Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Global Raven

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Global Raven

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 12:41 PM
glowstart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Global Raven

Just purchased a 62" Global Raven at a local swap meet dirt cheap. Nice looking plane and the builder was a real craftsman. It looks like it was never flown, and is 90% complete. I discovered later all the threads converning this plane, with it being overweight and subject to snap rolls, but thought I'd give this one a go....be tough to go wrong with a $25 plane!

Just a couple of questions. The Raven was missing the canopy as well as the cowl. Plan on purchasing a cowl from either Aeroglass or Fibreglass Specialties, but have not found a source for the canopy. I called Global and they said parts for the Raven are no longer available since it has been out of production for a number of years. If one cannot be found, does anyone have any suggestions? Was thinking of trying to build a plug of blue foam, shape it to the correct pattern, and create a fibreglass mold over the plug.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Any opinions about this plane?
Old 01-12-2005, 12:50 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Global Raven

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Any opinions about this plane?
I'll suggest that before you buy a cowl or make a canopy, you fly the plane and see how it fits in with your flying style.

The reputation of that plane is, if you like flying and landing at a high speed, you will love it. If not, the results will be less pleasant.

Best to learn where it fits in your hangar before spending money on an expensive cowl, or sinking a bunch of work into making a canopy.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 01-12-2005, 02:34 PM
glowstart

I tend to like the more aerobatic planes of this size. Thought this would be a challange with a low investment. I have no problem flying without a cowl. but since it is a mid-wing plane, the canopy covers about 1/3 of the top fuselege. Plan on making this a fun project with minimal investment. [sm=bananahead.gif]

My current hanger:

Piper Cub 40
Contender
66" Edge 540 Vectorflight
66" Chipmunk [ scratch built ]
64" Extra Great Planes 60
Patriot Great Planes
Zagi
Old 01-15-2005, 11:18 AM
glowstart

Any comments about the Raven? Personnel experiences? When I get to it, will most likely put in a 91fs since it seems like it may be a little tail heavy and could use some weight up front. It's a nice looking plane, a little like a CAP, but likely to tip stall like a CAP if not careful. Wing seems to have a bit of built in washout which should help thing a bit.

Does anyone have any ideas how long it's been out of production?
Old 01-15-2005, 02:04 PM
av8r4aa
My Feedback: (82)

I had one and it was crashed on the maiden flight.
Had it test flown by the best rc pilot I have ever known.
(40 years building and flying)
It is a VERY UNSTABLE platform.
The wing is not designed correctly .The plane has a 666 airfoil on it.
I would put as little money in it as possible. Fly it crash it and move on.
I have read that a very few people enjoy their Raven.
I did not enjoy mine.
It is the kind of plane that you get on the ground and say
never again.
The only thing that this plane did well was knife edge.
I would guess that when you remove the wing from the flying equation
it did a good job!
Good Luck
Greg
Old 01-16-2005, 09:48 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 354 Likes on 284 Posts

Mine flew fine for years. Had an OS 61 long stroke in it. Landed a little fast but nothing out of the ordinary for that type of plane. With the 61 it was probably under powered by today's standards but it flew fairly scale like. The guy I sold it to crashed it recently I'll see if he kept the canopy. I'd say if it was bad enough to crash on the first flight it was probably built heavy or the cg was further back than it should be, I started at the forward range and moved it back a bit as I got comfortable till it would snap like I wanted. The elevator was fairly sensitive as well, but a little less throw and some expo and it was enjoyably flyable.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:44 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

A raven ??thats a name I have not heard in a while .My son got me one when they first come out 10 -12 yrs ago.I could see right off the plane was going to build heavy so I took out alot of unneeded wood with a hole saw.Plus I threw away that wire gear and put on some Alum gear. Ididnt seem to have any tip stall probs at slower speeds but the plane just didnt feel right for some reason.I was flying a Extra 300 at that time and the Raven would in no way compair to it.So while it was still in pristine condition I sold it .Never got any bad feedback from the fellow so he must have liked it ok.
I agree put it in the air before you spend much money buying cowls and canopys or putting time in something that you wont like.
But here again flying it without the canopy is going to have some ill side effects also, the cowls is no biggy,may check to see if a GB extra 300 canopy would work ,seems like its about the same size .Sorry I cant be of more help.
Happy Landings.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:58 PM
fiffer

I also have that kit and am in need of a canopy, did you find out any more ?
Old 01-20-2007, 09:42 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a friend that pulled 3lbs out of this plane by replacing most of the ply constuction with balsa and lightning holes. He powers it with an OS .91 that pulls it straight up forever. The best knife edges I've ever witnessed!!!!! Pulling the weight out really turned this bird into a VERY gentle flyer. Come out at just under 8lbs. Stable in very slow flight. Very easy to command. Slow landings also.
However, he pulled a LOT of weight out of it. It tracks straight as an arrow!!!

He's got me wanting one and building it just like he did his.