Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 12:58 PM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynaflite super decathlon side windows gluing help

Can any one who has finished a dynaflite super decathlon tell me how to glue in the side windows withot getting glue on unwanted places thanks trainermaster 80 frankie
Old 10-30-2019, 12:59 PM
trainermaster80

Default Dynaflite super decathlon side windows gluing help

Can any one who has finished a dynaflite super decathlon tell me how to glue in the side windows withot getting glue on unwanted places thanks trainermaster 80 frankie
Old 10-30-2019, 02:23 PM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default gluing clear side windows

I used that white glue called canopy glue or originally R/C56 which you get at the hobby shops.
It looks like ordinary white aliphatic resin glue but smells different.

I started by putting the fuselage on its side and smearing the glue onto the wood inside where the window would go. Then I dropped the window in place ans squished it down to make good contact all around.
Some glue may squeeze out. Leave it alone. If you try to remove it, the plastic window will be etched and damaged. Once dry however, you can rub it off or cut it at the edge of the window frame to remove any excess. It will come off as though it was never there, leaving no trace.

Since there is poor exposure to the atmosphere, it takes about a day to thoroughly dry. When it is dry, you will see that it is clear and no longer white anywhere. If you see some white, it's still not completely dry.

Then I turned over the fuselage and did the other side.

For the windscreen, I taped it in place while the glue set up.

Took several days but since it took seven years for me to complete the plane, there was no hurry and a few days was really fast.

I suppose you could also use instant glue. However, that can be quite messy and can craze the plastic. Then it's a big problem to fix. With the canopy glue, you can also easily remove the windows for repairs.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:41 PM
do335a

Here's the stuff I used

Old 10-30-2019, 04:46 PM
ScaleRCpilot
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Gang! I used R/C 56 on my SD when it was built and I truly loved the stuff! However it is sold under a different name now. I'm sorry I do not recall the name but I purchased it off Amazon Prime and had it in 2 days. However the bottle was so - old it would not move from the bottle. So be aware of on-line purchase of chemicals!

I ended up using clear RTV Silicone adhesive in a very sparing way. It glued in the windows in very nicely on Sig Kaydet Senior Sport! So be careful and manage the silicone and it should work for you!
SR/CP
Old 11-01-2019, 03:59 PM
trainermaster80

thanks for the info. i knew about RC 56 but what i was looking for was help getting the side window past the slot at former #4. as it turned out there was some epoxy at the top of former #4 #4 on mine making it difficult to insert the side window. i user canopy glue 506 as rc 56 is no longer available here in st. Louis. any how i got both side windows glued i,n got some glue where i did not want it but cleaned it up as best as i could.
but hey thanks to both of you guys who responded. i started building in march 1915 & will finish ready to fly by Nov 11 119. hope to fly in spring but am having some distant vision problems i will be 91 in December. hope she flies well Frankie trainermaster80 thanks all.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:05 AM
trainermaster80

Default Dynaflite super decathlon kit windshield needed

I SPILLED CA ON MY DYNAFLITE SUPER DECATHLON KIT WIND SHIELD.
ANY ONE OUT THERE HAVE A NEW ONE OR A USABLE ONE FOR SALE? I WILL PAY YOUR PRICE + POSTAGE.
ATTENTION NEW BUILDERS I HAVE UPDATES & REMODS FOR THIS KIT [email protected]
Old 04-26-2020, 09:05 AM
do335a

Default Super Dud windscreen

That's the reason for using the canopy glue. Even if it spills onto the plastic, let it dry. Then remove as though it was never there.

With the CA, you have a problem. However, you may be able to soften it with acetone and then get most of it off, certainly enough that nobody will ever notice what happened.

I've found that the nasty CA glue has a way of being electrostatically attracted to the windscreen plastic. No way around it no matter how much I try to remove static charge from the plastic. And the insufferable glue leaves fine streaks behind. Total mess.
Old 05-16-2020, 02:13 PM
olivier75_fr2002

Default Need spare for this kit

Hi,

I just bought this kit in a sale. Never been flew, not yet finished, but missing some stuffs:
- Wing struts
- Side windows
- Windshield
- Plan

If you have any of those, please send me a mp, you save me (at least with the side windows and windshield.
Olivier (Houston, Tx).

Old 05-17-2020, 10:14 AM
do335a

The side windows are simply flat plastic sheet. Easy to cut from stock.

The wing struts are spruce. Easy to make from stock. I suggest that you make a mod, as I did, to get rid of those flimsy plastic connectors which will fail and then not be easy to replace.

The plan is available for free download from Aerofred here:
https://aerofred.com/details.php?image_id=93138

You must sign up for an account prior to download.

The front windscreen could probably be made by first making a template of card stock and then cutting it from plastic sheet, just as it's done with the Sig 1/4 scale Cubs. You can get the Cub template from the instruction book which is a free download at the Sig website. Of course, it won't fit exactly since that's a different plane. However, it's a great starting point.

I built a Dynaflite Super Dud many years ago and you can see my comments on it throughout the thread, such as inaccuracies in the plans, porky weight and in my case crappy flight characteristics. Wish you the best of luck with yours.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:16 PM
trainermaster80

HAVE YOU GOT ALL YOU NEED FOR YOUR SUPER DECATHLON ?
I HAVE SOME STUFF FOR THAT KIT
EMAIL ME YOUR NEEDS.
FRANK GRUSWITZ
[email protected]
Old 12-13-2020, 07:46 AM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, I'm coming back to kit building after a long hiatus and interested in the Dynaflite Decathlon. Seems like a good kit and straightforward build, but the too long nose of the original has always bothered me.
Has anyone tried to kitbash this thing and shorten the nose an inch or so to bring the profile closer to the full scale plane?? I know about the tail heaviness issues that already exist, but there are ways to work around that. I just think this plane would look really nice with a shorter front section.

Last edited by LuvBipes; 12-13-2020 at 07:55 AM.