Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

old world engines cub ws52

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

old world engines cub ws52

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 06:13 PM
dburnettesr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old world engines cub ws52

its ws it 52in.
weights about 3lb finished its 2.6 now
it has alot of dihedral
it has the aileron option
engine size 15-30
lhs led me to a norvel 15, I just don't like this motor, leaks oil all over, I don't want a under powered plane that will have trouble in the grass, this will be my second plane after the alpha I have little flight time but but already know I don't want a dripping underpowered mess in this plane that will not throttle back reliably seems like a high performance tweak motor to me, it does have light weight to it credit, labor of love i've spent many hours trying to get it just right, all ideas on this plane would be welcome, planes have option on ruder which takes top part an makes for more control surface, also have seen elevators in pics that use more off the stabilizer for more surface area these are my sticking points right now,,,,,,,I'm in no hurry I'm trying to learn on the alpha,,,,I have 2 kits that i have been building for years 1st got put aside (learning ex) have made lots of sawdust an many patterns for ailerons after which i'm not afraid of anything now. so give me your ideas
Old 08-02-2003, 01:29 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure you practice using the rudder a lot while flying the trainer, especially in truns. You will need the rudder for the Cub.

I'd guess the Norvel would run much smoother once broken in. It's an ABC engine I believe. They are supposed to be fairly powerful little engines, but I wouldn't want one that leaks oil all over my plane either.

I'd suggest a nice little OS 25 Max FP for a 2 stroke. I even have one I meight let go at a good price, but would have to investigate their value.

Those extra tabs on rudder and elevator are called counterbalances. They assist when moving the control surfaces. (The air pushes against the counterbalance helping to move the control surface.)

Think about it.
Dennis-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	98367_2863.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	55974  
Old 08-11-2003, 03:20 PM
dburnettesr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the reply db, put a new hotter glow plug in put the thick head shim back in, ordered new orings for exhaust from norvell lhs said to use any oring since mine did not have in box when I bought, I got that I got ripped feeling sooooooo now that I'm over it. well the engine is back in the plan it runs supper with an 8-4 an now feel it will run well , still do not have orings yet. but I need to clear this up did not want to bash norvell for something that may not be there fault, hope they work better. this is not a beginner plane or in my opinion a beginner engine an i'm a beginner, seems to be common around here, don't think it will hang on the prop but should pull the plane on runway, maybe