Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Trainer 40

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Great Planes Trainer 40

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 09:51 AM
benngrp
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Trainer 40

Am trying to finish a Great Planes Trainer 40 that I bought in 1983. Great kit and airplane, but I can only find the instruction manual and photo sheet of the various steps. Anyone have a set of these old plans or know were I can obtain them. This kit has a symmetrical wing and is not like there current MK II trainer. Thanks
Old 07-16-2004, 09:56 AM
carrellh

Default RE: Great Planes Trainer 40

Atthe top of the kit building forum is a sub-forum for Great Planes support. If no o ne has them, ask the question there to find out if the plans can be bought from GP
Old 07-16-2004, 10:06 AM
Connery

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've still got the plans for my Trainer 60, but that wouldn't do you much good. According to the Great Planes web site, you can purchase the plans for $20 and the manual for $10. Contact them at [email protected] or 1-217-398-8970.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:03 PM
phread59

Check with RCM. I have a set of the plans for this bird. Wingspan is 58 1/2 ", fuse is 51 1/4". It is the updated version with bolt on wing. It does show the older band wing. Just log on to thier site and look under the plans section. You should find them there. Good luck with it. I have mine 1/2 finished.

Mark Shuman
Old 07-18-2004, 04:47 PM
benngrp

Mark, Do the RCM plans have the symmetrical wing. I think this model was an old Bridi creation. I'll take a look at their web site. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:29 PM
benngrp

Thanks to all who took the time to read my message. Believe it or not, one of the guys in my RC Club had a set of the plans and took the time to tell me of some of the pit falls with building and flying this airplane.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:49 AM
Mike in DC

It's a fun plane, and you'll enjoy building it, but I would not recommend it for actual use as a trainer. It's an old design, before light ply, and in particular, the tail end is very weak, and the fuse will break in two just in front of the horiz stab.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:34 AM
airbornII

Hey, I have also been looking for these plans. I see that you found someone with them in your club. I have one that I bought a looooonnnnnggggg time ago, and never finished. I hate to see it there and would like to finish it. I would be willing to pay for a copy of the plans if you could look into it and let me know. I have only actually finished building one plane from start to finish, and I have a glider that will be done within the next day or two. I have another plane and glider that I will be finishing soon, also. I am trying to improve my modeling skills to build a few war planes and a 1/4 scale piper cub. I would appreciate any help that you can give me. I am also going to build a Carl Goldberg Vector from scratch, off of the plans, the one I had got stolen, but I still have the wing. I hope to hear from you soon, have a good one, and happy flying.

Doug
Old 08-12-2004, 01:30 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

My Great Planes Trainer 40 was a blast to fly. Flew more like a sport than a Trainer though, so I would not really recomend it as a good first Trainer. Not compared to what is available now. I wish they would start producing these again because I am in the same boat with no Plans. Mine met an unfortunate end when a Wing Bolt Mount Broke during a High G Loop. The wing seperated from the Plane at about 300 ft up. The Plane went in at full throttle while the wing fluttered down without a scratch. So I have a nice wing for a Trainer 40, but no fuse to stick it to. I to hope to come across a set of plans someday so I can build me a new fuse for my wing.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:33 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

A photo of my poor GP Trainer .40 before the big wing seperation.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32135.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	163078  
Old 08-12-2004, 03:36 PM
Al Stein

Doug --

My machine crashed trying to email you, but I wanted to offer to sell you a set of plans (reasonable, of course) if you're still in need.
Drop me a note at [email protected]