Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 06:09 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sig sales Sig-ment, I bought a case of Ambroid a while ago when I read they weren't going to be making it anymore. I use Ambroid anytime I glue sticks or ribs, I've run wings into fence post and crushed the ribs, but no glue joint has ever failed. I think fileting with white glue is using the wrong product.

I like Gorilla glue, they have a new white Gorilla glue that works twice as fast. Here in NJ once you open it though you better use it within a month our humidity ranges somewhere between a steam-bath and a shower in the summer. With Gorilla glue you have to pin the piece in place, if you don't the expanding foam moves the parts around and will ruin your day.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:02 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soarrich

Sig sales Sig-ment, I bought a case of Ambroid a while ago when I read they weren't going to be making it anymore. I use Ambroid anytime I glue sticks or ribs, I've run wings into fence post and crushed the ribs, but no glue joint has ever failed. I think fileting with white glue is using the wrong product.

I like Gorilla glue, they have a new white Gorilla glue that works twice as fast. Here in NJ once you open it though you better use it within a month our humidity ranges somewhere between a steam-bath and a shower in the summer. With Gorilla glue you have to pin the piece in place, if you don't the expanding foam moves the parts around and will ruin your day.
As can be seen, I follow this thread very attentively.
I supose you meant "Sig sells Sig-ment"

I have not seen Ambroid around here in ages.
I wonder if you glue creatng fillets or not.
I also wonder what you call 'white glue'. The Gorilla glue is white when applied but seem to cure clear.
Same with Weldbond.

It appears the Gorilla glue you used was the expanding type forming foam.
The Gorilla I have is not the expanding type; it is plain wood glue as seen in the pictures I am posting.

My experiments with four glues is to decide which is best for creating fillets and to consider its ease of application for that purpose. I was lucky to find a new tube of SIG-MENT. It is the easiest to apply. The picture I posted showing the glue coming out of the tip is SIG-MENT.

Again I think the attached pics are self explanatory.

Zor
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_7633.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	2056768   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_7634.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	2056769   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_7635.jpg
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	2056770   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_7636.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	2056771  

Last edited by Zor; 12-21-2014 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Corrected three typos and removed a double 'the'
Old 12-22-2014, 12:46 AM
skyrat71

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

December 21st has a significance all it's own here in Alaska: The days can't get any shorter! we had just under 6 hours of daylight today. Oddly enough it was also the first day I've had off work in months that it wasn't raining, foggy or blowing. 32*F, dead calm, no snow on the ground, TIME TO FLY THE KADET!

I got 3 flights totaling less than 20 minutes of flight time on the Seniorita. Everything worked exactly as I thought it should. 3 clicks right rudder trim and she flew hands off at 1/2 throttle. Ailerons are very smooth but the roll rate is 'stately' to say the least. Very pronounced nose up pitching when the flaps are lowered at speed, but the speed bleeds off fast and she just hangs in the air. I'm going to have to work on slowing her down for landing to prevent floating all the way down the runway, but actual ground roll on landing was less than 20 feet when using full flaps. I didn't try a takeoff with flaps, but flaps up ground roll was about 30 feet. Not as impressive as my first Senior, but she has a higher wing and power loading.
Yes, I am happy with her. She turned out to be a very sweet and well mannered lady.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:57 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on your success, skyrat71 !
Old 12-22-2014, 04:54 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you enjoyed the three flights skyrat71.

Just curious if these were initial flights of your Seniorita ?

Zor
Old 12-22-2014, 07:51 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Outstanding skyrat71 - I'm glad to see you've got the lady up again, and THIS late in the year. That's really good. I remember my own C/L days over in Anchorage, -40F and we were shovelling out circles for the planes, then using propane torches to warm the engines enough to start them. I still suffer (greatly sometimes) from the frostbit fingers - 6+ minutes flying with no glove so we could feel the handle.

Ahhhhhh, THOSE were the days.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:06 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Maybe it is a good thing that they are PAST TENSE uh Dave?

Ken
Old 12-22-2014, 09:48 AM
soarrich

Originally Posted by Zor
As can be seen, I follow this thread very attentively.
I supose you meant "Sig sells Sig-ment"
Thanks for pointing that out. Now I see why so many call you a troll.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:57 AM
soarrich

@Dave W
There is nothing that I would want to do at -40° that did not include being inside by a roaring fire. When I was younger I flew no matter what, now I have a building season which is anytime it's below +40°F.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:01 AM
TomCrump

@Dave W
There is nothing that I would want to do at -40° that did not include being inside by a roaring fire. When I was younger I flew no matter what, now I have a building season which is anytime it's below +40°F.
LOL

I don't fly in the cold weather, either. I if I did, I'd get my recently completed Kadet out, and perform the maiden.

Last edited by TomCrump; 12-22-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:09 AM
flyingagin

Originally Posted by TomCrump
LOL

I don't fly in the cold weather, either. I if I did, I'g get my recently completed Kadet out, and perform the maiden.
Did I miss the part where you installed de-icer boots on the wing?

Ken
Old 12-22-2014, 10:17 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by flyingagin
Did I miss the part where you installed de-icer boots on the wing?

Ken
I take my de-icing internally.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:42 AM
flyingagin

I take my de-icing internally.
Good reply Tom, Good one

Ken
Old 12-22-2014, 11:36 AM
skylark-flier

LOL, you guys are funny - you truly are.

Yeah, it's been a fair number of DECADES (last time was in 1978) since I flew in that -40F - - I like to think I at least got smart enough come in from THAT MUCH COLD!!! Of course, my wife will still argue the details (I fly as long as I don't ice-up, usually +35F or better) but no more -40F, or anything even close to it.

Actually, I was out just yesterday with my MidStar-40. Temp was +41, plenty warm enough.

And YES! I love to internally de-ice myself - usually with a cool peach brandy, or 3.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:58 AM
skylark-flier

Zor, as much as I hate to admit it, and I apologize to everyone here for saying this, I've become one of those people who consider you a troll. While I was not the person who began this thread, or the SIG Brotherhood thread, I have been the person who more or less watches over both of them. In that regard, I, personally, would appreciate if you would start your own threads and take your comments and opinions there. The SIG Brotherhood, and the Kadet Brotherhood, was begun as a way of getting SIG and SIG Kadet fans together to compare notes, relate experiences and generally reflect our ideas, opinions and praise of everything SIG. You've gone well beyond that - making ME and many others quite uncomfortable.

I invited you in. I'm now inviting you out.

And to all whom I have offended with this action, my sincere apologies.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:46 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I am not part of either brotherhood but I have built many Sig airplanes including one Jr. Kadet over the years, with that said I figure that is worth just one statement. In regards to your decision, sometimes difficult decisions are the best ones and I for one believe you have done the single most positive thing you could have done for both brotherhoods.

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 12-22-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:57 PM
skyrat71

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you Dave. I had tried to defend freedom of posts in the spirit of brotherhood and circulation of information, but the threads had become confusing and to many post felt antagonistic. We are here for Sig and their Kadets, not arguing semantics, right?

And, yes, it was the Seniorita's first ever flight. Just over 7 years of on-again, off-again work paid off. As for the cold, it wasn't that bad. I too USED to fly no matter what the temp. But I like to think I am older and wiser now. Monokote explodes like a light bulb at -40 and shivering fingers have a habit of finding the propeller rather than the needle valve.

Now that the Seniorita is flying, I have to move to the next project. I have an original Kadet and a Kadet Jr still in the box. I'm leaning towards the original, built totally stock with an older OS .35, covered with Koveral and dope.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:53 PM
soarrich

Thumbs up

LOL

I don't fly in the cold weather, either. I if I did, I'd get my recently completed Kadet out, and perform the maiden.
Your Kadet came out sooo cool. I'm going to try something similar on my Kadet Sr. I'm just starting. I told my friends I was going to start my Sr. Telemaster V1, but that's just going to have to wait, your Kadet is just too cool.

Last edited by soarrich; 12-22-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:56 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I wonder if there is anything I should do on the LT-25 for my daughter other than right off the plans. Only have the left wing panel assembled, and she did a fairly good job at gluing it.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:34 PM
Battle Short
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations on the successful maiden skyrat71! Its good to hear about a build completed.

Glenn
Old 12-22-2014, 07:37 PM
soarrich

Originally Posted by acdii
I wonder if there is anything I should do on the LT-25 for my daughter other than right off the plans. Only have the left wing panel assembled, and she did a fairly good job at gluing it.
Buy pink MonoKote.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:05 PM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Speaking of cold weather. One of the most popular events at our club is the Frozen Finger Fun Fly we have every January 1st. We've had everything from perfect weather, two feet of snow, 40mph winds in the past, and it's never been cancelled. Bring out the shovels, ski's, a pot of chili, and whatever it takes. The events are sometimes a matter of who can get their engine started, taking off and landing in one piece depending on weather. Good times.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:15 PM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Buy pink MonoKote.
Good idea. I notice all the pink items in the sporting goods stores these days. Pink camo is popular.
Or you could decorate it with anything Disney "Frozen", depending on her age.
Do you want to build a snowman? Let it go.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:01 AM
TomCrump

Your Kadet came out sooo cool. I'm going to try something similar on my Kadet Sr. I'm just starting. I told my friends I was going to start my Sr. Telemaster V1, but that's just going to have to wait, your Kadet is just too cool.
Thanks !

It was a fun project. You'll enjoy building yours.

I don't think I posted these pics in this thread. If I'm repeating myself, I aplogise.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_007.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	2057165   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_006.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	2057166   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_012.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	2057167   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_005.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	2057168   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_004.jpg
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	2057169  
Old 12-23-2014, 03:05 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by acdii

Let's see some pics of your daughter's work. Building models with your kids is one of the joys of life !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.