Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Double Slotted Full Span Fowler lap

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Double Slotted Full Span Fowler lap

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:29 PM
mooseairways

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double Slotted Full Span Fowler lap

Howdy Everyone! I'm currently building an Old Royal C182 true scalekit from 1976 that I bought about 30 yrs ago and stuck in hiding. (Got a Big house and finally found it again!) I own N2060X, a 1985Peterson Wren Conversion, one of 4 in the world with the IO540. (260HP)The rest had the 235's in them. This kit has a 72" wing span and I want to replicate the Double Slotted Full Span Fowler Flap system with the Wrens teeth on the wing, along with the Canard on the engine cowling. The canard and elevator linkages I have figured out, but HINGING the flap system is kind of a challenge, along with incorperating the Wrens Teeth. I think I can make the alerons work with a flexible pushrod (when flaps are extended, as the alerons are incorperated in the flap system) but no one has a hinge out there for a double slotted system. I have some untested ideas but if anyone out there can help I'd appreciate it.
Thanks, Mooseairways. Contact [email protected] for pics of the Wren wing. This will be a challenge as there were approx 2000 extra parts in the Wren wing! Sure flys good tho!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57715.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	1816392  
Old 10-31-2012, 07:07 AM
LargeScale88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Double Slotted Full Span Fowler lap

I don't think you'll find a double slotted full span fowler hinge, but there are 1/4 and 1/5 fowler flap hinges that you could try and modify.

Best thing to do if you have the experience/time is to design your own, make your own, etc. Or, modify the ones in the link below. You may have already seen these Robart hinges, but just incase you haven't:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMRN6&P=7

Not much else I can think of for what your doing, so good luck.

Jason
Old 10-31-2012, 12:43 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Double Slotted Full Span Fowler lap

Here's what I have for a Yokosuka D4Y 'Judy'. The first pic shows maple grooved to receive 'sliders' made of Micarta. There are also some links and levers for a torque rod shown. The next pics are sequential showing how the torque rod drives the sliders. One horn is different than the rest and connects to the flap (not shown). The control surface link is shorter so that as the torque rod spins the shorter link has less motion than the 'sliders'. The flap is top hinged to 'sliders' and bottom hinged to the other shorter link. This is what causes the flaps to droop after they have extended. Takes a little trial and error but is workable. The pics show the wing inverted.