Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Four Star 60

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Four Star 60

Old 02-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Skip
My Feedback: (76)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Four Star 60

I'm about to build a 4 Star 60 and I have heard some guys are shortening the wing one bay. Is the roll rate that anemic? Any other suggestions would be apreciated.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:11 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Four Star 60

The 4-star in any size is a fantastic plane. The roll rate if you build the wing full length isn't something that will "wallow" around the sky. The plane will fly just fine built to full size and you won't wind up wishing you had cut it down. However, cutting it down really wakes the plane up and make it a blast to fly. So I guess you're probably still just as confused as when I started, so I hope I'm not making matters worse. Either way this is a great flying plane. I usually recommend to people based more on their flying skills as this plane is very commonly the 2nd or 3rd plane a new pilot gets. And it has a well earned reputation for this because it is a great flying plane that simply doesn't have any bad habits. I recommend that newer pilots build the wing to full length because it will make the plane more stable and easier for them to fly as they are building up flying skills. But for pilots that have a lot of experience under their belt I recommend they cut the wing bays down to make the plane a little more fun to fly matching their skill level.

So...... I really boils down to where your flying skill are. If you're a newer pilot I would recommend that you build the wing full length. If you are more experienced as a pilot I would recommend cutting bays off the wing (you can actually cut 1 or 2 bays off and still have a good flying plane) for a plane that is a great flying plane.

I have had several 4-Star's over the years and I have flown them both ways. Off the bat I flew a full wing and now anything I build I will cut 2 bays off of each wingtip. I keep a 4-Star 120 with an Evolution 26 on it that I keep around for my "throw around plane" that I use when I need to just have some lazy flying and relax. Many times I will use it as the plane I fly when I first get to the field to "limber up" my fingers and get ready to fly something else that is more demanding.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 02-26-2013, 10:06 PM
joescottsdale

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built one last year and decided to cut one bay off. I really like how it flies. To me, the roll rate is plenty quick and the landings are easy. I had heard the plane was a real floater with a full length wing. I chose the Magnum 91 4 stroke as the engine.

This is my third plane and so I wanted a plane that would be a little more sporty. 

Good luck with it!

Old 02-27-2013, 04:40 AM
Skip

Thanks that helps a lot. I will shorten the wing a few bays.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:41 AM
koastrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skip, you have read some first class advice. They are right about the Four Star. Just a great plane. Fun to fly, fun to build, and east to modify. We are lucky to have such planes!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:00 AM
outdoorhunting

Uh !! Hope ya didn't missunderstand. ONEbay each side !!! Enjoy !!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:43 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use that plane to teach building and it's everything Ken said. Depending on the student I may or may not cut the bays, it's fine as designed but an advanced student is the one I remove two wing bays for. Even then it's a floater and an easy plane to fly but it does help the roll rate. Last one I built with a student was with the full wing and it still does a nice roll, just a bit slower but that teaches you how to use the elevator and rudder when rolling.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:46 AM
Skip

I will remove one bay on each wing
Old 02-27-2013, 10:55 AM
AERORICH73

Hi Fellows: Ok, there seems to be a missing thought here about the wing size. The situation can be unconfused if you build two wings. With all of the parts to make what templetes are needed, the shorter wing can be built over the plans, and give you the option of how wild of flying you want to do on any occation.

Cheers!!!

Rich

[email protected]