Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

First Kit??

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

First Kit??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 01:10 PM
-Fast-Eddie
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Kit??

Ok I've assembled about 5 arf's and I'm just tired of them even though there all nice but just seems you get a lot more satisfaction out of a kit that you took the time to build yourself instead of it factory built and you assemble the rest. I'm just wondeirng on suggestions for a good first kit. I would like a warbird but someone locally is selling a sig SE for a cheap price and that seems to be an easy kit after reading through the forums. any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Old 01-16-2004, 01:13 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: First Kit??

The Sig SE would be a great first kit.

If you like war birds, the GP Mustang 40 is also a good one. It's a bit more complicated than an SE, but it's not too tough.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:46 PM
phread59

If you like warbirds try one of the Skyshark kits. They are supposed to be great. Easy to build and great fliers. The SE kit is a good one I have one on my to do list. Nice wood, decent instructions and good flier. If you get a good price and are interested in it get it. Sig makes a great kit!

Mark Shuman
Old 01-16-2004, 09:19 PM
-Fast-Eddie

Thanks for the info guys i may go with that GP mustang not 100% yet. I would like to have a slower flying plane though that my dad could also fly. He cant handle high speeds I was wondering about the SIG Cubs speciafically the 1/5 if those arent that diffucult to build for a first kit?
Old 01-17-2004, 10:50 AM
waagbuck
My Feedback: (1)

I've read here that the sig cubs are difficult. I built the GP 40 size cub as my first kit and had no trouble at all. If you like cubs, I'd recommend building that with the clipped wing. If I were going to build another cub, I'd build the great planes 60-size cub in a clipped wing and put a 90 four stroke in it.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:06 AM
Patriot

Suggestions here can be endless. But here goes.

It depends on your building skills. if you want a bit of a challenge, you can do what I did. I used to fly and build years ago and have been out of the hobby for quite a while but I didn't want to get back into it with a cheap ARF trainer, yet need something fairly easy to fly.
So after a bit of discussion here, and talking with the guy at the LHS, I bought a Balsa USA Citabria Pro. It is a slow flier, and in kit form, it is a real builder, but can be built with just the basic tools needed and a good flat building board. Many of the parts, like formers and ribs etc are all die cut. But some carving and sanding is needed, especially for the wing tips. So, patience is a virtue here.
Anyway, from everyone who has had one, they all say it will fly like a trainer, but it is a citabria, so you can have some real fun with it if desired.
I am done framing up mine, and in the process of installing servos etc, then I will cover with koverall and paint. I will be posting a thread here on construction when just about complete.

if you have never built a plane before, then something much easier may be in order. I don't want you to get discouraged by building something too difficult to start with. I love to hear ARf fliers getting into building. It is a good sign to see that the older ways of the hobby are not totally dead, and that you want to go further into this hobby by building a plane. Kudos to you.

Patriot
Old 01-17-2004, 03:27 PM
wrongwaywayne

Check out Bruce Thorpe Engineering and the Venture 60. I have read good things about them and its something a bit out of the mainstream big corporate kits.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:46 PM
-Fast-Eddie

thanks again guys for all the suggestions lol i got 1 more question on warbirds for yah guys The Top Flite Kits like their p-47 not the giant but the smaller one are thses kits hard to build or are they ,well not easy, but not that hard to build??
Old 01-17-2004, 03:56 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't recommend them for a first time builder. They are not really tough, but they use more advanced techniques that you learn as you go along. You might be able to hack youe way through one, but have lots of wood putty and sand paper at the ready.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:41 PM
-Fast-Eddie

ok i will wait on a top flite kit well tomorrow im either going to get a GP 40 size cub, there p-51 or the SE all are at my local hobby shop so ill let yah guys know what i ended up with and will post my progress on the kit building thanks for all the help guys
Old 01-18-2004, 02:04 PM
-Fast-Eddie

well ended up buying form a local guy in my club who is retired from the hobby and cant fly anymore. He had a SE which he agve to me for $35 and he also gave me a phateon II for $45 so i said yah!! ill take both of em the phateon II *Balsa USA* looks a little more complicated but im sure ill get it together im going to build the SE first just ahve to clean the damn bench first
Old 01-18-2004, 02:24 PM
Patriot

I have heard the phaetons fly very well for a bipe. i know the larger phaeton flies so slow you'd think it was a trainer, not sure about the one you bought though, but since they are both made by the same company, I am sure they are similar to build and fly.

God Speed.

Patriot
Old 01-19-2004, 06:30 PM
-Fast-Eddie

got another question ok ive got my plans etc.. out covered in wax paper on my table but before i started building i checked to see if the t pins will hold on my table, which they don't, so i am wondring what a good thing to put on top of it would be?? a thin peice of foam board?? or something else. thanks
Old 01-19-2004, 07:07 PM
Phlip

That's a question that's sure to get you a myriad of answers.

I use a cork covered bulletin board. Actually, I have two that are 2ft. by 3ft. When I'm building a small kit (I also do rubber powered FF) I put one on my desk. For a larger R/C plane, I place both side-by-side flat on a thick piece of extruded foam building insulation. The foam levels out my folding table's top (it's not quite plate glass, but IMO it's close enough).

I think a hollow core door would be a good choice for a building surface. I heard about that one after I was already set up.

Good luck,

Phil
Old 01-19-2004, 10:47 PM
Patriot

Believe it or not, a 2x4 ft cieling tile works great. get one with as little holes in it as possible. They take and hold pins well, ,and are super cheap and disposable.

Patriot
Old 01-19-2004, 11:36 PM
-Fast-Eddie

Lol yah i alrady got a piece of celing tile and conitued on building srry i didnt post updat earlyier was rumagging through garage and i saw a big thing of celieng tiles so i pulled one out thats flat and smooth on back and set it on table and away i went. PS: that SE is a easy build i picked up one of the part sheets and i was breathing on it and a swear the parts were falling out fom my breath lol
Old 01-19-2004, 11:48 PM
Patriot

Most die-cut balsa pops out real easy, it's the heavy ply that tends to get a little tedious, ,but nothing a sharp knife or even a scroll saw can't handle.

Patriot
Old 01-19-2004, 11:51 PM
-Fast-Eddie

its lazer cut. picked up pieces and they just fall out
Old 01-20-2004, 02:03 AM
Patriot

Laser cut? Even easier.

Have fun building.

Patriot
Old 01-26-2004, 06:32 PM
FAST-ROPER

Just finished great planes ultrasport 40 plus, not a very good first kit but a good kit nonetheless.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:13 PM
spokman

I'm going to hook you up with the building table secrets! LOL! This is an inexpensive way to go for a really nice table. Get a hollow core door from Home Depot. Get the white synthetic covered one! Cover it with sheet rock! It is the best building surface you can have short of a magnetic surface, $$. If you want to know more just let me know!
Old 01-26-2004, 09:05 PM
BaronSchwab

For Christmas I received a Balsa USA 1913 Etrich Taube. It is my first kit and was really easy to build. Right now it is all framed up and almost ready for covering. It is an Early WWI Warbird. It is good size 83" ws x 63" long.[link=http://www.balsausa.com/kits/kit.htp?id=25&shopperid=]1913 Etrich Taube.[/link]

Have fun with all of your building projects.