Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

4*60 questions - I'm confused

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

4*60 questions - I'm confused

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 04:48 AM
rob2817

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4*60 questions - I'm confused

I have just finished building the wings today and can't figure out how to connect the ailerons. My trainer has a rod that connects the aileron to the fuselage but apparently this is not true with all planes including the 4 * 60. The only connection I can see from the schematics is where the rod extends from the servo to the mount on the aileron. This can't be right. Any insight would be swell.

Also, I will be starting the fuselage tomorrow and want to include the reinforcements that have been mentioned in other posts. One of the areas that has been mentioned is "behind the turtledeck (sp)". I am not sure where this is. If anyone could enlighten me on this as well as point out the other areas that should be reinforced it would be appreciated.

lastly, I am assuming that reinforcement is generally done with balsa/plywood so if this not the case insight on this would be great as well.

Thanks for all the help

Robert
Old 10-14-2002, 12:57 PM
CTDave
My Feedback: (1)

the dirlons are only hinged and then connected to the servo with the rod then adjusted so both are even.I did not reinforce anything on my 4-60 and have not had any problems.The only mods I did to mine was to put a fuel tank hatch on top and made the tail feathers solid balsa with lighting holes in them.flies like it is on rails.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:13 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Rob, I think you might be talking about the old-style torque rod setup using a single aileron servo mounted at the center of the wing driving both ailerons via toque rods. Those were popular back when RC electronics were considered expensive and there were no computer radio to program mixes. Most newer designs, including the 4*60, have gone to dual aileron servo setup with a separate servo driving each aileron half. The servo leads are then routed to exit near the center of the wing to connect to the receiver mounted in the fuselage.
Old 10-14-2002, 04:13 PM
rob2817

I understand that there are two servo setups for each side of the wing, connected with a Yharnes. The part that is confusing me is that there is one point of connection or point from the aileron to the wing, the pushrod. Is that strong enough to hold the two together?
Old 10-14-2002, 04:34 PM
techsarge
My Feedback: (1)

I may misunderstand your question but I'll try to answer. Each half of the wing will have one servo and each servo will connect to it's respective aileron by a pushrod. Each aileron will be connected to the wing by ca hinges which will act as pivot points and connections between the the wing and ailerons. Each hinge should be outlined on the plans as small rectangles (dashed or dotted lines) between the wing and ailerons with probably 4 or five for each section of he wing. Hope this helps...

Ed
Old 10-14-2002, 04:37 PM
LarryC

Rob

The aileron is held to the wing by the hinges, just the same as they would be if there were a torque rod going to a single servo in the middle of the wing. When a single servo is used, it is usually only to connect the servo to the control surface, not to hold it on to the plane.

With the 4 star 60, no torque arms needed.
The hinges hold the aileron to the wing. You only need a short pushrod on each wing half to connect the servo to the aileron. You should have a control horn for each aileron similar tho the ones for the elevator and rudder.

Hope that helps...

Larry
Old 10-14-2002, 06:59 PM
Oregon Craig

Didn't the kit come with the manual OR the plans?
Old 10-14-2002, 07:44 PM
Volfy

I *think* I understand your question now. You're doubting a single pushrod tied to a servo being stiff enough for what seems to be a very long aileron strip.

The answer is YES. Even for a model the size of the 4*60, a single standard BB servo with 40-50 Oz-in of torque provide plenty of control stiffness for that long aileron strip (assuming you don't overpower it with a humongous engine). It is, in fact, stiffer than a torque rod set up for two reasons:

1. Most torque rod set up uses a single servo, so unless you use a much higher torque servo you're splitting the available torque between the two ailerons strips. Dual servos provide much more combined effective torque, and therefore better control stiffness.

2. Torque rod setups control the strip aileron from the extreme inboard end. This requires the aileron wood strip itself to be stiff enough so that the outboard end doesn't warp with respect to the inboard end when you have a aerodynamic load on the aileron. Dual servo setups typically control at near the center of the aileron strip so tends to reduce any warping compared to the end-driven torque rod setup.

To put this all simply: don't worry, it's stiff enough.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:49 AM
rob2817

It was the hinges I was missing. Thanks for all of the help! They were not very clear on the schematics and so I wasn't able to find them.

Thanks again.
Old 10-15-2002, 05:18 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Volfy
You're doubting a single pushrod tied to a servo being stiff enough for what seems to be a very long aileron strip.
I am using 2-56 solid wires for my 4*60 elevator and rudder. Any idea if this is stiff enough. I was considering 4-40 wires but was concerned with weight and flexibility. Thanks..............
Old 10-15-2002, 05:22 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rajul:

I trust you have the wire attached to something or inside stiff tubing. I don't think 2-56 is adequate. These are a lot longer than the aileron rods and will flex too much in my opinion. That is not a solution for .40 size, let alone .60 size. What is wrong with what came in the kit??
Old 10-15-2002, 05:46 AM
rajul

Originally posted by 4*60
Rajul:

I trust you have the wire attached to something or inside stiff tubing. I don't think 2-56 is adequate. These are a lot longer than the aileron rods and will flex too much in my opinion. That is not a solution for .40 size, let alone .60 size. What is wrong with what came in the kit??
Hi 4*60, the 2-56 rods are inside nylon tube housings. I prefer metal rods which give better dimensional stability with varying temperatures. Yes the're longer than the aileron rods, but the tubes are well supported by the ply formers from middle to rear of fuse. ..............
Old 10-15-2002, 05:53 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds good! with the tubes. Terrific!
Old 10-15-2002, 06:04 AM
rajul

Originally posted by 4*60
Sounds good! with the tubes. Terrific!
Hi 4*60, I'll give the 2-56 rods a shot, but if I see any signs of the rods buckling between the tube exit point from the fuse and the control horns, I'll probably switch to 4-40. I'm using a OS61FX, so I am not sure if 4-40 is necessary at this point...........
Old 10-15-2002, 01:34 PM
Volfy

Rob, I swung and missed again! I guess I'm just not very good at reading you. Glad you figured it out though.

Rajul, 2-56 is usually plenty strong enough for .60 size planes, but like anything, it also depends on the install too. Running the 2-56 inside nylon tubing sounds pretty good and should work well. I wouldn't worry about the bare wire bending between the exit and the control horn, especially if it is a straight shot and kept relatively short. I would advise against running solid 4-40 all the way between underwing-mounted servos and the elevator & rudder. It gets heavy!

Be sure to support the guide tube mid section well within the fuselage. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:13 PM
rajul

Default 2-56 it is !

Hi Volfy, thanks for the confirmation !