam the elevator stick. The airplane flies fine.

Anyone know the reason that Spektrum doesn't recommend the use of a reversing Y harness.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:59 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

All I can tell you is that Spektrum considers reversing Y-harnesses a definite NO-NO.......
Old 04-08-2020, 03:32 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeb
All I can tell you is that Spektrum considers reversing Y-harnesses a definite NO-NO.......
This is correct
Old 04-08-2020, 04:26 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bafflerback
A customer came into the Hobbyshop where I'm working looking for a reverse servo to use on the elevator of a Foam EDF. Not stocking much in the line of reverse servos I asked why he didn't use a y harness with a reverser. He informed my that Spektrum advises not to use them. This surprised me as I'm currently flying 2 aircraft with them installed. The only thing I noticed using the reverser instead of mixing is one elevator is a little slower than the other. It's only noticeable if you slam the elevator stick. The airplane flies fine.

Anyone know the reason that Spektrum doesn't recommend the use of a reversing Y harness.
Because doing so can cause delays in response time. This is especially important if you're flying an aerobatic model. One servo (the directly-connected one) will always lead the other. A MatchBox is a better choice here than a single-channel reverser.

They also may not have the same "center" position as the receiver. Early Spektrum receivers used the same 1520 microsecond center that JR receivers used in both the FM and DSM products. Newer Spektrum designs use 1500 microseconds.

Was it not possible for the guy to use the other side of the servo output arm for his installation?

Andy
Old 04-08-2020, 07:06 AM
c/f
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ive used them in flaps on jets where servo tracking speeds is not an issue as I slow them down anyways and activate on base final turn. What I did notice and these where with the EXPERT brand, (a JR private label,) was that outside temperature differences required me to adjust the centering pot provided. I concur having used them they have there shortcomings.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:25 AM
modtron

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Many years ago Futaba made an item called an SR-10, which had a single line input and 2 outputs.
One of these was normal direction, but the second was reversed with an adjustable neutral via a small pot on the top of the case.
They cured the delay by having the input signal buffered before having anything done with it,
Then the 2 outputs were also sync'd together and no timing issues occurred.
There are still some around if you can find them.

modtron
Oxford UK
Old 04-09-2020, 06:52 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

In the good ol days those of us who were into electronics had a simple solution for reversing a servo . It was a 5 minute job to open the servo , swap the two outer wires going to the potentiometer , and also swap the two wires going to the motor . I haven't opened up a modern servo lately and wouldn't be surprised if this old fashioned solution is no longer viable , if the motor is directly soldered to the circuit board or if an optical encoder VS a potentiometer is used for instance , I'd bet the old trick wouldn't work ...