RCU Forums - View Single Post - 4*60 questions - I'm confused
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2002, 07:44 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4*60 questions - I'm confused

I *think* I understand your question now. You're doubting a single pushrod tied to a servo being stiff enough for what seems to be a very long aileron strip.

The answer is YES. Even for a model the size of the 4*60, a single standard BB servo with 40-50 Oz-in of torque provide plenty of control stiffness for that long aileron strip (assuming you don't overpower it with a humongous engine). It is, in fact, stiffer than a torque rod set up for two reasons:

1. Most torque rod set up uses a single servo, so unless you use a much higher torque servo you're splitting the available torque between the two ailerons strips. Dual servos provide much more combined effective torque, and therefore better control stiffness.

2. Torque rod setups control the strip aileron from the extreme inboard end. This requires the aileron wood strip itself to be stiff enough so that the outboard end doesn't warp with respect to the inboard end when you have a aerodynamic load on the aileron. Dual servo setups typically control at near the center of the aileron strip so tends to reduce any warping compared to the end-driven torque rod setup.

To put this all simply: don't worry, it's stiff enough.