Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Another ARF bashing thread?...Not really

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Another ARF bashing thread?...Not really

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 08:27 AM
wildlifeguy
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another ARF bashing thread?...Not really

I'm relatively new on RCU, but have been reading a lot. I've read many of the ARF bashing threads and can agree with both sides. I really don't care what people choose, it is their hobby to enjoy however they want. I personally enjoy building from kits, so I generally choose kits and will probalby continue to do so unless the airplane style I want is not available as a kit.

One of the biggest arguments I hear against ARF's is that you are not building, but assembling.

My question/comment is then, at what point of kit contents does it become assembling and not building? For instance a scratch builder may not consider a laser cut parts kit building. I've only built a few kits in my on and off 15 years of flying (probably only 6 years total actually flying).One of my first kits was an old great planes kit. Many of the parts were die cut, but there were no tabs to align the wing ribs on the table, no interlocking fuselage parts to ensure proper location and right angles. It was relying heavily on the plans for location, measuring, using squares, and triangle stock to strengthen joints. Forgot to mention the intense amount of sawdust from the never ending sanding and cutting. It was a lot of work, but I really enjoyed it. Fast forward to a more recent greatplanes kit. Now I had interlocking parts. Wow, that made building easier. I didn't even think of this post idea until I built my most recent kit this January, a SIG SSE. I think I used the plans once to line up the wing ribs. About 3/4 of the way through the build (assembly?) I asked out loud if this can actually be considered a kit or an ARF. I found it absurd (not complaining here, I was excited to get this plane in the air) that I could have a kit flight ready within 2.5 weeks of opening the box. It seemed as simple as pouring the parts on a table and dousing them with CA.

I love the plane, literally fell together straight and true and flies great on top of that. However, I'm not as proud of it because I don't feel I really built it.

Thoughts, comments? Maybe being a builder is a relative term. At what point are we not considered building, but assembling?
Old 01-25-2012, 09:18 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Another ARF bashing thread?...Not really

A lot depends on the kit. Something like the SSE is like calling a "Paint-By-Numbers" an Oil Painting
Old 01-25-2012, 09:45 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some model airplane guys are W - A - A - A - Y too fond of generating sawdust and smelling adhesives. It's in their blood, they can't help themselves.

I know an enthusiastic machinist, he once told me "It's great, you just take a block of aluminim and machine away everything that doesn't look like a Corvette outside mirror housing!"

People like that might not see the point of a Laser cut kit. Others might have a lesser degree of appreciation, and others want the big parts to fit together as delivered. Still others want someone else to do the assembly work.

And, of course, some of us take out our aggression writing lengthy posts...

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 01-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Simple answer is a kit is a box full of wood and an ARF is a box with a few finished parts you have to glue on to make a flying aircraft. Then there are ARFs that require a lot more assembling but it's still just finished parts getting glue on or in.
Another point is the term scratch building. A true scratch builder starts with a bland sheet of paper, designs and draws out all the parts then cuts his own kit and builds the plane.
I'm more of a plans builder. I have done true scratch building but that just way more work then I want to do. I just buy someone Else's plans and cut my own kit from those then build. It isn't all that hard and doesn't take a lot of time. It does allow me to fly planes you never see at a field and I like that a lot. It's just an added part of building that I enjoy.
My problem with an ARF is how lightly they are built meaning weak air frames. I fly my plans too hard and ARFs can't stand up to the stress I put them through for very long.
I have no trouble with ARFs or people that fly them. I do get upset when people think gluing in a wing and stab is building and not assembling. I also get upset when magazines post photos of someone showing off there ARF BUILT from an XYZ kit. I do see the reason for people calling them ARF kits though for lack of a better term. That box of pre cut parts is a kit of some sort. I haven't been able to come up with a better term for them myself. I am open to other terms for them, serious terms, not some derogatory term that any 6 year old could come up with. I just have a problem calling them kits. Plans builders and kit builders, about the same thing, ARFs are assembled. Everyone flying is having fun so it isn't a big deal.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:09 AM
sideng

I would say that the model airplane "hobby" has traditionally been based on kits, so that is where I would draw the line, regardless of the nature of the kit. To one side of that would be scratch builders, who build from plans, or even more extreme would be those who design their own. To the other side, would be ARF or RTF, depending on whether the "hobby" of building or the "sport" of flying are most important to you. As a person who enjoys the building more than the flying, I gravitate toward kits, but many I know love to fly, but just have no time to build. To each his own. A similar argument could be made for gas (glow) or electric as well, as some consider only "engine" powered models to be "real" model airplanes. I would ask if buying an electric RTF is different in any way from buying any other "toy" or is it still a "hobby"? Just my 2c.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:12 AM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Activities:
    [*]Design - create the plans[*]Cut-n-package - cut the pieces and package all necessary wood & hardware[*]Build - trim, glue, clamp, bleed & swear[*]Cover - plan scheme, collect materials & apply[*]Assemble - screw, glue, install electronics & trim[*]Fly[/list]Hobbiest:
      [*]Renascence Man - design, cut-n-package, build, cover, assemble & fly[*]Scratch builder - cut-n-package, build, cover, assemble & fly[*]Kit builder - build, cover, assemble & fly[*]ARC - cover, assemble & fly[*]ARF - assemble & fly[*]RTF - fly[/list]
Old 01-25-2012, 10:51 AM
outdoorhunting

Question; If all I build are the newer "lazer-cut kits, does THAT make me less of a builder ? If all I build are the "older kits that every piece has to be sanded to make it fit, does THAT make me a better builder ? If all I build are ARFs does that make me less interested in our hobby?? I sure wish we could get over the petty stuff of " you don't really build, you assemble a plane if you do ARFs. We need to remember what the "end point" is We pretty much ALL love the hobby for one reason or another, whether it's " building kits, assembling ARFs, scratch building, or building from plans. Some for just flying,& some just to "get out with the guys!!!! I know we ALL have our preferences, but if one guy does it another way does NOT make him any less interested !!! My favorite is probably kit building, ARFs come in second & plan building comes in third.( As I get older,I get lazier.) Some guys take 20 hours to do a kit build,it usually takes me 70 hours. That don't mean I am or they are a "better builder !!! I admitt it's kinda fun to slap an ARF together in 3 or 4 hours & go fly sometimes. Like GB , ARFs don't last me as long as my "kit builts do. But then the ARFS will give me more experience " rebuilding" when I put one in ! That's my 2 cents !!!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:10 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: SeamusG

Activities:
    [*]Design - create the plans[*]Cut-n-package - cut the pieces and package all necessary wood & hardware[*]Build - trim, glue, clamp, bleed & swear[*]Cover - plan scheme, collect materials & apply[*]Assemble - screw, glue, install electronics & trim[*]Fly[/list]Hobbiest:
      [*]Renascence Man - design, cut-n-package, build, cover, assemble & fly[*]Scratch builder - cut-n-package, build, cover, assemble & fly[*]Kit builder - build, cover, assemble & fly[*]ARC - cover, assemble & fly[*]ARF - assemble & fly[*]RTF - fly[/list]
SeamusG, a very good summary! I have been building and flying models since 1953. During that time I have scratch built maybe 4 planes, built 5 from plans, kit built about 75 planes, and assembled 16 ARFs. I enjoy installing the engine and electronics most, building a close second, and painting/covering least. Currently I am finishing up a TF P-47 60 size ARF and building a TF Ultra Sport 60. During the week if the weather is nice you will find me out at the field flying with my friends. What is important to me is the finished plane and how it flys. Does it get my attention on looks, not whether I built or assembled it. One qualifier, I want it to be a plane I have invested some time in. Therefore I have never had a RTF or purchased a finished plane from some one else. As to others' planes, I could not care less how they acquired them, but if they have built them I will admire their workmanship.

Bruce
Old 01-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: outdoorhunting

Question; If all I build are the newer ''lazer-cut kits, does THAT make me less of a builder ? If all I build are the ''older kits that every piece has to be sanded to make it fit, does THAT make me a better builder ? If all I build are ARFs does that make me less interested in our hobby?? I sure wish we could get over the petty stuff of '' you don't really build, you assemble a plane if you do ARFs. We need to remember what the ''end point'' is We pretty much ALL love the hobby for one reason or another, whether it's '' building kits, assembling ARFs, scratch building, or building from plans. Some for just flying,& some just to ''get out with the guys!!!! I know we ALL have our preferences, but if one guy does it another way does NOT make him any less interested !!! My favorite is probably kit building, ARFs come in second & plan building comes in third.( As I get older,I get lazier.) Some guys take 20 hours to do a kit build,it usually takes me 70 hours. That don't mean I am or they are a ''better builder !!! I admitt it's kinda fun to slap an ARF together in 3 or 4 hours & go fly sometimes. Like GB , ARFs don't last me as long as my ''kit builts do. But then the ARFS will give me more experience '' rebuilding'' when I put one in ! That's my 2 cents !!!

No. Just build or own want ever you want, not by what others think you should do. I build from scratch, build kits, assembled and built ARF's and owned RTF, BnF and RTC. Sometimes I like owning and flying a ARF just to have fun and I like the old discontinued ARF aircraft and "Bashing" them because they are hard to replace. They are somewhat of a collectors item in some instances.

There is no room in this hobby for people that like to put others down for what others have chosen to own or build. It doesn't happen in clubs and isn't tolerated at large events. It only happens in places like RCU and RCG because people have nothing better to do than to Troll, or try to make themselves look better because they like to build kits and everyone else is a bunch of loosers for not wanting to build and own a ARF instead.

Lazer or Stamped doesn't matter. Lazer just has a better cut and better edge on the wood parts than the stamped kits do. (Guillow kits are stamped) No matter what you choose to enjoy, just have fun and when you get enough experience- half the fun is teaching others how to build, cover and modify things.

Pete
Old 01-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: outdoorhunting

Question; If all I build are the newer ''lazer-cut kits, does THAT make me less of a builder ? If all I build are the ''older kits that every piece has to be sanded to make it fit, does THAT make me a better builder ? If all I build are ARFs does that make me less interested in our hobby?? I sure wish we could get over the petty stuff of '' you don't really build, you assemble a plane if you do ARFs. We need to remember what the ''end point'' is We pretty much ALL love the hobby for one reason or another, whether it's '' building kits, assembling ARFs, scratch building, or building from plans. Some for just flying,& some just to ''get out with the guys!!!! I know we ALL have our preferences, but if one guy does it another way does NOT make him any less interested !!! My favorite is probably kit building, ARFs come in second & plan building comes in third.( As I get older,I get lazier.) Some guys take 20 hours to do a kit build,it usually takes me 70 hours. That don't mean I am or they are a ''better builder !!! I admitt it's kinda fun to slap an ARF together in 3 or 4 hours & go fly sometimes. Like GB , ARFs don't last me as long as my ''kit builts do. But then the ARFS will give me more experience '' rebuilding'' when I put one in ! That's my 2 cents !!!
Nope, just a lucky one. Laser is just another form of cutting the parts. When someone has me build there kit for them I am thrilled to death when it turns out to be laser cut. Just because it is cut by laser doesn't always mean the parts all fit better. I have run into kits that were laser cut and total crap. The cutting is only as good as the plans/designs they were cut from. I have also run into crush cut kits that fit perfectly and just required the rough edges to be sanded. How well a die cut kit is also depends on how many kits have been cut with that set of dies. Last year I built two Golberg Cubs. One the parts just fell out of the sheets, the other I had to take to my wood shop and run the wood sheets through the over head micro sander several times and still had to use a razor knife to get the parts out. Same kit, same maker, just worn out die against a brand new set.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:41 PM
SeamusG

Hey GB - you'd be one of them "Renascence" guys for sure!!!!
Old 01-26-2012, 07:02 AM
wildlifeguy
My Feedback: (5)

Great comments.  Surprised me a little after seeing many other opinionated threads bashing each other.  It kind of confirmed my experiences so far in this hobby.  Most are in it to have fun which ever way makes it most fun for you.  Whether that means building from scratch or screwing the wings and tail on a RTF model.  Only one time did I meet someone in this hobby who made me feel unwelcome; I was visiting a friend in another city and we went to one of the local clubs to see if we could fly as a guest for the day.  The one person that was there, before seeing my abilities or introducing himself made it very clear that he didn't like that we were there.  Everyone else I have met with a wide variety of models, flying, and building experience have been more than helpful and welcoming.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Zor
Banned

Hi guys,

Just finished reading this thread and found it very interesting .

It did not change my outlook on this hobby.

Lots of reference to "having fun" . Quite often "having fun" really means "solving a challenge".

Time spent in our activities in this hobby is mostly "leisure time" occupied doing something useful, something that enhances our knowledge of technology and sciences as a mental culture and development as compared to spend time at the local pub or watching the "boob tube (TV)" or chasing the "boobs (other sex)".

For me it is more than "fun". Whichever way one may define the word "fun".
It is time spent that satisfy the urge of the moment. At one moment it is drafting a model (design), at another moment it is cutting wood or fabricating a small item (ferrules to attach flying wires), gluing pieces together, assembling finished components (putting wings, feathers, landing gear, engine or motor, mounting the electronics, and so on).

The final goal is to end up with a flying machine and the satisfaction of flying it.

I believe that all participants in this hobbyhave their own outlook and it depends on the time and money they have for leisure and what gives them the most mental satisfaction.

Nothing is accomplished by judging the outlook of anyone else type of activities.

Enjoy your outlook and let others enjoy theirs.

Zor

Old 02-21-2012, 12:36 AM
jlingrel

The big difference between the older die cut kits and the newer laser cut ones are the lack of the smash cuts. Building a laser cut kit generally makes a straighter airplane. My preference, laser cut. I have had 2 ARFs, and they are the last that I will own. They flew well, but did not have the pride of being built by me.

John
Old 02-21-2012, 04:30 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: wildlifeguy

I'm relatively new on RCU, but have been reading a lot. I've read many of the ARF bashing threads and can agree with both sides. I really don't care what people choose, it is their hobby to enjoy however they want. I personally enjoy building from kits, so I generally choose kits and will probalby continue to do so unless the airplane style I want is not available as a kit.

One of the biggest arguments I hear against ARF's is that you are not building, but assembling.

My question/comment is then, at what point of kit contents does it become assembling and not building? For instance a scratch builder may not consider a laser cut parts kit building. I've only built a few kits in my on and off 15 years of flying (probably only 6 years total actually flying).One of my first kits was an old great planes kit. Many of the parts were die cut, but there were no tabs to align the wing ribs on the table, no interlocking fuselage parts to ensure proper location and right angles. It was relying heavily on the plans for location, measuring, using squares, and triangle stock to strengthen joints. Forgot to mention the intense amount of sawdust from the never ending sanding and cutting. It was a lot of work, but I really enjoyed it. Fast forward to a more recent greatplanes kit. Now I had interlocking parts. Wow, that made building easier. I didn't even think of this post idea until I built my most recent kit this January, a SIG SSE. I think I used the plans once to line up the wing ribs. About 3/4 of the way through the build (assembly?) I asked out loud if this can actually be considered a kit or an ARF. I found it absurd (not complaining here, I was excited to get this plane in the air) that I could have a kit flight ready within 2.5 weeks of opening the box. It seemed as simple as pouring the parts on a table and dousing them with CA.

I love the plane, literally fell together straight and true and flies great on top of that. However, I'm not as proud of it because I don't feel I really built it.

Thoughts, comments? Maybe being a builder is a relative term. At what point are we not considered building, but assembling?
Hello wildlifeguy and all readers,

You were asking for thoughts, comments? Here are a few ..........
For me a builder is an individual who assemble parts in the process of building something .
In our hobby it usually is a model airplane and not necessarily radio controlled.

I may be assembling two parts using glue to hold them together or using some fastener like nails, screws, bolts, staples or interlocking shapes.
I may have built those parts or acquired them from having bought a kit.

If I built the parts, I had to use some materials that I did not build but acquired in some way, bought, scrounged, salvaged, recycled or whatever.

So being a builder is any individual (person) who assemble things.

At what point are we not considered building, but assembling?
If we make the parts ourselves we are building them.
Then we assemble the parts whether we built them or acquired them in some way.

End of comments ........... ..........

Zor

Old 02-21-2012, 09:18 AM
ARUP

I am currently 'fixing' a couple of Fokker Drl arf 'kits' I bought a few years ago from Arizona Models. It has been fun and frustrating at the same time. These arfs have taught me to never make another arf purchase. It isn't that they are bad kits but the fact that I'm a little anal in the 'scaleness' of them. I guess I just prefer to do it my way! I am currently scratch building a 1932 BS2 'Balestruccio' sailplane which can be found on RCScalebuilder's website. No one will have that sailplane flyng before I do! I'm one of those that like to draw the plans, make as many parts as possible without having to buy them, cut my own wood, etc., etc. Why- I might even acquire a loom so I can make the linen fabric! Just kidding... So long as it's fun get whatever kind of model you want!
Old 02-21-2012, 05:07 PM
KitBuilder

If you make a chair from wood you bought at home depot with your own drawn plans ... your scratch building
If you make a chair from wood you bought at home depot and a set of purchased, etc plans.. your plans building
If you make a chair from a box of unfinished parts requriing cutting, shaping and glueing to make a structure and assemble youur structures into a chair requiring add' work...your kit building
If you make a chair from a box full of finished ready to assmeble pieces from IKEA your assembling (ARS - Almost ready to sit)
The key is "some 'assembley' required". When you see this on things you know exactly what it means.. a screwdriver and maybe a hammer. No cutting.. no sanding.. no shaping.. no finishing.

Or something like that.

I find myself moving from kits to kit bashing to soon plans building..
Old 02-21-2012, 05:50 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I think it all depends on which part of the hobby you like and how much. I think I am 75%-25% I like to build more than fly and I like flying. I have had a couple of ARF's, taught myself to fly on one. I build from kits and plans and I mix it up. I will go from a old school stick kit to a laser cut self jigging kit to building from plans. Sometimes I like a relaxing quick build without alot of hastle and sometimes I want the challenge of a tough kit or builing from plans and cutting all the parts myself. To me the tougher the build the more satisfaction and pride in the finished product.
The great thing about this hobby is there is just about everything available to fit everyone's needs and desires. Kits and ARF's come and go but you can always find something to build and or fly.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 02-22-2012, 07:43 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: WacoNut

I think it all depends on which part of the hobby you like and how much. I think I am 75%-25% I like to build more than fly and I like flying. I have had a couple of ARF's, taught myself to fly on one. I build from kits and plans and I mix it up. I will go from a old school stick kit to a laser cut self jigging kit to building from plans. Sometimes I like a relaxing quick build without alot of hastle and sometimes I want the challenge of a tough kit or builing from plans and cutting all the parts myself. To me the tougher the build the more satisfaction and pride in the finished product.
The great thing about this hobby is there is just about everything available to fit everyone's needs and desires. Kits and ARF's come and go but you can always find something to build and or fly.
Later!!
Anthony
Well said and well written Anthony.

Zor