Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Using Magnets to build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Using Magnets to build

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 09:02 AM
TimeFLYING
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Magnets to build

Hello everyone I'm torn I have build a cpl models using the pinning method and it works as intended. But I want to try something differ. I ran across this one day from coffeemans sig. and if you have not visited there i would recommend that you call in work for a week and just sit down and read there is so much good info on that site. Its a untapped resource that everyone should use and don't forget to tell coffeeman Thank You for taking the time to help pass the knowledge on to others. I see all the time things are changing and that all takes lots of time <don't ask how i know >

Anyways back on topic i would like to know if you tried this system. What you liked and what you didn't. Or maybe you ordered everything for the magnet system tried and hated it and want to get rid of so of it to me Please feel free to email me if you don't wish to air what you have to say to everyone

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...oard/index.htm

Email: [email protected]

Thanks
Troy McClanahan
Old 05-10-2004, 10:55 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Using Magnetics to build

I use the GP magnetic building board and I love it. It permits me to set a wing, then move everthing slightly if needed and then remove a rib at a time and use Titebond to glue it. I use the grid to make sure everthing aligns. I get much straighter wings. JMHO.
John
Old 05-11-2004, 07:45 PM
TimeFLYING

come on ppl talk to me. I have the money to finish my table and done my searches on here. just want to hear the pros and cons. let the info flow thru your fingers

Thanks
Troy
Old 05-12-2004, 04:27 AM
JNorton

Default RE: Using Magnets to build

It's an acquired taste!

EDIT-> can't spell
Old 05-12-2004, 08:08 AM
Mutch

While I havn't used the magnet system, let me say this: If you can get the metal plate cheap or free, say off of an old desk or cut out of an old heavy appliance (washer, dryer, refridge), and spend $40 for magnets I say do it. If you don't like it, well, you won't be the first person to spend money on a building system they didn't like.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:57 AM
TimeFLYING

I got my metel free from the company i work for fab shop cause I rid of stuff they couldnt give away and saved the company over $20000 so a $20 sheet of metal was nothing I guess i could just order 100 magnets and just have to remove from the fixtures when i need for something else to try it out

Thanks
Troy
Old 05-12-2004, 11:50 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Works fine if you get good (expensive unfortunately) magnets. You need rare earth magnets or at the very least Cobalt else the magnets are either to weak or to large. I especially like magnets for the smaller models but prefer weights (bags of shot) or lead ingots for the larger stuff. I guess I have to give it more plusses than negatives though.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:44 PM
squeeguk

I posted about the Great Planes Magnetic Building Board System last week and ended up ordering one. I don't think you can go wrong. I'm gonna give it a try, if it doesn't work, I'll just sell it on to somebody welse who might want to build using the system. From what I understand though, it's a different mindset to building with pins.

Unfortunately, I only get it this weekend, so won't be able to tell you what it's like to build with until a couple of weeks time.

Good Luck
Old 05-12-2004, 06:50 PM
egor

Hello boyssssssss

Thinking of building with magnets ehh. Alrighty then. I'm still using pins BUT plan to setup a building board for magnets so if I may suggest going to Http://www.airfieldmodels.com

On the first page click on tools found under practail information about 1/3 down from the top scroll down to essential building tool on the new page and click on Workbenchs and building surfaces. On the new page scroll down to building surfaces and click on building with magnets. this will open a new page with a wealth of information that will be most useful. Now that I have you this far, I would suggest that you might also return to the first page, And #1 Save this site to your favorites As it contains a huge amount of information
#2 Take the time to read and make use of the entire site as it is free and Quite a gift ( very little free stuff found about anymore this worthwhile). #3 If you find something on the site you find useful click the contact webmaster button on the left side of the screen and drop him a thank-you note. Questions can I believe be handeled in the same manner. #4 Pass the availability of this site on to a friend or someone on a quest such as your own as I have just done.

Excellent site Superior information and Damn cheap

I have no affiliation or association with this site beyond what is presented above.

However I would like to spend some time with Mr. Johnson Just to listen and learn.

Hope this helps and good flying

egor
Old 05-13-2004, 12:11 AM
saramos

I started a TF Spit using celing tile mounted to a 1" thick particle board. I switched to a magnet board based on caffeenman's design. I unfortunately paid through the nose for my sheet metal at the local hardware store.

I scored a 24" x 48" sheet with a 1/4" grid. This, I am now finding to be a bit overkill. A 1" or 1/2" grid would work out fine for me. One nice thing about the 1/4" grid is that it has just enough abrasiveness to true the edge of 1/16" balsa when edge glueing 3" wide sheets into larger sizes (hehe).

I bought 150 magnets from the source that caffenman mentions on his site. They are 1" x 13/16" ceramic with a 3/16" hole and two metal plates. I still need to make some more fixtures, particularly the hold down presses.

I used the magnet board for work on the fuselage of the spit, and also for a 4 star 40 that I have almost completed. I really like it, and will continue to use it on other projects.

Things that I would like to do or change would be, a longer sheet, perhaps 72" Right now I am set up in my home office. I plan on turning the two car garage into a shop. I want to place the build board on an island in the middle of the shop so I can have free and easy access from all sides.

Scott
Old 05-13-2004, 01:09 PM
TimeFLYING

Well i ordered my 100 magnets from coffeemans site. will be here monday my first plane they will be used for will be a GP RV-4 I almost had coffeeman make me some fixtures but cant afford it atm. Now if he would allow me to make payments [X(] Now were thinking

Thanks for all the replys and keep them coming maybe we can share tips or lil tricks we learn along the way. and yes coffeemans site is mekka for info hope he nvr takes it down

Later

Troy McCLanahan
Old 05-13-2004, 01:14 PM
Merlin1205

I was scratch building the Electric Angle from MAN's April edition last week when I noticed a small problem. I could not get the stab aligned with the wing no matter how hard I tried. I finally found that I had twisted the fuselage 3/8s of an inch into a banna shape. I guess I am so used to building kits that are self aligning, locking tabs etc. that I have started skipping some basic measurments Well I was a little bummed out at this point but thought I would go ahead and cut the parts over and try again. I was racking my brain on how to make some fixtures when I recalled that my wife had bought me a GP magnetic build system for Christmas several years back. I had never used it and simply tossed it into the closet and promptly forgot about it.
I was able to finally find it (moved a few times since then) and I tried it on the remake of the fuse. It was so EASY to keep everything aligned that I will be using this a lot from now on.
My only regret is leaving it in the closet for all those years I highly recommend this system to anyone thinking of going magnetic.

Regards,

Tim
Old 05-13-2004, 01:21 PM
TimeFLYING

yea i seen the GP board but i have it at 6' x 2' and will scibe the 1/4 grid on thats what im not looking forward to at all. but im all hoped up waiting will do a full report on my thoughts and Pros and Cons.

Lets see if my sig works now

Thanks
Troy McClanahan
Old 08-25-2004, 05:04 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: Rodney

Works fine if you get good (expensive unfortunately) magnets. You need rare earth magnets or at the very least Cobalt else the magnets are either to weak or to large. I especially like magnets for the smaller models but prefer weights (bags of shot) or lead ingots for the larger stuff. I guess I have to give it more plusses than negatives though.
Rodney, I realize this is an old thread, but I came across it in my web stats recently so I thought I'd comment on this. I'm not sure why you think rare earth or cobalt magnets are necessary. I don't have any of either and the system is the best I've used.

I use cheap cupboard magnets that I've listed on my site. They cost $0.55 each. For my purposes, they do get expensive though because I found that I need about 250 - 300 of them. But other than these magnets the only other magnets I use are some larger ceramic magnets I bought at Home Depot and Sears. They're about 1/2" x 1" x 1-1/2". I also have some magnetic strips I have attached to straightedges. It's about 3 bucks a roll. I haven't even used a whole roll of it yet.

Egor - Thank you very much for the kind words about my site. You went the long route to find the page though. I'll make it a little simpler.

http://airfieldmodels.com/informatio...oard/index.htm

- Paul

PS. I haven't received many suggestions for improving the system. I'd really like to hear other people's ideas about using it and with their permission, I'll post their ideas on my site and of course, give them credit. I'm sure there are other ways to use magnets that I haven't thought of and am always looking for new ideas.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:39 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Look at these pictures..... THis is the second table that I have built like this. I did a second one because I really loved the first.... The table is constucted completely of steel. The frame is 2x2 tubing with a 1/4" thick steel plate for the top, the table is 2ft x 8ft.... One special note, Magnets work better on thicker steel.... The stronger the magnet, the thicker the steel needs to be.... The biggests magnets that I have in these pictures are so strong that I can not grab the thru bolt and pick them up. I have to use a prybar wedged between the top of the magnet and the wing nut to lift them. These big magnets can be placed ON TOP of a piece of 1/8" BIRCH ply without any holes in it and still hold it down with a good amount of strength.... You can see in one of the pictures how the magnets actually took a warped piece and held it flat to the table even thoough the magnet did not come in direct contact with the steel. This is attributed to the strength of the magnet when used with thicker steel.

Now for building accuracy, I spent more time leveling and straightening the table than I did actually building it. I used pricision equipment to do this.... This table is within .010" from being perfectly flat/straight. It did unfortunately cost a good deal of money to buy the materials, but I have been welding for years so the labor was cheap. I built this table and a steel wing press for about $350 just in materials.... I have lost track of the $$$ value in magnets ( well over $100)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37535.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	167536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30256.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	167537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93130.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	167538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq45136.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	167539  
Old 08-25-2004, 09:47 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

These pictures show many different ways that I use the magnets for building..... In the last picture, There are 2 pieces of 1/8" BIRCH ply that form the motor box of this CARDEN EDGE..... The both were worped and you can see how flat they sit with the magents just sitting on top....and no the magnets do not weigh so much that they are weighing the ply down
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78918.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	167545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37461.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	167546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19933.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	83.0 KB