Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where have all the builders gone

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where have all the builders gone

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 03:56 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joebahl
Got my 13 year old cutting out parts off the plans and he is turning into a good laser cutting machine :-) lol joe

Tell your son that I live near the beech, boating, fishing, snow skiing and a water park.

Oh, and I need some parts cut.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:59 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by joebahl
Got my 13 year old cutting out parts off the plans and he is turning into a good laser cutting machine :-) lol joe
Just remember when he turns 18 to remind him you will base college assistance on part output!
Old 01-28-2016, 05:24 AM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just 3 short years and he is driving! I remember those days, PRESIOUS!

enjoy it while you have him.

Joe
Old 01-28-2016, 08:18 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCrump
Tell your son that I live near the beech, boating, fishing, snow skiing and a water park.

Oh, and I need some parts cut.
Ha Ha Tom ,the girls his age in our neighborhood are starting to hang around here more and more and he is starting to notice them also so my cutting machine is getting slower and slower each year .lol He is also getting into target shooting and getting good at it . with all the rc planes hanging around here he is into RC tanks .lol I will support him in any worth while hobby as long as he keeps his grades up and he does . Paladin ,me and the boy just picked out and bought a used 1999 4 wheel drive jeep cherokee ,so this coming summer we will fix a few things on her and get it all done before he gets to drive. He wanted a jeep so its a good SUV for us to work on together . He wants one of my harleys also but mom would not be happy so he is out of luck there untill he is out on his own . lol joe

Last edited by joebahl; 01-28-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:31 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

But Tom, don't drink the water
Old 01-28-2016, 03:37 PM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by tailskid
But Tom, don't drink the water
That's Detr,,,,,,,er Flint.

There was a recent vid, taken by a guy in a Coast Guard helicopter. The waters off the Western Michigan coast were so clear that some previously undiscovered ship wrecks were located. Bulheads, masts, etc were easily visible from the skies.

Don't worry. I used to think, as you. I thought all of Michigan was Detroit. I was pleasantly surprised to find a natural wonderland in the northern regions.

I took these pics, from my basck yard, last Saturday.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_DSCF5116.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	711.8 KB
ID:	2143969   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_DSCF5115.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	795.4 KB
ID:	2143970  
Old 01-28-2016, 04:06 PM
tailskid

For years we would spend a couple of weeks in the UP for fishing, and of course visited for Christmas in Saginaw.....but I'll stay put here....but I did have to sweep 2" of sunshine off the sidewalk today...tomorrow it is going to 74 and all my batteries are charged

Jerry

PS I do miss the building season!
Old 01-28-2016, 05:59 PM
rickman2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

building them is the only way, plus they make for a better crash than a piece of foam
Old 01-28-2016, 09:34 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hay Tom, Those photos don't look like "a natural wonderland" to me, more like "a frozen wasteland"! We had a inch of snow here in sunny West Georgia late last week, and it sucked if you ask me. Forecast for this weekend is mid 60's and sunny. I'll be flying both days. Have a good one.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:26 AM
jarhead24
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just turned 50; started flying rc in 1979. 1st Airplane,Sig Commander with a ST .56 and Kraft Gold 4 ch. The Hangar includes the following aircraft in service now;

Bridi Kaos.60
Super Kaos .60
Curare (2) with the glass fuselage
Kwik Fli (2)
Dalotel 1.80 saito

All flying and all built by yours truly

Kits: (all new in box)
Bud Nosen Citabria (tree in a box)
Goldberg Super Chipmunk
GP Super Skybolt
Dalotel (Dick Hanson kit)
Aeromaster Too Bipe (real deal)
Sig Clipped Wing Cub (Hazel's)
Sterling PT-17
Sterling Stinson
Red box TF Corsair
3w Super Chipmunk

Building now:
Dynaflite Chipmunk; Kitbashed, modified to Super Chipmunk, chopped 4" off each wing, reduced dihedral, fully sheeted wing, fiberglassed and getting ready for paint, tail feathers modified, built a f/g cowl; followed Art Scholls recipe...

The only arf I fly and own is the discontinued Great Planes Super Chipmunk, I have three of them. Bought new, wing panels were warped span wise on one and I rebuilt them. Only reason I have them is I liked the Chipmunk. Every ARF I have seen needs some changes. Had I not been taught how to build, I would not have known any better. Used to fly pattern, competed and had fun. Not sure what all this hovering airplane stuff is supposed to be about??

First time I flew as a student in the Marines, my crusty instructor swore I had a ticket already. Swore up and down I never flew a full scale aircraft, he figured it out. Lucky I guess! My Kaos' and Curare's are over 30 years old, had em forever. All my stuff is "antique" like me. Nothing like a Curare on a pipe, inverted and down on the deck! Old Kaos flies like its on rails, so does the kwik fli.

Last edited by jarhead24; 01-29-2016 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:14 AM
TomCrump

For years we would spend a couple of weeks in the UP for fishing, and of course visited for Christmas in Saginaw.....but I'll stay put here....but I did have to sweep 2" of sunshine off the sidewalk today...tomorrow it is going to 74 and all my batteries are charged

Jerry

PS I do miss the building season!

My son lives in Phoenix. He seldom misses an opportunity to remind me about his frigid, 60 degree, days. LOL

I build year round. It's always building season, for me.

Larry, what I didn't mention, is that my son lives in Phoenix with a group of people who have fled our Michigan Winters. If I were to tell the truth, I'd like to join them.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:22 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by jarhead24
Just turned 50; started flying rc in 1979. 1st Airplane,Sig Commander with a ST .56 and Kraft Gold 4 ch. The Hangar includes the following aircraft in service now;

Bridi Kaos.60
Super Kaos .60
Curare (2) with the glass fuselage
Kwik Fli (2)
Dalotel 1.80 saito

All flying and all built by yours truly

Kits: (all new in box)
Bud Nosen Citabria (tree in a box)
Goldberg Super Chipmunk
GP Super Skybolt
Dalotel (Dick Hanson kit)
Aeromaster Too Bipe (real deal)
Sig Clipped Wing Cub (Hazel's)
Sterling PT-17
Sterling Stinson
Red box TF Corsair
3w Super Chipmunk

Building now:
Dynaflite Chipmunk; Kitbashed, modified to Super Chipmunk, chopped 4" off each wing, reduced dihedral, fully sheeted wing, fiberglassed and getting ready for paint, tail feathers modified, built a f/g cowl; followed Art Scholls recipe...

The only arf I fly and own is the discontinued Great Planes Super Chipmunk, I have three of them. Bought new, wing panels were warped span wise on one and I rebuilt them. Only reason I have them is I liked the Chipmunk. Every ARF I have seen needs some changes. Had I not been taught how to build, I would not have known any better. Used to fly pattern, competed and had fun. Not sure what all this hovering airplane stuff is supposed to be about??

First time I flew as a student in the Marines, my crusty instructor swore I had a ticket already. Swore up and down I never flew a full scale aircraft, he figured it out. Lucky I guess! My Kaos' and Curare's are over 30 years old, had em forever. All my stuff is "antique" like me. Nothing like a Curare on a pipe, inverted and down on the deck! Old Kaos flies like its on rails, so does the kwik fli.

I think many builders have a few ARFs. I have three, myself

At age 50, I suggest that you build larger stash of kits, so that you don't run out of hits to build when you retire. I've been retired for 7 years. Including my current build, I have 4 kits left.

I may not have planned well enough.

Last edited by TomCrump; 01-29-2016 at 04:24 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:18 AM
FlyerInOKC

My son lives in Phoenix. He seldom misses an opportunity to remind me about his frigid, 60 degree, days. LOL
Larry, what I didn't mention, is that my son lives in Phoenix with a group of people who have fled our Michigan Winters. If I were to tell the truth, I'd like to join them.
I hope you return the favor when he is broiling in July and August!
Old 01-29-2016, 05:42 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I hope you return the favor when he is broiling in July and August!
You know me too well, Mike.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:54 AM
FlyerInOKC

Well you can't let the kids get away with too much it only encourages them if you do.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:05 PM
tailskid

Tom, do you ever come down "here" to visit him? If so I would LOVE to meet you and talk airplanes!!!!
Old 01-29-2016, 04:00 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Tom if you lived anywhere near me you WOULD be building a 1/4 BUSA WW1 if I had to do all the soldering myself
Old 01-29-2016, 04:06 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I think many builders have a few ARFs. I have three, myself

At age 50, I suggest that you build larger stash of kits, so that you don't run out of hits to build when you retire. I've been retired for 7 years. Including my current build, I have 4 kits left.

I may not have planned well enough.
I wouldn't worry,, you're skilled enough to take the jump to full scratch builds,, after all, kits are for slackers
Old 01-29-2016, 04:14 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Tom, do you ever come down "here" to visit him? If so I would LOVE to meet you and talk airplanes!!!!
I wanna be there too!
Old 01-29-2016, 05:23 PM
TomCrump

I would if I could.. Chad Veich told me the same. I'd like to meet the both of you.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:34 PM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by foodstick
Tom if you lived anywhere near me you WOULD be building a 1/4 BUSA WW1 if I had to do all the soldering myself
If I lived near you, I would be in real trouble Neither one of us would get anything done, outside of building and flying.

You'd have to teach me the fine art of soldering, though. Those BUSA kits require a lot of it.

Lets see. My brother lives in Colorado, so I could take I-80 and visit you. Then on to the Grand Junction area, to see my brother. From there, it would be on to Arizona, to visit my son, Jerry and Chad. On the way back, I could stop in New Mexico, to finally meet Pat Tritle and visit my mentor and long time friend, Don Olsen. After that, it would be on to OKC, to visit Mike.

It's be a heck of a trip !
Old 01-29-2016, 05:37 PM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by Chad Veich
I wanna be there too!
You had mention that before, Chad. I haven't for gotten.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:50 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Heck stop by anytime you pass thru! I will be embarrassed when you see the way I have airplane stuff spread all over out of control.. 27 years or so of building and collecting this stuff will do that !
Old 01-29-2016, 05:59 PM
tailskid

Nothing wrong with that foodstick.....I just hope you don't have more than one pair of shoes and of course one tie for the special 'Sunday, go to meeting' stuff!
Old 01-29-2016, 06:27 PM
TomCrump

Tie ? We don't wear them when we fly on Sundays, at our field.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.