Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 08:11 PM
-olllllllo-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon

nice shop setup willy.

now i'm just curious, are you cookin toast in the shop or doing some plastic forming? lol

good job on the decathlon sofar. mine has been temporarily shelved for cabin building funds. hopefully, in the next 2 years i'll get back at er!!
Old 07-23-2011, 10:14 PM
dumorian
My Feedback: (6)

Bad, bad, bad... I see one model found its way into the ultility portion of the 'cave'.

That is VERY nice. I spent most of today... in the 'heat', moving stuff our of my old garage/shed/storage building/garden shed/hanger/hobby workshop. I really don't know what to call it except it was very old and it is way too full of crap gathered up over the 25+ years living here. I have one more week before tear down begins. I have a lot more to do including a lot of trips to the dump. I do hope the heat lets up a bit. It was oppressive today and I just couldn't drink enough fluids. I think yesterday and today are supposed to be the worst here.

These photos are giving me inspiration, that all I am doing is going to be worth it in the end. And I had forgotten about air! Good idea on getting the compressor in the other room. We plan to do a lean to sort of side extension with just a gravel bottom for mower and garden tools stuff. My compressor could certainly go out there as well! Get the noise out of the shop. Do a switch in the shop to power it up.

Fantastic work space and I see a LOT of work in those benches and shelving. It does look like you have accomplished a great space that I'm sure you love to visit as often as possible.

Good job on the wing. And good job on the reinforcement for the struts. I did one thing a bit dumb on my struts and I still haven't remembered to fix it. I drilled the screw holes pretty much the size of the screws. I fight this every time I put it together and have had to replace two of the brass female threaded inserts due to this problem. Yes, when the struts are on there is no play possible. But, getting them on and the holes aligned is a dog. I'm really careful starting the screws, but have still manages to bugger up twice. It is time to drill those holes out just one drill size larger.

We have a 'Cub' fly in at our club tomorrow. I think they might be a bit flexible. I have my bigger hi-wing models in the trailer on charge tonight. I sort of expect that they won't mind things like a Decathlon flying about. I do have a 1/3 scale Super Cub and a 1/4 scale clipped wing cub and a Carl Goldberg ?1/6? scale that are going along... but the Decathlon just might get in a flight or so tomorrow.

Keep her going! Looks like great progress in a great place to work.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:00 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: WILDCRASHWILLY

Dumorian,

Here are some pics of the new Man-Cave.

Very nice WILDCRASHWILLY,

Thanks for sharing pictures of your wealth with us.

Best enjoyment to you in building the decathlon in such nice environment.

Zor
Old 07-24-2011, 08:38 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Zor,

Wealth??? No wealth... Just a bank loan. The equipment was purchased one at a time and gifts from the wife at holidays and birthdays over the last ten years. My old shop is pictured on a (Lets see your shop thread here on RCUNIVERSE). It was starting to show its age. I tried to remodel it about seven or eight years ago and although I prolonged the life of the building for several years, it's difficult to turn a termite infested tent into a comfortable working environment. However, I must say it served a purpose before I was finally in a position and had the wife's support to tear it down and build this one. I worked on cars and trucks when I was younger in the other one. When becoming addicted to this hobby, I wanted to build something a little more focused on the planes.

Dumorian,

Thanks for the warning about the screw holes in the struts. I'll remember to use caution when drilling them.
The benches on the wall were built for me as a Christmas present by my father in the eighties. I placed 1/4 inch luane on the surface to cover up some gouges and wear. I then repainted them white to help brighten up the area. They use to be stained wood. I built the 4 X 8 bench you see mounted on the wheels. I got the idea off another thread here on RCUNIVERSE. I painted the interior with the whitest white I could find to help with the light. You can't have too much light. I realize that as I get older. I have the lights in the front room on three separate switches. If I don't need all that light I can always turn a row off. Much more difficult to go back and install lights after the fact if you find you want more. Some advise. spend extra money on insulation it will pay in the long run. I have central heat and air and found with this heat wave I would have been in trouble without the heavy insulation in the walls, ceiling and the doors. Unfortunately the door insulation is the weakest part but with the garage doors I have, this is the best I could do.

OllllllO,

You're correct about the toaster. I saved it from a trip to the dump when my wife decided to get a little larger toaster oven. I want to try my hand at building some plugs and molding plastic, but not sure I have the skill set to try this. If it does'nt work out I can always heat some Hot Pockets while building on the Decathelon.

Thanks all for your patience and interest in the shop. I will not bother you anymore off topic and will focus on the dacathelon build. Going out to the shop to build in a few minutes.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:41 AM
Zor
Banned

Bill,

I am only happy for you to have achieved a long time desire that you well deserved after all these years of hard work.

I had a best friend that retired and in the process sold his share in the company for (7) seven million dollars. I asked him why he was still driving an old car about 15 years old.

His reply was "quality and ease of fixing himself" compared to new vehcles.
I personally have a 1995 Thubderbird and a 1979 Ford van (small RV) which I drive around town every week.

Iam thinking of installing a new receiver and modern servos in my old Piper Super Cruiser.
It is only 50 years old.

Back to the Decathlon

Enjoy,

Zor
Old 07-24-2011, 10:29 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Zor,

Thanks for the comments, If I had that kind of wealth I would be retired and doing nothing but my hobby now. I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee with 152,000 miles that I use as my toy to pull my trailer back and forth to the club field. I do have a fairly new car that I use for work as a territory sales rep. I wear those cars out after about 3 and a half years. My company pays mileage which covers the cost of the car. but they require that I not keep a car over four years or 150,000 miles whichever occurs first. I'm not hard on a car however, I get close to the 150 k after about 3 and a half years. When not doing my job I normally run around in the Jeep. I still have about 14 years until retirement if then, and I've seen so many people wait until retirement to enjoy their hobby just to suffer illness or death in a few short years. Not that I plan to go early... but you never know. Sometimes God has different plans than we do.

Some get wealthy, and I'm very happy for them. I have a little different path I guess, but I'm happy. [&:]

It's a shame we have to work for a living.

I tried that lottery a couple of times. That didn't work out so I guess I won't quit my job.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:24 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

WILDCRASHWILLY,
I must say that my keyboard is completely ruined now. I've been sitting here looking at your shop and I just can't stop from drooling over it!!!!!

Very nice shop setup you have there. I'm in the planning stage of getting a new shop/studio setup for myself and I've taken some notes off of your setup. I like what you have. I really like the wood storage you have under you building table!!!

Thanks for sharing your pictures

Ken
Old 07-24-2011, 08:19 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Thanks RCken,

I have plans in the other side. I cut 3 inch PVC sewer pipe into 45 inch lengths, glue a pipe cap on one end. When I get a new plan I put it in the pipe, then stick a pipe cap on the open end but,, DON'T GLUE IT, it is a tight fit and does a good job of protecting your plans.

I got a lot of ideas off the thread below. It's a good read, especially some of the small shops as those folks learned how to maximize space. The shop I tore down is in that thread. I had just put a fresh coat of paint on it. It's amazing what a little paint can do for an old building. But time finally caught up with it.

Glued more sheeting on the Decath wing today. Did not get as far as I had hoped. A friend came over needing assistance with his plane so that he can fly next weekend. He is just learning about the hobby so I worked with his plane some. Forgot to take pics of the additional work on the wing, I will get a couple tomorrow night after I do a little more work to it.

Shop Thread,

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_13..._1/key_/tm.htm

Old 07-26-2011, 05:17 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Didn't get a chance to work on the Decathlon last night as I had to help my son change a powerbrake booster on his truck. It was a pain but with 175,000 miles it was due I guess. Anyway, I took a couple pics of the wing. Still need to add leading edge, servo rails, and cap strips. Out of town tonight. Will work on it when I return home. Have asked the wife to work on it while I'm on the road, but she doesn't seem interested in building.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61522.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	1640439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72687.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	1640440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81884.jpg
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	1640441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg98256.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	1640442  
Old 08-14-2011, 07:25 PM
nh4clo4
My Feedback: (33)

Received my kit last week. Going to start in the next few weeks. Just seeing if anyone is still working on theirs.
Ed
Old 08-15-2011, 06:24 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Sorry guys,

I have been off of mine a couple of weeks due to a crash and resulting post mordem to try to find out what happened. I had lost signal or power at the Rx. Have had a lengthy conversation with the Hitec thread folks. Got back on the Dacath last night but failed to take pics. I'll take a couple tonight of the wing, cap stripping etc. Plan to start on the second wing tonight.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:54 PM
impulse09
My Feedback: (3)

So I'm rapidly approaching the end of my build and I'm wondering how to arrange my ignition/battery/fuel tank. I want access to the inside of the fuse in front of the windscreen, but that is supposed to be buttoned up. I also want the put the tank closer to CG but that shouldn't be a problem. Does anybody have pictures or a description of their ignition/battery setup/locations?? I don't want to spoil the build by thinking too hard.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:35 AM
Kolbboer

Hi!

Great thread! have just joined RCU.
Istarted to build my Dynaflite Decatlon late last year.
Engine:G38 with a Toni Klark muffler (picture)
located behind the firewall.

Jan Børresen Norway

Name:	Kh17717.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	1652901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52670.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	1652902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54113.jpg
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	1652903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12812.jpg
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1652904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28405.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1652905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64940.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1652906  
Attached Images  
Old 08-24-2011, 07:03 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: Kolbboer

Hi!

Great thread! have just joined RCU.
Istarted to build my Dynaflite Decatlon late last year.
Engine:G38 with a Toni Klark muffler (picture)
located behind the firewall.

Jan Børresen Norway

Welcome Jan and salutations from Canada. ,

Nice pictures and installation.

Keep us posted .

Zor

Old 08-25-2011, 12:13 AM
beepee

Where did you get that 90 deg. carb manifold. i can see that coming in handy.

Good engine choice.

Bedford
Old 08-25-2011, 06:21 AM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: beepee

Where did you get that 90 deg. carb manifold. i can see that coming in handy.

Good engine choice.

Bedford
It comes from Tony Clark in Germany.

In his catalogue, it's called a carb bend.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Kolbboer

Hi!

Correct its Toni Clark

AtToni Clark's home page there is a video of a Tiger Moth.This plane have a Zenoah 38.
Listen to the sound of that engine!
I have been watching this video many times, thats why iwantedthis setup, a large muffler locatedbehind the firewalland acarb bend.
Makes it possible todraw the air frominside of the fuselage. (reduses the intake noise and gives a deepen tone)I have made a balsa-tunell from the firewall andinto the fuselage.
Then i fit the tank at the CG position. The muffler compartment is shut off from the fuselage with 4mm balsa sheet.

The firewall have been modified (made of real aircraft plywood laminated and reinforced)

Borre
Old 09-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Kolbboer

Hi!

Tank you for welcoming me.
I should not focus so much on my engine installation in the future...
Last week i started to cover the fuselage, Withwhite Solartex. (adding picturesof covering later)

Hereis some pictures from last winter when i startedmy building.

Borre

Name:	Pn37592.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1656565   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45629.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	1656566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75379.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1656567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd87725.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1656568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi61448.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1656569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pg62066.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1656570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81523.jpg
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1656571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18373.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1656572  

Old 09-18-2011, 07:22 AM
chrisp32

i was thinking of puting a DLE 30 in my decathlon but have stumbled across a good deal on an RCG 50cc, think this is gross overkill? or will it work out ok? thoughts?
Old 09-18-2011, 01:11 PM
box car

ORIGINAL: chrisp32

i was thinking of puting a DLE 30 in my decathlon but have stumbled across a good deal on an RCG 50cc, think this is gross overkill? or will it work out ok? thoughts?
You had it right with the DLE 30, thats what I use on mine. Mine is on the heavy side because I made it a bush plane with 6 inch. wheels andsheeted with 3/32 balsa and has flaps.
Ken
Old 09-18-2011, 03:11 PM
chrisp32

I have heard that these planes routinely need a lot of nose weight? Would the extra few ounces help me? I know that it would be way more power than I need with the rcg 50 but I could just set it up to not to to full throttle also and the physical size isn't much bigger. Figur this would work especially since the rcg50 is the same price as the dle 30. Also if you used the dle 30 did you need to do anything to space the engine from the plane bit?
Old 09-18-2011, 03:21 PM
box car

ORIGINAL: chrisp32

I have heard that these planes routinely need a lot of nose weight? Would the extra few ounces help me? I know that it would be way more power than I need with the rcg 50 but I could just set it up to not to to full throttle also and the physical size isn't much bigger. Figur this would work especially since the rcg50 is the same price as the dle 30. Also if you used the dle 30 did you need to do anything to space the engine from the plane bit?
Yes I had to add a 1/2 inchto the fire wall. They do build tail heavey so the 50 will help there.
Ken
Old 09-18-2011, 03:27 PM
chrisp32

Ken. Is there any complications you can think of that could come of me limiting the rpm limit of the airplane seeing that the engine is about 25% bigger than it is supposed to be?
Old 09-18-2011, 06:21 PM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't forget that your 50cc engine will swing a much larger prop than your 30cc engine. So even at idle, you'll get a lot more thrust. That will keep the plane moving along and may make landings too long or just plain difficult.

You may also find that the structure is not up to the loads imposed by the larger engine. Remember, the fuselage is constructed of lite ply, which is both soft and heavy.

It would also be a good idea to replace the lite ply for the firewall with aircraft grade ply.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:03 PM
beepee

... and you will have marginal ground clearance with the larger prop on the 50. Some have had no problem. I was about max'd out with the 18" I usually used. A 20" would get me ground strikes when I did not expect them.

Bedford

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.