Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

G&L 1/5 DHC chipmunk - diary of a build.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

G&L 1/5 DHC chipmunk - diary of a build.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 05:23 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nonsense ? ? ?

Originally Posted by sensei
First I would like to say how sorry I am for your loss Tony, I also followed your build so I know you put heart and soul into that airplane.

Comments from Zor

Stalling is not the results of heavy weight (high wing loading). It is the result of exceeding the stalling angle of attack of the wings.

Yes, but it is much more likely to happen on a heavily loaded wing then a light loading. Heavy wing loadings are just not that forgiving, it's just that simple Zor...

Some crash damage reduction methods.

Forget that nonsense Zor, building to fly not crash is the answer. The heavier they are, the harder they hit the ground when things go wrong. Running your biplane out of fuel and softly crashing into the treetops is a much different scenario than crashing directly into the ground so you may as well build to fly and enjoy and enjoy the benefits of a lighter loaded wing...

Bob
Hello Bob,

What is nonsense to one is a lot of good sense to others.

Building and designing for flight while simultaneously designing for resistance to crash damages makes a lot of good sense. I design for myself _ _ _ I do not design for series production.

All designs are compromise to be decided by the designer(s).

Some designs are aimed at mnimum production cost or for production methods.
It is not surprising to see builders making so many changes while building a kit.
It is due to their experience and acquired knowledge.

If you build and make changes for a purpose like reducing crash damages it is your decision of what modifications you decide upon.

No one has the right to criticize a buuilders decision.
I often suggest what I do but never try to impose it on anyone and tell them their ideas are nonsense.

Regards from Zor.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:25 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Stalls happen! Johnny 5 was a peach but I'm sure TB will find something to fill he empty space in the hanger!
Old 10-08-2014, 06:44 AM
willig10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tony:
Just read about your Chippie. Dude that so sucks. Sorry for your loss. Wishing you well my friend.

Glenn
Old 10-08-2014, 08:10 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Stalls happen! Johnny 5 was a peach but I'm sure TB will find something to fill he empty space in the hanger!
Yes stalls happen, when I land my 100cc Sbach it stalls all the time. I land tail and main at the same time, but some times it is not as smooth and it "stalls" but being a 3D plane it is designed to do that. My chippie was not and when it did stall it dropped that is why I say it stopes flying because it is just dead weigh then.

Yes a new plane (ARF) is in the works to fill the void.I decided on an ARF as a flight test bed for Angie.

Hanger 9 Piper Pawnee 33%.

This is will get the DLE85, my Futaba receivers and telemetry. I will get it all working and fly this while I finish Angie.

TB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	2038540  
Old 10-08-2014, 08:16 AM
TonyBuilder

Zor, I never build in anticipation to a crash. I build strong because my planes are heavier then most. No mater how strong you build something has to give. The wing on the chippie was one of the strongest wings I have ever seen or built. It sheared off at the end of the spar and outside of the
main gear blocks. That was the weakest area. A crash is a crash, not much one can do except avoid the crash in the first place.

TB
Old 10-08-2014, 08:17 AM
TonyBuilder

Originally Posted by willig10
Tony:
Just read about your Chippie. Dude that so sucks. Sorry for your loss. Wishing you well my friend.

Glenn

Thanks Glenn.

TB
Old 10-08-2014, 12:08 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Zor
Hello Bob,

What is nonsense to one is a lot of good sense to others.

Building and designing for flight while simultaneously designing for resistance to crash damages makes a lot of good sense. I design for myself _ _ _ I do not design for series production.

All designs are compromise to be decided by the designer(s).

Some designs are aimed at mnimum production cost or for production methods.
It is not surprising to see builders making so many changes while building a kit.
It is due to their experience and acquired knowledge.

If you build and make changes for a purpose like reducing crash damages it is your decision of what modifications you decide upon.

No one has the right to criticize a buuilders decision.
I often suggest what I do but never try to impose it on anyone and tell them their ideas are nonsense.

Regards from Zor.
I am not criticizing, simply giving my opinion on building to crash, and again, it's nonsense.

Bob
Old 10-08-2014, 03:53 PM
Zor
Banned

Originally Posted by sensei

I am not criticizing, simply giving my opinion on building to crash, and again, it's nonsense.

Bob
Dear Bob,

I do not think that you and I can pursue this as a discussion.
I highlighted some of your text above in blue

I can think of many reasons to build to crash or to design for lots of damage in a crash.

That IS NOT what I have been talking about.To the contrary I talked about including in the design or in the build some methods of reducing the risks of damage.

Of course it does not make sense to . . . as you wrote . . .
" simply giving my opinion on building to crash ".
I have no idea where you got in your mind that I talked about building to crash.

I
talked about modifications done by many builders to reduce crash damages.

I interpreted your original comments as my suggestions were nonsense.

Wishing you a great time in this fine hobby.

Zor

Old 10-09-2014, 03:45 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Zor
Dear Bob,

I do not think that you and I can pursue this as a discussion.
I highlighted some of your text above in blue

I can think of many reasons to build to crash or to design for lots of damage in a crash.

That IS NOT what I have been talking about.To the contrary I talked about including in the design or in the build some methods of reducing the risks of damage.

Of course it does not make sense to . . . as you wrote . . .
" simply giving my opinion on building to crash ".
I have no idea where you got in your mind that I talked about building to crash.

I
talked about modifications done by many builders to reduce crash damages.

I interpreted your original comments as my suggestions were nonsense.

Wishing you a great time in this fine hobby.

Zor

If you are building to reduce crash damage as stated by you then you are in essence building/preparing to crash, no play on words will change that now Zor. A properly designed airframe is developed to withstand primarily intended flight/aerobatic and landing loads, overbuilding an airframe to minimize damage from a crash, or simply crash loads tells me that you just don't know what you are doing or talking about, hence IMO nonsense, but again this is just my opinion of you and your ideas. I think TonyBuilder stated it best in his last post to you that a crash is a crash, not much one can do except avoid the crash in the first place, this for some may mean more stick time and/or in your case fuel management while flying, this will certainly help you in the future to keep your airplanes out of the treetops Zor and less pre crash damage preparation... As always I do enjoy fencing with you but as they say... All good things must come to an end and it's time to move on. So until the next time old boy....

Best Regards,

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 10-09-2014 at 03:49 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:06 AM
TonyBuilder

I did a thorough inspection of the airframe as I disassembled Johnny 5

I will take advantage of this knowledge and use it for future builds. One thing about a plane like this when you have a crash and at first look it doesn't look to bad and it seams repairable. A thorough inspection has to be done to determine any hidden damage or anything that has to be fixed that might have been jarred loos in the crash even if one were to proceed with repairs the frame would have to be striped of all components like batteries, fuel system and all electronics to gain access to the entire frames internal workings.

So I am looking for wear issues like any wires that may have been rubbing, I check the batteries for wear and any signs that there was going to be trouble later down the line. The batteries checked out fine, fuel system was good, all the wires were well protected from vibration. All the servos were goo with exception to the elevator servo mount. One screw came loos. Structurally the fuselage had a nice crack at the wing dowels this is all carbon fiber reinforced so some major forces were being applied as she cartwheeled. Some other minor cracks in the fuselage that were not structural.

After I striped the frame I glued the wing back together and It is ready for the final resting place at the field. I will mount it this weekend.

TB
Old 10-10-2014, 08:17 AM
TonyBuilder

Johnny 5 final resting spot.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Views:	199
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2038807   Click image for larger version

Views:	203
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	2038809  

Last edited by TonyBuilder; 10-10-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:36 AM
FlyerInOKC

Looks good up there!
Old 10-10-2014, 08:54 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It does look good. But it is still a crying shape to see all the work that went into it to see it wind up there. Especially to see how few flights it had on it before it died. I guess the old saying is true, "The good dye young"!

Tony, I look forward to following your next project.

Ken
Old 10-10-2014, 09:05 AM
FlyerInOKC

It's all a part of being a builder. We know how much we put of ourselves into and airplane and we know we can lose it in the blink of an eye. And when it happens we pick up the pieces and build another airplane. It's part of who and what we are. Maybe that is why there are so many ARF/ATR fliers, they don't or can't make that can kind of commitment.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:53 AM
redbiscuits

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Maybe that is why there are so many ARF/ATR fliers, they don't or can't make that can kind of commitment.
But if they did make that commitment they could feel what I feel when I fly my TF Jug. What a feeling of pride, adrenaline and shear terror at the same time. I can never get that out of an ARF.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:07 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Oh, I totally understand that as a builder that is what we face. I have faced the same with my builds as well. The comment was more of sympathizing with him than anything else.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:10 PM
TonyBuilder

Originally Posted by RCKen
It does look good. But it is still a crying shape to see all the work that went into it to see it wind up there. Especially to see how few flights it had on it before it died. I guess the old saying is true, "The good dye young"!

Tony, I look forward to following your next project.

Ken
Ken yes it is a shame but this is part of it. So many say to me that I am crazy to fly such a plane and they would be scared stiff and could never fly such a plane. This is why I fly them just like Gary said, there is nothing like it. From day one I never fly in fear, I know that a build I spent months building and thousands of cash can go down in flames on takeoff of a maiden, or last two or three flying season, maybe more. All I can do is honer the build and go to the next one.

My P-47 is next up once I get a few things out of the way, thank you for your support.

TB
Old 10-10-2014, 03:09 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by TonyBuilder
Ken yes it is a shame but this is part of it. So many say to me that I am crazy to fly such a plane and they would be scared stiff and could never fly such a plane. This is why I fly them just like Gary said, there is nothing like it. From day one I never fly in fear, I know that a build I spent months building and thousands of cash can go down in flames on takeoff of a maiden, or last two or three flying season, maybe more. All I can do is honer the build and go to the next one.

My P-47 is next up once I get a few things out of the way, thank you for your support.

TB
I feel exactly the same way about building as you do. I was talking with the guys in the Balsa USA booth in Toledo and we got on the Kit vs. ARF subject and Mark from BUSA had an interesting way to look at it. Two guys got out and by the same plane but one is a kit and one is an ARF. Both of them go through everything thing involved with getting the plane ready to fly, the ARF'er taking maybe a week or so and the kit build taking several months or even up to a year. They both go out to the field and put the planes in the air and both planes crash on the first flight. Now, which modeler got the most "bang for his buck"? The guy that build the kit was the hands down winner on ENTERTAINMENT VALUE up that point. Like everybody in this forum here, the kit building forum, we all enjoy building kits. And even if we lose the plane on that first flight we will have already had the enjoyment of building the plane.

How many times have you seen guys crash and ARF and then been back out with a new one within just a few days?? heck, I saw a guy crash one on Saturday and he ran to the hobby shop and Sunday morning he had a brand new ARF in the air Sunday morning. But I digress, I didn't mean to get this discussion off topic with a Kit vs. ARF talk. But just going along with what we were all saying about enjoying the building of an airplane. I know there are plenty of times that I simply enjoy sitting at the building board building a new plane.

Ok, off the soapbox now!!!

Ken
Old 10-11-2014, 01:00 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not much point in building them if we were not going to fly and enjoy every minute we get to the fullest.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:33 PM
Zor
Banned

Originally Posted by acerc

Not much point in building them if we were not going to fly and enjoy every minute we get to the fullest.
It looks like you completely missed the point highlighted by RGKen and others.

This hobby was initiated by builders and the satisfaction of building is as intense as flying and last a lot longer.

Try building sometime if you have not by now.

Zor
Old 10-11-2014, 02:02 PM
stevegauth30

"Try building sometime" he says to one of the better, more experienced builders on RCU. That's funny. maybe you should try reading through some of his builds, you might learn something.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:32 PM
Zor
Banned

Originally Posted by stevegauth30
"

Try building sometime" he says to one of the better, more experienced builders on RCU. That's funny. maybe you should try reading through some of his builds, you might learn something.
I have seen many postings by that gentleman but non pertaining to any building history or illustrating his built models.

I would gladly apologise if any links direct me to some of his work.

As i wrote " if you have not by now ". A picture is not an evidence of building.

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 10-11-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:34 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

My dear gone friend Minnflyer (Mike Buzzeo, may he Rest In Peace) had a great way of looking at this, and I've taken up he out look on it. He used to say that building more of a hobby part of this and flying is more of a sport of it. And I think that we look at it like that's what it looks like to me. I use that guideline to separate the two in my mind at least.

Ken
Old 10-14-2014, 08:21 AM
FlyerInOKC

Hi my name is Mike and I'm a Buildaholic!

It seems once the airplane is built I start to lose interest and start another build. I do get around to flying them at some point but its not a priority. Its the building I love the most!
Old 10-14-2014, 08:33 AM
stevegauth30

Your not alone buddy. A lot of us are the same way. Were here for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.