Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Cap 232 Kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Great Planes Cap 232 Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 01:53 AM
kiwisdofly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Cap 232 Kit

Hey all,

Im new to posting on these boards but thought it would be great to get some expert level opinions on my latest project. Its a Great Planes Cap 232 and I have only got to paint the wheel pants and she will be airborne on the weekend. I will post latest !QUOT!finished job!QUOT! pics tomorrow, however I thought that I could start by posting the planes details including the various mods that I made. I am interested in anyones opinion, particularly anyone who is flying the same model!! I have to admit that apart from the use of composites the majority of the mods I made were based on set -up tips or suggestions from this site (well, the ones I agreed with). The plane has taken me quite a while to finish with more than my fair share of 8 hour stints on some weekends. I have to say that I don't think that I could ever buy an ARF and get the same enjoyment as I do when a kit leaves the ground for the first time!!

Here we go

Specs:

Great Planes Cap 232 (46 kit)
OS 61fX w/ Bissons pitts
JR 6 channel pcm radio gear
Monokote and Lustrekoat used for the finishing job
Plane weight is 5 and a half pound

Mods Fuse:

*Fiberglass Cowl (NO ABS please)
*Unidirectional Carbon Fiber reinforcement on landing gear base (exterior)
*reinforced landing gear doublers inside fuse
*Fuel hatch re-cut in lighter ply
*Blind nuts installed to accept lighter wing bolts
*Pull pull system on rudder using the servo location from the plan
*Sullivan type tail wheel with servo saver springy thing

Mods Wing:

*Uni directional Carbon Fiber reinforcement top and bottom of mid-wing
*2.5kg JR micros in each wing panel for ailerons
*Ailerons replaced (fire the balsa manager at great planes) with larger versions (5mm in Chord increase)

Comments appreciated
Attached Images    
Old 11-10-2004, 09:52 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great Planes Cap 232 Kit

Looks like a winner! I can't get your photos to come out larger than the original thumbnails to see better though??? On mod that I did on mine was to raise the fuel tank so that it more closely matched the carb on my OS.70 which is mounted on it's side. You are way beyond that option though. Good Luck on your first flight..........it is a very nice flying airplane.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:02 AM
Spoiler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Cap 232 Kit

Looks good. Look for the thread "GP Cap is almost there" for some recent posts amd pics of some recently built planes. Mine has OS 50 sx power, which is pretty adequate with 10% and a 13x4 prop. I modded mine only slightly - moved rudder servo to l/h side (pull/pull strikes me as a better option tho), plastic u/c bolts and new blind nuts ( do this if you do nothing else - has saved me on 3 rough landings and means u dont need the beefed up u/c mounting.) I also cut lightening holes in the ele and rudder tip pieces. I stuck with std aileron set up - my parts were fine. Plane rolls very fast even with such thin ailerons! Mine also came out quite light. Watch out for windly days as the plane is light and bulky and gets tossed about easily