Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Tower Hobbies Extra Special

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Tower Hobbies Extra Special

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 01:24 PM
sporty76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower Hobbies Extra Special

I am about to begin my new project. This is my first kit and I have a few questions. Some places in the instructions tell me a specific glue or epoxy to use. Others don't. When it does not specify a glue type, should I just use CA? If so, should I use thin or medium?

Specifically, I am looking at glueing on the balsa sheeting on the fuse sides. If I use CA, how much should I use? Do I run a bead all the way down every stick or just place drops every 1/2" or so?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Frank
Old 10-25-2002, 01:50 PM
murphy
My Feedback: (19)

Sporty,
Ahh,, the Extra Special was my first-ever kit that I built as well!!!
I am by no means an extert, but I've built about 7 or so kits since. From my experience:

After you frame up the fuse, I believe the best way to glue the sheeting on it is to use an alyphatic glue,, (Yellow carpenters, like good old Elmer's). It's exceptionally strong, really cheap (compared to Cya, and very easy to wrk with, and even easier to sand). It's only drawback is that it takes a whtile to set-up and cure).

Just lay your frame on your FLAT building surface, and run a bead of it on top of the entire frame, postion your sheeting over it, and place some weight on it for about an hour. Use a few books, sandbags, dumbell llayed flat,, (I keep a few old car rotors around for stuff like this). I also use the Yellow glue to join the sheeting together at the splices,,(I keep an old Cya bottle with a "thinned" version of the Elmer's init,,, just add a like a tablespoon of water to it.

Cya can be used as well, I'd use the medium or thick stuff, so as it won't dry before you finish putting it on, but there's no need to spend that effort or expense.

Here's a pic of what we call "the Flea",,,,, cuz that's what it flys like!!! You'll love it,,,

John
aka "Murphy"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	32209_954.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	20361  
Old 10-25-2002, 02:52 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use MEDIUM CA for most of this kind of stuff.
Pros: Fast
Cons: Expensive, and you have to get it right the first time.

Thin CA should be used much less frequently. When you understand HOW thin CA works, you'll understand WHY.

Thin CA works on a "capillary" principle. This means it needs a porous surface (but no gaps). The proper way to use THIN CA is to have two pieces firmly placed together, then add the CA to the joint. A good example is when you have the end of a rib snugly fit into a notch in the trailing edge.

You never want to put thin CA on one piece, and then add a second piece. Use Medium CA for this type of gluing.
Old 10-25-2002, 03:16 PM
sporty76

Thanks for the advice. I had never thought of carpenters glue. Sounds like a good plan to me.

I have seen how thin CA works and I know what your talking about. I didn't think it would be a good choice. When you use the med CA, do you run a bead along the entire framework, or just drops spaced out? I suppose it would work either way.

Also when you are glueing the framework, do you use medium or pin it all together first and then drop some thin on it?

Thanks
Frank
Old 10-25-2002, 08:17 PM
WreckRman2
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too built the Extra Special as my first kit. Maybe this thread will assist you in building the kit.

http://www.********.net/forums/showt...p?threadid=665
Old 10-26-2002, 01:47 AM
sporty76

WreckRman,

I have already read the very lengthy thread at the other forum. That is what actually got me looking for this kit.

I am also from Indianapolis. Where do you fly at? I am on the east side and would love to get together some time and see some of you birds (especially the Extra Special)

Anyway, thanks for the input
Frank
Old 10-26-2002, 02:04 AM
WreckRman2
Banned

I fly where ever there is a crowd... The club I did join last year I flew at the least. I like going to all the events. Were putting together what we hope to be a big event next May at the Atterbury field. If you've never flown there you've gotta come down. I think it's the best field in a 50 mile radius of Indy. Click the link in my signature for more information on the event. Were inviting anyone that can make it.

As for the Extra Special I sold it to someone on the west side of town. I put about 50-75 flights on it then built a Morris Knife. The Knife is a lot more stable and 3D's alot better. The main reason I bought the Extra Special is because Tower discontinued the kit and was selling the left over stock for $30.
Old 10-26-2002, 02:43 AM
murphy

Sporty,
To answer some of your questions:
If you use the cya, run a thin bead of it along the frame wherever it will contact the sheeting,,,, (this would hold true for the wing sheeting as well),, I'll sometimes use kicker sprayed on the sheeting so that there is an "instant" stick, but don't do it as standard practice,,,,,

Like Minn said, only use the thin when 2 pieces fit tightly together,,, and I only use it to "tack" stuff,,, like when building a wing, I'll lay the ribs all square onto the spar, and "tack" them with a VERY SMALL amount of Cya,,,,, after the leading and trailing edges are "tacked',,,I'll go over the whole thing with the Alyphatic,,, (a little thinned), and I use a large hypodermic needle to apply it to all of the joints, I get the needles at the local AGWAY,,, they use them for giving cows and horsed injections,, about $2.00 apiece,,,,

Hope this helps,,,,

Oh, and BTW, i see in towers newest catalog, the Extra Special has been re-birthed!!!!! Now available as a kit again!!

john
aka "Murphy"
Old 10-26-2002, 03:09 AM
WreckRman2
Banned

Originally posted by murphy

Oh, and BTW, i see in towers newest catalog, the Extra Special has been re-birthed!!!!! Now available as a kit again!!
You sure your not looking at the P51 fun fly? I got Towers 2003 catalog as well as their latest monthly catalog today and neither have the Extra Special listed.
Old 10-26-2002, 03:12 AM
murphy

Default Hmmmmmmmm,,

Wreck,,,
Quess I'm gonna have to go down to "the reading room",, and take another look,,,,,,

John
aka "Murphy"