Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

DynaFlite Super Decathlon Kit Bash and Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

DynaFlite Super Decathlon Kit Bash and Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 07:20 AM
funnotcrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also like to see kits for sale - [email protected]
Old 02-20-2015, 08:32 AM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

Hello agian funnotcrazy, please tell me the model # or sku # of the tail wheel bracket you bought from hobby king. & what size one did you get. There were three or four sizes but none less than $10.00
most were $18.50,$19.80,$15.70. Im looking for the one you bought price does not matter. I suspect you got the sku 017000028 which is the 26cc to 30cc size.
Thanks for your reply. I am looking forward to building my super decath in marc. Getting stuff now got a dle 35 ra engine already. Thanks frankie
Old 02-21-2015, 10:18 AM
funnotcrazy

trainermaster - I bought that tailwheel quite a while back, do not have receipt or sku #. I am too poor (&too cheap) to pay $18-20. I remember being surprised at how inexpensive it was. Are you looking at U S warehouse or the international one. I know I got it from the international warehouse. The prices are cheaper, and there is a MUCH bigger selection. But you have to wait longer to receive shipment. I just measured the wheel for you, it is right at 1 1/4". The bracket is 4 3/4" long not including wheel. I remember it was the largest I saw there (about a yr ago) It looks pretty close to correct scale size for this plane.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:46 AM
trainermaster80

MATT,swap meet was iced out had 1" of ice then freezeing rain. then 3 to 4"" of snow at the illinois site. bummer frankie TRAINERMASTER80
Old 02-21-2015, 06:13 PM
funnotcrazy

trainer master - will you send me a list of the kits you would like to sell ? [email protected] or PM from here?
Old 02-21-2015, 08:03 PM
funnotcrazy

trainer master - will you send me a list of the kits you would like to sell ? [email protected] or PM from here?
Old 02-22-2015, 05:34 PM
trainermaster80

Sent list. Did you get it? Frankie
Old 02-23-2015, 07:35 AM
trainermaster80

Fonnotcrazy. Matt sent list did you get them. I have been having some difficulty in sending my list which are on microsoft documents. Some get them but a few do not. Dont know why. I am also getting mailer demonds on some email addresses let me know if you got my list thanks trainermaster
Old 02-23-2015, 01:12 PM
funnotcrazy

Trainer master, I have not received email. Would like to buy a kit or 2 as this one is almost done & I do not have any more.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:04 PM
trainermaster80

funnotcrazy i have sent twice. mabe i copied your email sddress wrong. PM it to me & i'll try agian. i have MIDWEST CAP232
YOU WOULD LOVE FOR SALE AS WELL AS AN ANDREWS AEROMASTER & AN ANDREWS SPORTMASTER. REASONABLE NIB + POSTAGE OH & THE CAP I HAVE A FIBERGLASS COWL & COLOR INSTRUMENT PANNEL. BEST CAP EVER DUE TO NEW WING IN THIS KIT. HAVE A MARKS MODELS HELL CAT .60 SIZE TOO. LETS HOOK UP FRANKIE
I HAD [email protected] WAS THAT CORRECT? IF SO I'LL TRY AGIAN.

Last edited by trainermaster80; 02-23-2015 at 06:10 PM. Reason: FOUND EMAIL ADDRESS
Old 02-24-2015, 09:01 AM
funnotcrazy

Yes trainermaster that is my correct email address. Approx how many kits do you have for sale? I can only afford 1 or 2, but I love to build. Sending you a PM now.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:30 PM
trainermaster80

I suppose this form is ended now that matt sadley has crashed his decath.. I am just starting to build he rudder & elevator on mine. I have followed matts post as well as cruzemissels. I willuse some of thier ideas as well as mine. @ 86 & 31 yrs as an enginer & 80 yrs model building i think i will have some changes also to offer. I am not too old to learn from others as i have from matt & cruzsmissel. I am exited about building & flying this dynaflite decathlon. Keep some fingers cross for the first flight. I am a pretty good aerobatic r.c pilot but one can never to over competent. Thanks matt & cruzemissel. Trainer 80 frankie g
Old 04-07-2015, 03:37 PM
drummaker

I would love to see your progress. I built one this winter and am waiting for the latex paint to cure so I can clearcoat... I still haven't built the stuts for some reason I have procrastinated....
Old 04-07-2015, 03:53 PM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I still follow this thread....this decathlon was probably the shortest lived plane I've ever built. Ah well, sometimes that is just how it goes.

I don't think I'll build another, I didn't love the kit although once together the plane was a great flyer....
Old 04-08-2015, 05:56 PM
trainermaster80

drummaker,,
hope yours flys well too. i bought a DLE 35RA engine. i have been following these threads & i think i am the first to use this engine in the decathlon. the rear exhaust muffler fits behind the engine and exits out of the bottom pitts style like.
what engine are you using.
i have not tried to put pictures in these post but i am going to try to learn how. have camera & thumbnail drives.
currently flying a sig 4 star 120 with a super tiger 2500. it is a real hoot to fly. i am also finishing up repairs to my dragon lady. with a super tiger 91. it flys like it is under powered. some inexperianced u control modeler spectator pulled my transmitter out of my hand as he turned to leave. by the time i recovered it had crashed. almost back together. i cant wait to fly the decath.
trainermaster 80 frankie

Last edited by trainermaster80; 04-08-2015 at 05:59 PM. Reason: wrong size dragon lady engine i had put 01 it is a 91
Old 04-09-2015, 06:33 AM
trainermaster80

mattnew,
i have followed your post and was sadeden by your loss of your decath. thanks for sharing your build with us. it helped a lot of us i am sure. i printed out pictures to use during my build as well as some from cruzmissel.
thank you for sharing, trainermaster80 frankie
Old 04-09-2015, 06:36 AM
drummaker

Originally Posted by trainermaster80
drummaker,,
hope yours flys well too. i bought a DLE 35RA engine. i have been following these threads & i think i am the first to use this engine in the decathlon. the rear exhaust muffler fits behind the engine and exits out of the bottom pitts style like.
what engine are you using.
i have not tried to put pictures in these post but i am going to try to learn how. have camera & thumbnail drives.
currently flying a sig 4 star 120 with a super tiger 2500. it is a real hoot to fly. i am also finishing up repairs to my dragon lady. with a super tiger 91. it flys like it is under powered. some inexperianced u control modeler spectator pulled my transmitter out of my hand as he turned to leave. by the time i recovered it had crashed. almost back together. i cant wait to fly the decath.
trainermaster 80 frankie
Hey Trainermaster. I am dropping a DLE 30 in. It has yet to be run in. For some reason I keep procrastinating things... Last summer I went completely to nitro and this spring I have been planning to build a safety bench to test all the engines, etc. I will then put a mount on IT which will hold the DLE for break in. My back has been horrible and so because of that I have been procrastinating the bench thus the testing and run in. Anyway I Love 4 stars and have 2 40s and a 20. This is my first excursion into giant scale. I think the stress of having such an expensive airplane with So many build hrs is the root of all my procrastination... It doesn't help that the paint (except for the clear) makes it look Really cool.

We used to call this the FUD factor.... Fear Uncertainty and doubt.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:37 PM
trainermaster80

ihello drum maker.
i just measured my decath landing gear @ .190 th. a little over 3/16. it is very sturdy. haveing read previous post that the landing gear was week & needed 3/16 wire attached to it because they all said the lg bent easy.
i am wondering since my kit is about 1 & 1/2 to 2 years old did dynaflite listen to all the post an increase the thickness of the lg. ?
any body have a lg thinner than mine ? if so what is the thickness. mine looks pretty sturdy.
trainermaster80 frankie
Old 04-09-2015, 02:10 PM
drummaker

I really don't know but I would remind you the plane weighs nearly 20 lbs when done. I ordered a custom set out of stronger aluminum which I had the guy make 1" taller from TNT landing gear.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:00 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

20lbs?

My brother and I both built decathlons, mine came in at 12 lbs ( above ), his came in at 15.5lbs built stock... Niether of ours had issues with the landing gear.

don't build a 20lb plane....
Old 04-10-2015, 05:16 AM
drummaker

Oh well I stand corrected. I haven't weighed mine but guessing more like 16 or so cause of all the paint... I was just rattling off figures I had seen online.... plus the manual says 16-18 so I rounded up

Last edited by drummaker; 04-10-2015 at 05:23 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:14 PM
trainermaster80

drummaker, how are you comming with your decathlon build.
i had to post phone starting mine to help a friend with problems building his plane. he was having troble covering it. well since he is 96 i took it home & i am covring it.
i have been weighing my decath kit wood. yes it is heavy. will substitute most tail feathers wood.
hope this post continues for a while as i am sure to have questions before i am done. i plan to use lou andrews box lock teckniques where ever i can to loose weight while maintaining strength trainermaster 80
Old 04-19-2015, 05:46 PM
drummaker

i had to post phone starting mine to help a friend with problems building his plane. he was having troble covering it. well since he is 96 i took it home & i am covring it.
i have been weighing my decath kit wood. yes it is heavy. will substitute most tail feathers wood.
hope this post continues for a while as i am sure to have questions before i am done. i plan to use lou andrews box lock teckniques where ever i can to loose weight while maintaining strength trainermaster 80
I am well on my way.. I finished the wing spars and am smoothing them Then I will paint them black so only a couple of coats will be provided I hope to clear coat next week end. I will then put it all together. The only thing I did to save weight in the back is paint the back end black which took much less paint.. When the clear is done I will assemble and tell you where I am balance wise. I built the fuel tank mount so it will go in and out and there is room up there for the flight, and ignition batteries. If the need to go there I will put them there. The ignition itself will be mounted to the engine mounts.. So if this all balances with my DLE 30 I will let you know then you won't have to worry. Note i Sanded the tail feathers a LOT and they are probably only about 2/3 as thick as designed.

So i will post again i a couple of weeks. I might shoot a few pics... One thing I did that I hate is painting the inside of the window black. I started out trying to tint it... This didn't go well so I just painted it black... This looks really cool with the color scheme, but of course is flaky... I think I will just screw it on for now and think about ordering clear. to replace it... There will be no interior so I just don't know what to do.

I can tell you that if the maiden goes well I might be inclined to do more scale stuff.

bak soon!
Old 04-19-2015, 06:37 PM
drummaker

I am well on my way.. I finished the wing spars and am smoothing them Then I will paint them black so only a couple of coats will be provided I hope to clear coat next week end. I will then put it all together. The only thing I did to save weight in the back is paint the back end black which took much less paint.. When the clear is done I will assemble and tell you where I am balance wise. I built the fuel tank mount so it will go in and out and there is room up there for the flight, and ignition batteries. If the need to go there I will put them there. The ignition itself will be mounted to the engine mounts.. So if this all balances with my DLE 30 I will let you know then you won't have to worry. Note i Sanded the tail feathers a LOT and they are probably only about 2/3 as thick as designed.

So i will post again i a couple of weeks. I might shoot a few pics... One thing I did that I hate is painting the inside of the window black. I started out trying to tint it... This didn't go well so I just painted it black... This looks really cool with the color scheme, but of course is flaky... I think I will just screw it on for now and think about ordering clear. to replace it... There will be no interior so I just don't know what to do.

I can tell you that if the maiden goes well I might be inclined to do more scale stuff.

bak soon!
Old 04-20-2015, 01:09 PM
trainermaster80

good to hear of your progress Drummaker.
i will start my build next week. have continued to weigh my wood & finish helping my friend with his trainer.. i have a marks models ithellcat that i wanted to build but i dont think i will get to as the decath will probably be my last build. who knows? hope your maden goes well. your dle 3o is close to my dle35ra so i am looking forword to your total weight & maden flight. good luck. trainer master 80

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.