Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

CG Chipmunk Engine Debate

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

CG Chipmunk Engine Debate

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 05:15 AM
rachelsd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CG Chipmunk Engine Debate

Rubberhead needs some suggestions and help. What engine will be the best for ol' Carl's chippy. Please consider weight and balancing. I want to keep this to scale (if possible) and a muffler out the bottom of coarse. This is my very first kit period, money is the bottom line, but I don't want to be disappointed trying to save a few bucks. Please use 4th grade language so my mommy don't have to tell me what the big words mean. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 04-29-2005, 06:43 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: CG Chipmunk Engine Debate

Mine has an OS 61 on it with a Pitts style muffler and I am very happy with it. Good Luck, Dave
Old 04-29-2005, 08:35 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have found any 90-class 4-stroke to be excellent!
Old 04-29-2005, 11:24 AM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

try a saito 100
Old 04-29-2005, 02:19 PM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello; Mine had a Saito 80 on it, but I bought a Saito 100 twin years ago for a GB Suhkoi, and am in the process of mounting that in the Chippy.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:38 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

It is a great plane. You will enjoy it very much. My plane has an OS Max 61 with a Slimline brand Pitts muffler. It sounds good and the power is great. The plane balanced with no lead what so ever with this engine. But you can always move your radio equipment forward or aft to balance the plane regardless of your engine choice.
I know everyone is sick and tired of seeing my Chipmunk, but I just can't help myself, sorry.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52255.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	264675  
Old 05-01-2005, 09:55 PM
sultangary
My Feedback: (2)

Ive used K&B and OS .61 engines. I then switched to 4 stroke. I have used Saito .72, 80, and .91 engines. for scale realism, the 4 stroke engines are your only choice. If you want top end speed, try a 2 stroke .61. The new Saito .82 is probably the best choice. The .91 had a bit more torque than necessary. The .72 was very scale looking, but a bit short on power for clean aerobatics. The .80 is what I settled on. If I had the money, I would put in the .82. The plane balances perfectly, with no weight added. It is an absolute joy to fly. It looks so real cruising by, but when you give it full throttle, it can go straight up for what seems like forever. Very clean aerobatics. Good luck. You will really enjoy flying the Chipmunk. Mine has been around for about 10 years. I never get tired of flying it.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:23 PM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

I've owned four Chippies. A .91 four stroke is just perfect w/o overpowering the airframe. I am currently running a YS 1.20. Yup, too much of everything including weight. Saito .91 with a 15-6 will give you almost unlimited vertical.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:00 PM
spitfire60
My Feedback: (1)

HELLO

I'M ONE OF THE FEW BUILDERS TAKE USED A OS 46FX W/12X4 PROP------IT HAS GOOD

SPEED AND GOOD VERTICAL--NOT UNLIMITED BUT IS QUITE SCALE---I'M VERY HAPPY

WITH IT.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:22 PM
jbloom

ORIGINAL: warhwk

I've owned four Chippies. A .91 four stroke is just perfect w/o overpowering the airframe. I am currently running a YS 1.20. Yup, too much of everything including weight. Saito .91 with a 15-6 will give you almost unlimited vertical.
Hey warhwk... I have a Goldberg Chippy with a Saito .91. I am however running a 14X8 but I'm not too happy with it. Just doesn't seem to have any"umph" to get it up. What kind of RPM's are you turning with a 15X6 on it? Is that an APC? or a MA K-Series?
Old 12-04-2005, 08:07 PM
campbec

Hi rachelsd,

I have a Super Tiger 75 in mine and it performs very well and was balanced by moving the battery pack (no lead). However on low fly byes it sounds like a two stroke....derrrrr. If you can afford it I would go with the 90 fourstroke. This is a great flying model you will love it.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 03-03-2006, 07:06 PM
lalaland

I just ordered the Goldberg Super Chipmunk. Came here to check on an engine for it. Seems like it will fly on anything from an O.S. 46 to a .120 4 stroke. Big difference. If I was into unlimited verticals, I'd buy me a rocket!

Anyhow, I'm an average flyer but I want my chipmunk to have enough power to get it off the grassy runway easily and fly more scale once airborne. I can always throttle back. I love the sound of the 4-strokes but on the other hand I have a new Super Tigre .61 2 stroke new in the box. I wonder if I should order an O.S. .91 4-stroke or go with the .61 super tigre?

And also, does that chipmunk have any nose over problems while taking off or landing with the wing mounted gear? Just wondering.

Any advise would be highly appreciated.

big dan
Old 03-03-2006, 08:47 PM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

My heavyweight engine pushes the weight limitations on a model that size, so... I crafted my own landing gear wire from 5/32 music wire and bent it forewards so that half the front wheel extends past the leading edge. I haven't had any nose-over problems, but I fly from pavement. I usually take off from a 3-point stance to avoid knicking my 16" prop. There is a perfect engine for every airframe, and a 91 FS is perfect for the Chipmunk. Good Luck
Old 03-04-2006, 08:28 PM
lalaland

Does the goldberg chipmunk have any nose-over problems on takeoffs or landings from a grassy runway?

big dan
Old 03-05-2006, 10:11 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bigdanusa

Does the goldberg chipmunk have any nose-over problems on takeoffs or landings from a grassy runway?

big dan
Yes. That's why I got rid of mine. This was before RCU/RCOnLine, and I didn't know about moving the wheels slightly forward of the LE. That works.

Built stock, particulary if the model is even slightly nose-heavy, it WILL continually want to nose-over when taxiing on grass. You can keep the tail planted during take-offs with judicious elevator use, but ya gotta be careful to keep from jerking it off the ground before she's ready to fly. Landing roll-outs are another great opportunity for a dinged prop and/or cowl, on grass; one major problem with an other wise excellent airframe. They fly great and look good. I was seriously considering getting and building another one; then I discovered the larger gasoline planes.

BTW, this problem is not confined the Chipmunk. Every model I've flown with the mains in the wing like this (Super Sportster, etc.) would do this to some degree. The trick, like warhwk said, is to get the wheel axles ahead of the wing LE.