Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Dirty Birdy 60

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Dirty Birdy 60

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 08:32 AM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Dirty Birdy 60

This fiberglass Dirty Bridi Short Kit is available now and many other Classic Pattern planes. For a current list you can email me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61614.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	1668890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64235.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	1668891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31236.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1668892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh12901.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	1668893  
Old 10-02-2011, 10:30 AM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wing taper is what is making the CG look wrong. The CG as marked on the plans is perfect.

Dave
Old 10-02-2011, 02:22 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Perry Directional Porting....a type of porting that scavenges the fuel charge better and produces a little more power from the same displacement. Not quite as much as Schneurle porting but close. Both of these types of porting are characterized by the fact that the piston no longer has a baffle on top, among other things.
My HB .61 PDP has a baffle... The porting scavenges used fuel off the dead side of the baffle offering a boost in power.

Putting a pipe on it makes it very happy!

Your HB 61 will be fine. You will be happier with a tuned pipe is all we are saying...

Brian
Old 10-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Brian, I have never fooled with that engine so I don't have a clue. Doesn't the pipe mess up the mid range like on most engines??
Old 10-02-2011, 04:23 PM
sawdust
My Feedback: (7)

Ok you guys have convinced me to go ahead and get the DB kit and start on it.

If I have any questions not already covered I know where to get some help and advice.

My Tower Kaos is a lot of fun to fly. Hopefully it will help me transition to the DB.

Todd
Old 10-03-2011, 03:00 AM
Kaos Rulz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You won't regret getting the DB and you should transition easily from the TH Kaos, even though it's a 40 sized plane. I have a ST 75 on my DB (all balsa) and it flys with authority. For the price of a ST engine, you might want to consider, otherwise I would recommend a pipe for your engine.
Best of luck and please keep us posted.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Gray Beard

I think I have flown every size kaos ever built and they all fly the same no mater what one you have. The DB will fly just like your ARF Kaos. The difference is the bigger you go the smoother they get. The roll rate slows down and they become more stable in level flight. If you can fly the small Kaos then your going to love the bigger DB. I was going to build another of the 80 inch Kaos after I folded the wing on the one I had. That was my bad, I was flying it like it was a 60 size and doing bad things with it. Anyway, BJ was out of the Big Bee and big Kaos kits at the time so I built something else. You will love it!!
Old 10-03-2011, 10:24 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

ORIGINAL: Ilikebipes

Perry Directional Porting....a type of porting that scavenges the fuel charge better and produces a little more power from the same displacement. Not quite as much as Schneurle porting but close. Both of these types of porting are characterized by the fact that the piston no longer has a baffle on top, among other things.
My HB .61 PDP has a baffle... The porting scavenges used fuel off the dead side of the baffle offering a boost in power.

Putting a pipe on it makes it very happy!

Your HB 61 will be fine. You will be happier with a tuned pipe is all we are saying...

Brian
Best bang for the buck I found on my HB .61 PDP was the Jett Muffler. I found my HB really came alive one flight and after I landed I realized the muffler had fallen off (ran great without it). The stock muffler really limits power. How much? - I don't know but there was a noticeable increase in power without the muffer or with the Jett muffler.

My PDP version with the HB carb is an excellent runner! Easy to tune and decent power.

I don't recommend building a DB as a tail dragger with retracts. Too much work around the spar for the wheel wells.

The DB is an easy build, and great flyer! Build the BlueJay if you like wood or Don has glass/foam kits. Either way you'll have an awesome plane!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47851.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	1669425  
Old 10-03-2011, 01:53 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

Brian, I have never fooled with that engine so I don't have a clue. Doesn't the pipe mess up the mid range like on most engines??

Sorry for taking so long to answer this...

The answer is (for all 2 cycle engines):

If you tune the header as instructed by Macs (which is for MAXIMUM RPM)... then yes. The midrange will suck.

That is why you get the term: "Coming on the pipe..." because the header isn't tuned properly for the porting in the engine and won't deliver power until the timing (adjustment) is correct (WOT). If all you want to do is run WOT all the time, then I'd tune it as Macs instructs.

If you tune the header for maximum PERFORMANCE... then no.

This will give a solid and comfortable transition through the midrange. Granted you will not get the max rpm you would from the other method, but you will still have gobs of more power than without. It depends on your flying goals.

Dean Pappas has written an article on this with instructions. If your interested, I can send that to you... You should build another Bridi pattern kit!

The tuned muffler will eliminate the tuning problems with a tuned pipe and offer everything Jeff explained above. I do not believe you will get as much out of the tuned muffler as you would with a pipe however. But it is still a big boost.

Brian
Old 10-03-2011, 02:44 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

I just saw an old Dirty Birdy kit on ebay.

Guys asking $200 plus $50 shipping. Ouch!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bridi-R-C-gl...item2a1484be14
Old 10-03-2011, 02:47 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

That's a real beautiful plane you have there AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken!
Old 10-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Gray Beard

And yet you can buy one from for about $100.00 from Blue Jay?? I did make templates of every part and kept my instructions and plans just in case Blue Jay colses it's doors.