Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 12:59 PM
yates55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

The heli rides is right next to the rc club I belong to, Crystal coast RC club, here in Newport NC, the location that he plucked it from is about 2 mile east of the field and he was running back to the Beaufort airport for fuel, they run in and out rt behind us at the fleamall

And they are crazy
Old 11-17-2012, 07:53 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: redbiscuits

ORIGINAL: Doomking

Servo hatches next. The 1/16 ply looks very thin even compared to my P-51. Do you guys feel comfortable trusting your bird to such thin ply or should it be OK?
Warning.....Warning....paranoia alert!!
By the way...did I pass Jimbo in the build? Gary you are the official judge from now on on...
Damn! Why did you have to plant that in my head?
Actually, once I had them made, and my servos installed on the plate, and 6 screws mounting each of them to the wing, I think there is little chance of them going anywhere or flexing. I built them per the instructions and all seems fine. Remember, these are not 3D type airplanes with extreme throws and lots of force against the surfaces.

If we build them like a tank it all adds up in the end, and then it will fly like a tank. JMO
Gary,
your right about a Tank, but if you power it with a tank motor your good to go...

I am putting in such a motor in mine, should swing a 24X12 in the low 9's and still slow down with flaps to land,,,
I been beefing mine up as I go because I knew I was going to over power it, my thought is to fly it at warbird events with a 4 blade and then put the two blade on when I feel the need for speed....

One mod I am doing very soon is the dowels that hold the wing in.. I am a bowhunter and have lots and lots of different size carbon fiber arrows. The plan is to use one that the dowel will slide in, I then will drill out the holes and also beef up where they attach to the main spar.. Then I will fill the two bays with great foam, it will expand around everything and add little to no extra weight... The late Minnflyer turned me on to this stuff when I did my ultra sport and man does it really add strength... Then I will add some CF disk to the backside of thefuse former to beef the holes up.. Hope this all makes sense, it works out really good in my head... I will post pics as I go with it...

Ballast:
Not sure how much I will end up needing with the bigger power plant, but I see others are adding....

Ram3500 sells a steel powder that you mix with epoxy that works very well, just pour it into a cup till you balance, then mix with epoxyand applywhere ever you want it.. It's cheap with the flat rate "if it fits it ships" shipping. and a box is enough to do several planes.. If anyone needs his contact info let me know and I will put you in touch with him.....

Hello to the gang,
Hope all are doing well on the builds. It feels good to be back home after hell week, I got a few days to spend down in the shop to try and catch back up toFabio....

Gary,
looks like your back at yours with the detail, glad to see.. The set you got from Mirce and now that you have worked with it, would you do it again like this? I was planning on covering mine in foil, do you think the detail would work under foil?
I want mine to have some paint but a lot of the foil showing, having a real hard time finding a Razorback that had more of an aluminum finish.. I know I better get a subject picked here pretty soon, just having a hard time deciding... Anyone have some pics they would like to share?

Jimbo
Old 11-17-2012, 04:45 PM
yates55

Hey Gary , I got a couple packages in the mail today.... Thanks

super big smile and they do look awesome

It's time for me to start glassing, One question ? how long does Zpoxy need to cure before 2nd coat, I plan on keeping room about 75 degs

after applied

Thanks again

Yates
Old 11-18-2012, 04:25 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be able to put the second coat on after 3-4 hours at that temp.

Jimbo, as a matter of fact I would use the finish set again. I'm not sure if the rivets would show under foil as I have never worked with foil. If I have some rivets left over when I'm done, I will send you a little sample and you can try it out before you commit to buying it. I just ordered another 5000 rivets from Mirce as I think I'm already running low.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:44 AM
Mustangman40

You should be able to put the second coat on after 3-4 hours at that temp.

Jimbo, as a matter of fact I would use the finish set again. I'm not sure if the rivets would show under foil as I have never worked with foil. If I have some rivets left over when I'm done, I will send you a little sample and you can try it out before you commit to buying it. I just ordered another 5000 rivets from Mirce as I think I'm already running low.

Sounds good Gary.....

Anyone still flying? I am heading out this afternoon, we should have snow on the ground but the temps will be in the upper 50's today. Going to take advantage of it.........
Old 11-18-2012, 05:04 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Went flying yesterday. Light wind was squirrelly. Kept changing directions so we landed down wind and ran off the runway quite a bit. Even had 90* cross winds. At least it was light. Saw a neat design for B-17 retracts for a banana hobby foamy 63" B-17. Very poorly done, but looked like a sound concept. Too much plastic and had a broke piece that needed replacing.

I finally ordered a DX18 last week. The servo setup has some programming that will solve my B-25 flaps geometry problem. Theres a balance routine that lets you set a servo position at 7 different points (on any channel) which will help me keep my flaps lined up. Also can control the speed the servo moves so I can slow it down.

And I STILL have my Stearman engine problem. DAMN IT! Next is to run a pressure line from the carb regulator vent to inside the fuse. I dont like dead sticking a 20 lb bipe. Runs fine on the ground, but have mixture problems in the air after 2 or 3 minutes.
Edwin
Old 11-18-2012, 05:38 AM
redbiscuits

I'm staying home today, Period!

The Formula 1 race is going to have all the traffic screwed up, especially out by the club as that is one of the shuttle bus hubs. I'm looking forward to the Heritage Airforce flyover though, that is supposed to happen around 1pm. Since I'm only about 10 miles away from the track I'm hoping they fly over my house.
I may head to the field tomorrow after all the race fans leave town.

I hope that line fixes your problem Edwin. That's a nice Stearman, would hate to see it go in the cedar trees.[X(]
Old 11-18-2012, 05:49 AM
Mustangman40

Edwin, here ya about the dead stick on a 20 pound bipe, it's no fun... What B-25 are you working on I have always wanted to do a 25 and it's getting close. I was thinking of going with an ARF to get some experience on a twin, before building one from scratch...

Question for the group..

I have been looking and looking and looking for my trim scheme that I want to use on mine and just can't pick one...
Have you ever done this, or thought about doing this, making your own scheme? I know, I know, don't yell at me to loud....
My thought is this and here me out.. I don't plan to compete with mine, just fly and have fun at different events... What if I took markings from several real schemes that flew in the great war and did a tribute to several of them with one aircraft? There are many that I like something on it, just not the whole plane.. If I did a schemetastefully mind you, of different markings and art, would it get me laughed at when I am at warbird events?
Lets face it, only the true scale buffs will notice that it's not "Scale", but neither is a TF GS P47.. The tail is wrong andthe landing gear are not right, just to mention a few...
Just something I been thinking about and wanted to here what others thought.. I might ask this in the Warbird forum as well,I'm sure that will turn into a heated debate...lol
Old 11-18-2012, 05:53 AM
Mustangman40

The Formula 1 race is going to have all the traffic screwed up, especially out by the club as that is one of the shuttle bus hubs. I'm looking forward to the Heritage Airforce flyover though, that is supposed to happen around 1pm. Since I'm only about 10 miles away from the track I'm hoping they fly over my house.

I hope that line fixes your problem Edwin. That's a nice Stearman, would hate to see it go in the cedar trees.[X(]
Oh no you dit'tint........
Old 11-18-2012, 06:02 AM
redbiscuits

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

Oh no you dit'tint........
If you seen our field, you would think the same thing.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:06 AM
Mustangman40

I posted the question, lets see how bad I get flamed.........

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11301231
Old 11-18-2012, 06:21 AM
Edwin

Im doing the same thought process getting experience first, then a ziroli build later. Its a H9 B-25, in my opinion, one of the worst H9 arfs. Had lots of problems with it that should be described in a different thread. All the serious ones fixed now except the flaps geometry. No matter what I do I cannot get the flaps to even up and travel the same. Tried different servos, matchbox, moving the servos making new servo mounts, NOTHING. The DX18 should do it for me.

Every time the stearman goes up I have a flight box and altitude I stay in just in case so I can make it back to the runway. It didnt die yesterday but loosing power and getting inconsistant throttle response so I idled back and landed. The problem is its been coming in hot and nosing over. I bust a prop each time. Take out stock on MA 18x10 wood props, I'm about to buy a box car load of them.

As for a P-47 paint scheme, mine is a razor back and will be done in camo, but will have my wifes name on it. It'll be called Chiquita Juanita. She's an artsy type so I'll get her to draw up something and make a decal out of it. No bearing on reality at all. Its just for fun and gets brownie points from the wife.
Edwin
Old 11-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Zor
Banned

If the glue was not CA but a good aliphatic glue and all joints were double glued with proper fillets and themodel covered with woven polyester or light Ceconite and doped, landing in the trees would barely create any damages. Chances are no damage at all.

Just watch now the opponents who adore CA glue and enjoy shrinking plastic films.

Zor

Old 11-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Edwin

Agree 100% Zor. About three years ago a 1/3 busa cub flew away into those trees. It was found a month later about 10' up in the trees with minimal damage. All I know is it was fabric covered. I woulda never thunk it.
Edwin
Old 11-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Doomking
My Feedback: (38)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jimbo I wouldn't sweat it too much about it.
It's your bird and you pretty much can do whatever makes you happy with it.
Chances are that there are so many schemes out there that will be almost impossible for anyone to challenge your finish to be not accurate.
For myself I will paint it a close copy of my Mustang which has a metallic finish, black top deck and red tail and wing tips or perhaps the 60 size Top Flite p-47 ARF in olive drab minus the checker board finish on the cowl.
Whatever color my big box hardware store or automotive store have on their shelf it will be just fine for me.

Fabio
Old 11-19-2012, 05:51 AM
Mustangman40

Hey Gang,
had a great time at the field yesterday. Put 4 more flights on my 50cc Pitts Python and had a blast doing it. She flies so nice and landing, well she makes even me look like a Pro....

Been thinking about my paint Scheme and it has me leaning towards a totally different direction..

I'm really think hard about paying tribute to the Men and Women of the armed forces of today's age.. I know a P47 isn't period correct, but why the heck not... We owe them the same respect as the WWII generation and it really has me thinking I will use my 47 to do just that...........

Jimbo
Old 11-19-2012, 05:01 PM
yates55

Got her glassed this weekend, with the help of my buddy Tres, he's got about as many hours as myself

Time for some primer huh

hope you dont mind me posting Gary

again THANK YOU

Yates
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82851.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	1821903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48271.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	1821904  
Old 11-20-2012, 03:36 AM
redbiscuits

Heck no Yates, I don't mind, post as many pics as you want.

Have you picked a scheme yet?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:49 AM
yates55

I have a couple in mind, one is green/grey with invasion strips and the other is aluminum w/strips, I guess i'm to a point i should really
be committed to one or the other , It may come down to a coin flip, hehe

yates
Old 11-20-2012, 09:14 PM
RWHorton

Finally got one side of the nose art done. It wasn't to involved but took a little time to make the art work. It is a water transfer.

Don't worrie about what other people think about your trim, you make any scheam you want to it's your plane.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52198.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1822225  
Old 11-21-2012, 04:21 AM
redbiscuits

Looking good Ron!
Old 11-22-2012, 05:44 AM
Mustangman40

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, hope it's a good one...

Ron and yates,
looking good, cant wait to see the finished planes.........
Old 11-22-2012, 06:02 AM
Edwin

Right back at ya. It will be good, my DX18 came yesterday. Will be playing with that when I get back from the family feast.
Edwin
Old 11-22-2012, 08:42 AM
redbiscuits

Gobble, Gobble!
Everyone that is traveling, be safe...

Nice Edwin, I'm a little jealous over here, wish I had one!
Old 11-22-2012, 08:50 AM
yates55

Same to everyone, please be safe and have a great day

yates

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.