Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

ASTRO HOG

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

ASTRO HOG

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 04:36 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ASTRO HOG

ORIGINAL: fredsedno

Thanks for the advice. The plan specifies '' no thrust'', however, flying instructions state that the plane will wander to the left on take off roll.
Also states right rudder is necessary.
I plan to build with 2 degrees rt. thrust[easy fix if this is not good idea] and 0 degrees down thrust. Also easy to correct.
I also am thinking of mounting 60tt on a 45 degree angle rather than straight vertical.
Definitely tail dragger [Dubro hd main gear], just haven't a method of mounting with gear raked back to put axle in line with the leading edge.
Got to get through ''deer season''before building this bird. ps the original HOG called for 4 degrees rt. thrust. Fredsedno

Part of being a pilot is knowing the airplane and then compensating for whatever temporary quirky handling it has during various takeoff/landing/flight modes.

Fer instance, with an old Goldberg Anniversary Cub, I learned to hold a bit of right rudder during the takeoff roll and to release it when the tail came up and after a few seconds. The result was a beautifully perfect takeoff. Just like in the real J-3.

I would build it to factory specs. Then, if you feel the need, use your computer radio's features to try different trim characteristics. I don't think you will be tempted to erase the factory's trim mechanically and replace it with your own.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-19-2011, 06:54 AM
Daddyo57
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the factory side thrust and feel it is about right... I did remove 1/2 of the dihedral and it flies like a dream! the factory dihedral is simply more than we need these days. I am flying mine with an older (but good running) Saito80 and wish I had a 90 sized 4 stroke. I Love my Hog! If I did it again, I would for sure make it a tail dragger.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:43 AM
richardgerardi

I have an Astro Hog with a Saito 82 and not trust and flies great.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:14 PM
NM2K

The Astro Hog (original) was designed to fly with what amounted to just being assisted free flight. The old reed rigs were not proportional like our more modern R/C systems. They were either on or off when it came to the various control surfaces. One needed a ten channel reed system in order to somewhat equal a four-channel proportional system today. Each full throw direction of a control surface took one channel, such as up elevator, right rudder or right aileron. The sixth and tenth channels were used for a tim feature, such as trimming the elevator slightly.

Anyway, just as we should do today in many instances, our models should be mechanically trimmed to fly straight and level with "hands-off" the Tx. More so, back in the days of the Astro Hog. Remember, you didn't have proportional trim the way you have with today's R/C systems.

There are folks reading this column that have actually designed/setup/flown reed controlled models. I have not. I'll depend on them to jump in here and fill in any necessary details, or to make any corrections to what I have said. However, my point was that the stock Astro Hog was set up to fly more like an auto stable free flight model than today's pattern ships. Yes, reducing the dihedral might be a good idea, but sometimes it is fun to fly the old models just as they were designed.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-12-2011, 12:01 PM
John Henry Vereker

I have a Flair Astro Hog, it weighs 5lbs 8 oz and has an Irvine 53 Mk2,   engine takes the hog off on 1/2 throttle.  Am considering putting in a PAW 35 R/C since it takes about the same size props although at a few thousand less R.P.M.  I know I will have ot change 9 oz tank for a 4 oz one!
PAW are still very much on the ball, I replaced a 29 liner and piston with PAW35 ones, so have a choice of two sizes of engine.   The actual mechanicing took about 30 mins. The order took 5 days from telphone all to receit of items, nicely packed.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:02 PM
John Henry Vereker

I have a Flair Astro Hog, it weighs 5lbs 8 oz and has an Irvine 53 Mk2,   engine takes the hog off on 1/2 throttle.  Am considering putting in a PAW 35 R/C since it takes about the same size props although at a few thousand less R.P.M.  I know I will have ot change 9 oz tank for a 4 oz one!
PAW are still very much on the ball, I replaced a 29 liner and piston with PAW35 ones, so have a choice of two sizes of engine.   The actual mechanicing took about 30 mins. The order took 5 days from telphone all to receit of items, nicely packed.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:24 AM
seanorchard89

Hi was wondering if you had any instructions you could post up online as i have purchased a flair astro hog and the instructions are missing would be really appreciative if you could help thanks sean
Old 10-13-2011, 10:35 AM
grimmy55

I,m in the process of making ming electric waiting for motor to arrive I cut a hatch between first to formers for a 6c battery I figure if electric doesn,t cut it I,ll maybe go glow I,ve got a spare ,70 engine but will have to wait and see,time is the big factor off course got to finish of my Bird dog with 35cc motor 84inch W?S
Old 10-14-2011, 06:17 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Build it per the plans. I did and mine flew for 15 years before some idiot hit a telephone pole with it.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:47 PM
Thatsakitbuilt

I also built mine per plans but as a tail dragger..............love the way it flies, and I'm using a Satio 82 in mine.

Cal
Old 10-15-2011, 09:18 AM
crazy nick
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are these a fairly easy build? Greoat lookin plane, might be my second build.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:37 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: crazy nick

Are these a fairly easy build? Greoat lookin plane, might be my second build.
How easy a model is to build depends much more on the builder than on the design of the model structure.

Zor

Old 10-16-2011, 06:02 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: crazy nick

Are these a fairly easy build? Green oat lookin plane, might be my second build.

Compared to what? Compared to a Kaos 60 kit? No, it is more difficult than that. But it is not as difficult to build as the Sig 1/4 Scale Cub.

If you follow the instructions and ask questions here when necessary, you will produce a flyable model.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-16-2011, 01:41 PM
crazy nick

I was just curious , because I have no building experience yet. I ordererd a sig somethin extra this week, plan on building it the next couple weeks. I plan on getting an astro hog after that is finished. Never saw one before this thread and fell in love w/ it. I am very quik at pickin things up so I don't think it will be that difficult for me. I have done 3 weeks research everyday on kits and building so now just need experience.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Thatsakitbuilt

crazy nick,

The sig something extra is a easy build. Very detailed instructions, and your parts are laser cut, which they just fall out from their sheet. The astro hog is more challenging, it's parts are not laser cut, but die crunched. Care will need to be taken in removing those parts. The instructions are typical sig, very detailed. But the build can be intimidating. I have built 6 Sig kits over the last few years ( 2-LT40's, 2- Sig Something Extras, 1-Sig Hog Bipe, 1- Astro Hog) and another SSE on the building board now. Each of those kits offered a challenge, but the Astro Hog was the most challenging. I'm no expert, I hope others who have built the Astro Hog will chime in with their experiences. I did a lot of reading on build threads on the Astro Hog in this forum, and I kept hearing about doing a lot of carving and sanding. This is very true. As for my self, I waited to build the Astro Hog after I had a few kits under my belt. Glad I did. Each kit I built, had you do things differently than the previous one. But it also gives you additional building skills that you will use on the Astro Hog. As I've read and been told, READ, READ, READ, AND RE-READ THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL, AND LOOK, LOOK, LOOK AT THE PLANS, before you glue or cut. If you do that, you should have no problems. These forums gave me a lot of information and knowledge from the folks who have way more knowledge than i have. I always wanted to build when I first got into this hobby, and when I got my first kit, I thought "what the heck did I get myself into". As long as you take your time, and read thru the manual over and over, it wasn't so intimidating. Love Sig manuals, they will take you thru every step, and then you'll look at the progress you have made, and tell yourself, " I did pretty dang good". The more you build, the more you learn.

Cal
Old 10-16-2011, 03:50 PM
crazy nick

Thank you Cal, that is why I post on the forums , you get great feedback. I 'll take your advice and wait on the hog. I'm just excited as all heck to start building kits. I have some experience repairing crashed arfs, but nothing more than makin a few wing ribs or a patch for a fuse. Hopefully when this sig gets here and I start I can calmn down a little. All I did for weeks now is read and plan on planes. Sorry if I annoy anyone w/ my over excitedness.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:18 PM
Thatsakitbuilt

crazy nick,

Sounds like you've got a good jump on building, with your repair's on arf's. I'm no expert, I've only been in this hobby about 5 years. I've had 2 arf's, but I was very impressed with the Sig kits. I haven't built any other brand kits, so I may be biased. I've just started my Sig Something Extra build, so If I can be of help don't hesitate to ask. I'll help as much as I can with your SSE build. And yes, this forum has been a huge help with my early start, and still is.

Cal
Old 10-16-2011, 06:04 PM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No right thrust or down and flies great, keep the tail light! I had to add about 7 or 8 ozs. to balance it. My fuselage sides are solid wood maybe it would be much better to have some lighting holes. I also think that the landing gear is a bit springy and could be a little stronger.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94377.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1675304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32495.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1675305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96076.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1675306  
Old 10-16-2011, 06:27 PM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Nice Hog, Don. Is that painted?
Old 10-16-2011, 07:26 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Ya know, the Hog might be a good candidate for a pair of Oleo struts instead of plain wire. A set of Robart RoboStruts would aid in ground handling and add additional scale look.
I've built a number of Sig kits and a club member has one built and ready for dope. Looks very nice and would make a great electric conversion. Maybe there's one in my future....
Old 10-17-2011, 05:40 AM
Thatsakitbuilt

frequent flyer,

Thats about the same weight I had to use on my hog. But it flies great.

jolleyroger,

I had the same idea, but I've never used oleo struts. I have another Astro Hog on the shelf, and that may be the one I'll try the oleo struts on. I think it would look really neat. It is a fairly heavy bird.

Cal
Old 01-25-2014, 06:08 PM
thetireman1
My Feedback: (5)

I need a template to cut out a new windshield for my Astro Hog. Can anyone help me with this?