Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 06:08 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

This has been a subject I have been wanting to talk about. I was just waiting for the right time. As most of us scale builders know anything can happen in flight and it eventually does.
The first reaction I get from pilots at the field when I bring a kit like Gary's to fly they say "man I would be so scared to fly that" Fear is ones worst enemy!
They say they could never fly it! If one has fear then your better off not flying it. For me building a kit like this is all about flying it, otherwise I would get an ARF and just fly and not care. What makes us kit builders is that we do fly these amazing builds, and we do it without fear. So as kit builders we build as reliable as we can, we train and improve our skills so we can fly these planes with confidence. That is one reason I started flying 3D, it has made me a better pilot and given me confidence. I also invested in a Flight Sim! I still get the " whats going on, your flying 3D now, thought you were a scale warbird flyer" I am, and I am foremost a pilot, and a kit builder!
So as we kit builders build these very intense and expensive planes what do you do to better your skills and how do you approach this level of this hobby. I know it is off subject but very relevant.
TB
Old 03-10-2013, 06:24 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

My son and I play a little game on the flight sim. I let him choose any plane he wants, he sets the trims all out of wack and then kills the engine in flight to see if I can get the plane down in one piece. He has a blast trying to see if I can get it back to the runway. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, but it's fun, and it is about as close to the real thing as I can get without putting something real in jeopardy.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:31 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

ORIGINAL: redbiscuits

Just to have a little fun, I put the P47 up for sale in the Market Place. Didn't take long for me to shoot down the first low-ball offer of $1,100!
First one to pony up 4 grand, it's theirs. Not really holding my breath expecting someone to buy it though

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/ite...4970&cobrand=1
Low Ball? If so then I got a real deal when I bought my
Top Flight P-47 ARF TarHeel Hal
With all new parts robart gear G-62 ect.
For $1250 Picked up. The ARF sells for $639.99 + shipping That's makes your
worth lwee yet 639 - 209 = 430 less. ... Nobudy but Professional builders get paid for their time in this hobby.
v Just mess'n wid ya .... Great Look'n Jug ... Hope ya get
What UR ask'n. Any way If I paid 4 Grand
It would never get flown.
Hope to see the Maiden Video.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:23 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the ad down, the thought of selling it was upsetting my stomach....[]

Sorry for the drama guys. LOL
I was almost there, was checking my rat holes all over the house to try and get the 4k.. Would you take $3952.48 (Canadian)............But I will need to see a flight vid first before I make up my mind...
Old 03-10-2013, 07:25 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: thebeave

Jim , hanger9 sells a set that are 5 1/8" in diameter for their 30cc p47. I bought a set at horizon hobbies for a little over twenty bucks i believe shipped. They are a bit on the skinny side compared to some wheels i've seen. But it's actually a good thing as it kept me from having to use a bunch of shim to allow the gear to close and lock completely. If you get the time maybe you could check them out.

p.s If you go back to page #37, there's a couple of pictures of them next to the ones i was going to use. The hanger9 ones are to the left in the photo. One more thing... they also include a flat solid dish to cover the back side of the wheel.
Thanks Beave,
I will check them out................
Old 03-10-2013, 07:34 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40
I was almost there, was checking my rat holes all over the house to try and get the 4k.. Would you take $3952.48 (Canadian)............[img][/img][img][/img] But I will need to see a flight vid first before I make up my mind...[img][/img]

How do you guys set up split elevators? I used an AccuThrow meter and got the travel adjusted both up and down equally, eye balled it, held my tongue several different ways, and then decided that it's close enough. Just wondering if there is a more precise way to do it?
Old 03-10-2013, 07:35 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: TonyBuilder

This has been a subject I have been wanting to talk about. I was just waiting for the right time. As most of us scale builders know anything can happen in flight and it eventually does.
The first reaction I get from pilots at the field when I bring a kit like Gary's to fly they say "man I would be so scared to fly that" Fear is ones worst enemy!
They say they could never fly it! If one has fear then your better off not flying it. For me building a kit like this is all about flying it, otherwise I would get an ARF and just fly and not care. What makes us kit builders is that we do fly these amazing builds, and we do it without fear. So as kit builders we build as reliable as we can, we train and improve our skills so we can fly these planes with confidence. That is one reason I started flying 3D, it has made me a better pilot and given me confidence. I also invested in a Flight Sim! I still get the " whats going on, your flying 3D now, thought you were a scale warbird flyer" I am, and I am foremost a pilot, and a kit builder!
So as we kit builders build these very intense and expensive planes what do you do to better your skills and how do you approach this level of this hobby. I know it is off subject but very relevant.
TB
Tony,
great post and one to think about... 3-D has helped me a bunch as well, it has really sharpened my hand eye quickness... The other thing that has helped me is flying as many different types of planes and this might sound strange, but the little indoor micros have helped a bunch.. Try flying a perfect set with one of them....

The other thing that I always do before flying the good stuff so to say...
I always have a warm up plane with me, one that I an very relaxed flying.. I will take a flight or two with that and it takes out any fear that I might have had of flying the $$$$.. For me it's my Hangar 9 Katana-50, just a sweet flying plane that really warms my fingers up...

Jimbo
Old 03-10-2013, 07:53 AM
Mustangman40

I was almost there, was checking my rat holes all over the house to try and get the 4k.. Would you take $3952.48 (Canadian)............[img][/img][img][/img]But I will need to see a flight vid first before I make up my mind...[img][/img]

How do you guys set up split elevators? I used an AccuThrow meter and got the travel adjusted both up and down equally, eye balled it, held my tongue several different ways, and then decided that it's close enough. Just wondering if there is a more precise way to do it?
Gary,
I use a pair of these...
I level the stab and clip one on a elv half and adjust to zero, then I clamp one on the other half and adjust to zero as well...Once both are at zero, I will move to full deflection and program the servo till they are both reading the same, then leave them on and check the numbers as you go from zero to full..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77637.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1860279  
Old 03-10-2013, 08:21 AM
TonyBuilder

I am currently flying a 50cc Sbach, Katana 50, AJ Slick 59" and a 3DHS foamy Extra 330sg The foamy is my practice and warm up plane. I sold all my scale planes last year because I was frustrated with my progress, and just flat out bored. Flying different types of planes is good. Just have to be aware of what they can do. The thing about 3D planes is it teaches me to control a plane that is out of control, but that doesn't work with warbirds and scale planes. So my best defense is to avoid trouble in the first place. Like flying to slow on landings and using to much throttle on aborted landings, these are things a 3D plane can survive unlike the heavy metal warbirds.
TB
Old 03-10-2013, 08:26 AM
TonyBuilder

Take some sticks and tape them to the elevator, make sure they clear the ruder if you don't have a removable ruder, then you can line them up that way, meters aren't always accurate.
TB

Old 03-10-2013, 08:41 AM
Mustangman40

Jim , hanger9 sells a set that are 5 1/8" in diameter for their 30cc p47. I bought a set at horizon hobbies for a little over twenty bucks i believe shipped. They are a bit on the skinny side compared to some wheels i've seen. But it's actually a good thing as it kept me from having to use a bunch of shim to allow the gear to close and lock completely. If you get the time maybe you could check them out.

p.s If you go back to page #37, there's a couple of pictures of them next to the ones i was going to use. The hanger9 ones are to the left in the photo. One more thing... they also include a flat solid dish to cover the back side of the wheel.
Beave,
those are pretty nice for the money.. Have you fitted them yet? The 5 1/8" scares me as it's a tight fit with 5", but them being on the skinny side is a bigplus.. I think for the money, I will get a set. Even if I don't use them, I will have a plane one day that will.... Thanks for the tip.........
Old 03-10-2013, 09:00 AM
thebeave

Jim, Yes they're in the wing right now. It took just a smidgeon of extra carving on the ribs for them to fit just right. The fact that they are a bit thin solved alot of my perceived problems as far as gear functioning once they were installed. I would have loved a set of the robarts also, but for now i just can't see getting them.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Mustangman40

Jim, Yes they're in the wing right now. It took just a smidgeon of extra carving on the ribs for them to fit just right. The fact that they are a bit thin solved alot of my perceived problems as far as gear functioning once they were installed. I would have loved a set of the robarts also, but for now i just can't see getting them.

Good to here, I already called my LHS and they will be in on Tuesday.......... Did you have to shim the gear much to get it how you wanted? I was going to epoxy my rails in today and beef them up some, I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel on this build........
Old 03-10-2013, 09:53 AM
pipons

Tony____ i can only hope that this thread lives on as i am definitely going to need a ton of help being the fact that this is the first plane i am building .

___By the way what kind of glue is everyone using? I think from now on im going to use the titebond glue as i don't mind the time it takes to dry.
For some reason it seems like the thin ca and the medium ca is not really working for me. I have no idea why but i think when you use the thin ca the joint has to be balsa to balsa and i feel like it doesn't really soak into the ply to well. does this seem right?
Ok so im going to go down to the work shop and glue up some stringers and then a little later im going to figure out how to post some pics on here so you guys can see

And thanks so much for the reassurance that its OK to ask away here guys ....
Old 03-10-2013, 09:59 AM
pipons

would you guys be able to tell how you post pics... im sure its easy just dont know how
Old 03-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: pipons

would you guys be able to tell how you post pics... im sure its easy just dont know how
pipons,

Click quote and click Click here to upload images and files!

Follow the instructions.

Zor
Old 03-10-2013, 10:14 AM
pipons

ok got it guys i actually went to the upload pictures post here on the site and figured it out and i even post some pics of my motorcycle there for test run and it wiorked well
so now when i get thje pics on the computer i will post them in a bit
right now its time to build
Old 03-10-2013, 10:15 AM
pipons

ORIGINAL: Zor

ORIGINAL: pipons

pipons,

Click quote and click http://<font color=''#00265e''>Click... files!</font>

Follow the instructions.

Zor
thanks bud
Old 03-10-2013, 10:22 AM
TonyBuilder

Titebond, CA, 30min epoxy, Gorilla glue.
TB
Old 03-10-2013, 10:23 AM
shrek514

Hey guys i decided to glaze my hangar 9 p-47 30 cc.  I noticed that all the tips of my control surfaces are made of fiberglass. My question is do i fiberglass over the tips to make it even or do i just fiberglass the balsa up to the fiberglass tops. Any help would be appreciated
Old 03-10-2013, 10:29 AM
shrek514

ORIGINAL: shrek514

Hey guys i decided to glaze my hangar 9 p-47 30 cc. I noticed that all the tips of my control surfaces are made of fiberglass. My question is do i fiberglass over the tips to make it even or do i just fiberglass the balsa up to the fiberglass tops. Any help would be appreciated
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32415.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	1860344  
Old 03-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Zor
Banned

pipons,

Looking forward for some of your pictures.

Zor
Old 03-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Mustangman40

Hey guys i decided to glaze my hangar 9 p-47 30 cc. I noticed that all the tips of my control surfaces are made of fiberglass. My question is do i fiberglass over the tips to make it even or do i just fiberglass the balsa up to the fiberglass tops. Any help would be appreciated

If it was me I would go over the tip as well for two reasons. One to keep it all even and you don't know how well they are glued on, the glass will keep them on.....
Old 03-10-2013, 01:45 PM
thebeave

Jim, I just cut a piece for each rail out of some of the leftover 1/8" ply. I then angled the gear slightly towards the spar. Meaning, that the mount was moved a little towards the leading edge. This way i was able to tilt the front edge of the wheel up slightly allowing the gear to go up and lock fully. I had to experiment a little while before i got it how i wanted but it was pretty easy to do. Hope this helped....
Old 03-10-2013, 01:46 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

I took the ad down, the thought of selling it was upsetting my stomach....[]

Sorry for the drama guys. LOL
I was almost there, was checking my rat holes all over the house to try and get the 4k.. Would you take $3952.48 (Canadian)............But I will need to see a flight vid first before I make up my mind...
Ya know what it's like when ya put all that blod and sweat in a project. You'rd sooner part with the Kid(s) or the wife ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.