Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Finally!!! Completed Something Extra -1st Kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Finally!!! Completed Something Extra -1st Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 03:21 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finally!!! Completed Something Extra -1st Kit

Finally, after approximately 14 months of starting, stopping, putting it up, bringing it back down, I have completed my first kit and also my first covering job. I have built ARF's in between, repaired other planes, lost a few in the process, and repaired others, only to always come back to working on my Something Extra. When I would get stuck I would come here to look for help, and you all were great in helping out. I must have 15 threads on the Extra in my subscribed to section and kept going back to them time after time. I am running a OS46fx with a JR R700 receiver and JR537 servos (yes, I know maybe I should have used others). I changed the main gear to raise the front and added a Sullivan tailwheel, but mostly it is a straight build. I hope to maiden this weekend, but not sure if I will get to.

I do want to thank all of you who responded to my questions and provided assistance when I needed it. And to those who saw me respond to other threads on the Something Extra with "...well I have a Something Extra that is just about finished..." Well it is true now. This website has to be one of the greatest.

BTW: This is my first covering job and I used Ultra Cote. I will do so again. (It is Pearl Green, Pearl White with Pearl Black Trim)

So now what do you think I am going to do? Put another on the bench?.....yeah right. No I am going to celebrate some, fly awhile, then probably in the Fall start on my Sig Hog Bipe! See ya in another 14 months with some more pics.....LOL

Now to the pics:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54646.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	144694   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85061.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	144695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39489.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	144696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61281.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	144697  
Old 06-18-2004, 03:34 PM
1rcflier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Finally!!! Completed Something Extra -1st Kit

Congrats!!! I'll be finishing my Sig SE in the next few weeks. Thought mine was taking awhile(1 month)...but 14 months...wow. Looks good! And, yes the help on here has been great and much appreciated too.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:57 PM
voyager_663rd

Did you replace the "slidy tube" elev/rudder control rods with wire or dowels or did you leave it per plans? If per plans, do they bind? If so, how did you "unbind" them--ie make them slide easier?
Old 06-18-2004, 03:58 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Verrrry Nice!
'specially for a first time!
Old 06-18-2004, 04:11 PM
leftnut
My Feedback: (1)

that's a beautiful air plane. i like it.
what landing landing gear did you replaced with, a .40 or .60 size?
Old 06-18-2004, 04:29 PM
Abras

Nice job!
I'm building my fist kit too, a CG Extra.
Why did you said that you should use other servo than the JR537? I have 4 here (went with my radio) and I'm going to use then in my plane.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:00 PM
hookedonrc

-On the servos, there were those that thought that I should go with higer torque one's, but I think the 537's should be just fine for the SE.
-I did replace the "nylon tube" elvator/rudder controls. I kept the external sleeve and slid a 2x56 rod into it's place.
-On the landing gear, I am not sure, I just measured the stock one and bought one that gave me extra clearance. I think I added about 1 1/2" to the front by doing so. I bought it at my LHS and it wasn't labled or anything.

Regarding the 14 month's, remember that I did do other things. There were times that I just hung it up for a while. Since it was my first kit I did run into problems. I had to re-sheet the leading edge on one of the wings because I used too much Windex when bending the sheeting and it warped and couldn't be straightned. I had to do the front turtle deck over because the balsa that came with the kit was too stiff even after trying the Windex method. I have attached two pics of what it looked like. And as far as the covering, boy I took my time and went very slow. For those who might be wondering, I did cover the parts first like you get in an ARF, then went back and removed it where the epoxy went. I also re-enforced the tail where the Sullivan tailwheel is by adding another layer of light ply. Sorry no pics of that.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57904.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	144733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68766.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	144734  
Old 06-18-2004, 05:58 PM
DrFun

looks great,

have fun with it.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:15 PM
Bruno Stachel

Beautiful plane. So far, the Something Extra has been my favorite plane to fly. I hope you enjoy yours. And good idea about adding the extra ply for the tail wheel.

I've got you beat though. I build the Sig Midstar as my first build. It took me about 20 months. Same deal - starts and stops along with some mods that took extra time.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:47 AM
TNRabbit

Sa-WEET! Great lookin' plane...
Old 07-18-2004, 06:38 PM
AltimaDude

Not bad at covering job! Well i aready beat you all, i built mine for almost 5 years! After all going thought girlfriends, family problems, and all of those things that prevents me from competely finish it. the first flight was last week and it flew so good. I was expecting it would be snappy as those .40 planes but instead this one is better. It is powered by O.S. .50 SX or FX i don't remember. No mods at all, a pure somethin' extra. I will get pics soon.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:08 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice job for your first covering. I'm covering my first kit now, also with Ultrakote.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:56 PM
j_oly1999

If you guys are still checking out this thread, I built an SE this winter and had some questions on a few details that i was wondering how others did. Ill check this out soon to see!, Nice planes guys, I must have won the race on shortest build though, I bought the kit in Mid December, And I've got all but the Fuselage and wings covered yesterday. I am wondering why you would change the L.G., to raise the front for Prop clearance???, I'm putting on an OS FL 70 four stroke in mine, and I usually run a 13X5 prop for fun flyin or a 14X4, would it clear???
Old 01-19-2005, 04:06 PM
dbruening80

13X5 prop for fun flyin or a 14X4, would it clear???

no[:@]
Old 01-19-2005, 04:07 PM
jspencer
My Feedback: (6)

There is no way that size of prop would clear. I have a 46FX on mine and a 11x4 prop that I just put on. Went out on Saturday and now it is 10.5x4. It was windy and had a couple of rough landings. I just posted a question in this forum asking for suggestions on landing gear.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=2559674

James
Old 01-19-2005, 06:38 PM
hookedonrc

jspencer - I did see your other thread, I just didn't know what the part number was of the gear that I have on my SE. I just took the stock gear down to my LHS and held it up to the gear that is now on my SE. It was about 1 1/2" taller, a more angled shape, and somewhat stronger than the stock gear. One of the guys in our club had a devil of a time with the stock gear bending when landing in the grass, not to mention the prop turning green on the ends from hitting the top of the grass. He finally had enough and bought a new gear as well.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:07 PM
conradj87

Might be a stupid question....
Could you just bend the stock gear straight? use a vise and some big pliers, it would increase the clearance, but would it be strong/straight?
Old 01-19-2005, 07:20 PM
hookedonrc

Well, I guess you could, but you would lose the width of the original, and I believe that aluminum gear gets softer the more you bend it. And I just didn't want the aggravation of trying to make it match on each side. And besides, part of the reason for changing was the stronger nature of the aluminum in the larger gear. The stock gear is pretty soft IMO.