Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Stick & Tissue Kit Building Help Please

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Stick & Tissue Kit Building Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 09:13 PM
leadfootdriver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stick & Tissue Kit Building Help Please

I'm currently working on converting a Guillows 16 & 1/2" P-40 Into electric power by using the electronics out of my Parkzone Ultra micro Corsair. I want to cover it traditionally with tissue, but I want to try out that Japanese tissue I don"t care much for what Guillows supplies with their kits, and I heard this is the way to go these days? I cant find any of this tissue though, and if I cant get the Japanese stuff Ill look at Hobby Lobby or Michaels for some of any type. I also have a question, how would I cover this kit, and get it to look like this model? I stumbled upon this while surfing the web. http://www.elitemodelsonline.co.uk/P...EA-FURY-216ins
Old 10-22-2011, 09:18 PM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stick & Tissue Kit Building Help Please

A quick Google search pulled up this site: http://darehobby.com/accessories/tissue02.htm

Cheers,
Old 10-23-2011, 12:29 AM
leadfootdriver

Thank you I couldn't find anything cheap like this anywhere I must need to shorten my search queries or something is there any special or suggested ways to apply this type of tissue to the model? I'm used to the nitrate dope mixed 50/50 with thinner method
Old 10-23-2011, 10:08 AM
tschuy

The Google search words I used were "Japanese model tissue" and the link came up with what I shared. I personally used this tissue some time ago and had good results following these same steps:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213658

Old 10-23-2011, 01:53 PM
leadfootdriver

Yeah I put in way too much text then lol thank you for the help, when I found a few links I found only reams of the stuff, but I gave up to quick with the search. Anyways, again is there any special tricks to applying this type of tissue, or anything I should know before I try it out? I don't want to mess up Ive only done two other stick and tissue models, and well fixing errors you make with tissue are pretty hard for me to fix without breaking the formers, or stringers. But then again I was only like 14 or 15 when I first did them, and my modeling skills have increased significantly since then but I like to make things work on the first try.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:34 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Here is how I used to apply.  Get DuPont Duco cement and thin about 25% with some acetone to make it brushable.  Brush a medium coat on your frame and then dry.  Stretch your silkspan over the frame and brush through it with some acetone to reactivate the cement.  Hold and it will dry quickly.  Follow up with thinned clear dope.

You can apply the silkspan damp this way.  Then it will really dry smooth but watch for warps.  You can steam those out.

BTW, this can be a real challenge but fun project.  And the finish can be beautiful.  Even more fun when you use colored silkspan rather than painting.  If you can't find the color you need, you can color the white by dampening it with some water with food coloring.  You could do a tan or green top and light blue underbelly this way and then just paint or decal on insignia and the shark's mouth.  Finish out with just enough thinned clear dope to seal.

Tom
Old 10-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: leadfootdriver
........Anyways, again is there any special tricks to applying this type of tissue, or anything I should know before I try it out? I don't want to mess up Ive only done two other stick and tissue models, and well fixing errors you make with tissue are pretty hard for me to fix without breaking the formers, or stringers.
Check some of these related articles:

http://www.pensacolafreeflight.org/page5/page5.html

For tissue:

http://www.pennvalleyhobbycenter.com...ies/tissue.htm

http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/esaki.htm
Old 10-23-2011, 04:30 PM
tschuy

Silk Span has a totally different feel to covering then what Japanese Tissue. Its more like a fabric rather then a paper. I would not use the Acetone/ Dupont Duco trick as it will cause the Japanese tissue to bleed its color...
Old 10-23-2011, 05:03 PM
leadfootdriver

To be quite honest you guys lost me with the word silkspan I'm know it's a type of covering but I don't know anything about it at all I'm going to just use the Japanese tissue but I'm curious what silkspan is and what its made with maybe Ill try it on the next model I go through airframes fairly often and thanks for the links guys, oh and can you spray paint tissue?