Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Help - Hole in Solartex

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Help - Hole in Solartex

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Corsair2013
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help - Hole in Solartex

I poked a small hole in my wing through the Solartex covering.

Is there a way to patch the hole without using a small piece of the material?

All suggestions will be much appreciated..........

Thanks
Old 11-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

How big it the hole? Is it a round hole or a tear? Is any material missing? Did you use any coatings on the Solartex?
Old 11-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it's an oh my gosh, I stuck a piece of 2-56 rod in my wing then just a dab of thick CA will do the trick. Much bigger then that then it calls for a patch.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:09 PM
Corsair2013

The whole is about the size of 4-40 rod maybe a little bigger. It was actually the shaft of my Dremel tool cut off wheel. I put the wing down onto my bench that is covered in towels and didn't notice the cut off wheel and now have a nice clean round hole in the fabric. I might try pulling the fabric back up and use some CA. The Fabric has been painted so I can touch it up.

I am trying to avoid an ugly patch. Maybe I can find a decal to put there.

Keith
Old 11-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Gray Beard

Decals work just fine. Tex patches don't show up very bad and if it is painted you could probably hide it.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:10 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My friend, Gary, at Pink-it http://www.pink-it.net/ sells small, round access panel covers, made from Solartex. He calls them silver dollar patches.

They would work well, in this situation, and provide a "scale" look to the repair.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:25 AM
Corsair2013

Originally Posted by TomCrump
My friend, Gary, at Pink-it http://www.pink-it.net/ sells small, round access panel covers, made from Solartex. He calls them silver dollar patches.

They would work well, in this situation, and provide a "scale" look to the repair.

Thanks Tom - I ordered some of the pinked 1" rounds which will cover it up nicely and hopefully I can feather it in with the paint.

Keith
Old 11-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Gray Beard

Wow, great site and my question is why didn't I know about them when I was still building Bipes!! The patches look perfect for Keiths little problem and I think I better order some of those syringes. I have been getting them free at Walgreen's but they are wise to my game. They give them out for free to people for some sort of use but I tend to ask for as many as I can get, like 6 or more, some of the tellers tend to give me nasty looks when I ask for that many and they won't sell them to me?
Old 11-06-2013, 03:26 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gary has some creative products that are useful to us. He's a great guy, and very easy to deal with.

GB mentioned decals, earlier in this thread. Gary just happens to have experience in this field, too. http://www.decal-it.com/ Check out his deal on prop logos.

By the way, Gary doesn't pay me to say this stuff. I'm just enthusiastic about his products.