Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 build

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 02:32 AM
corsair01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 build

Hi tuwood, it's a kit from a German builder. http://www.emhw.de
I believe it's distributed by DA also.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:32 AM
RVM

I'm having a hard time finding time to build my stuff too. I'm really thinking about just buying a Krill composite plane. ^^ I just don't think the wife would like me blowing $5000+ on it and the equipment!
Old 05-28-2006, 12:36 PM
tuwood

ORIGINAL: RVM

I'm having a hard time finding time to build my stuff too. I'm really thinking about just buying a Krill composite plane. ^^ I just don't think the wife would like me blowing $5000+ on it and the equipment!
Yeah, that would be a tough sell. I had to agree to let my wife landscape the back yard in order to get my 30% Edge. I'm not sure what I'd have to do to spend $5k. lol
Old 05-28-2006, 01:27 PM
8D3
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: tuwood

I'm not sure what I'd have to do to spend $5k. lol
Well,I probaly wouldnt have to worry about what she thought about it,Im sure her lawyer would tell me,lol
Old 05-28-2006, 08:31 PM
RVM

Hey would you PM or e-mail me details of your 30% Edge? Some pics too? I'm looking for something in the 30% range for the end of the year. I was talking to my wife the other night and I'm pretty sure I have one, or maybe two more planes that I can get but then I'm done for quite awhile. I'm thinking about going to medical school and if I do she'll be paying the bill since I won't exactly be earning a whole lot . All things considered I don't think spending tons of moola on a hobby would be smart. She said that if this is a good year for us financially I can possibly put together a 30% for Christmas, but there is no way I would be allowed to go larger, and I won't be getting anything else other than required items such as fuel for a long time.

She's so good to me. I need to go kiss her right now.

ORIGINAL: tuwood

ORIGINAL: RVM

Yeah, that would be a tough sell. I had to agree to let my wife landscape the back yard in order to get my 30% Edge. I'm not sure what I'd have to do to spend $5k. lol
Old 05-28-2006, 09:03 PM
tuwood

It's a 30% BME Edge III http://www.bmeaircraft.com/html/edgeII/edgeII.html
Here's a video of JohnVH flying his: http://media.putfile.com/BME-Edge-540-II

I've already got the ugly rainbow's ripped off & am in the process of replacing them.

I've been posting some pic's in the BME thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4286559
If you go to the latest pages I've got a few pic's of my progress.

Here's the setup:
DA-50-R with Slimline Pitts (Tru Turn spinner)
Futaba PCM RX
Fromeco 2400 LithIon with reg's (dual for RX & 1 for ignition)
Hitec 5945's all around 5955 on rudder (futaba S3151 on throttle)

(notice, dual batteries & switches... )
Old 06-06-2006, 02:59 AM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Kinda belated but sorry for your loss. [] Man - that sucks! Beautiful job on the build though.

Color scheme made it look like the big brother to your SSE.

Compared to your SSE kit, how did you like the quality of the Goldberg kit?

somegeek
Old 06-06-2006, 06:00 AM
ysrcflyer

After following this thread from the begining and seeing what happened to Tony's Ultimate I decided to revamp my Ultimate before flying this year. I refit it with DUAL switches and batteries and a smoke system. Here are some pics of mods. The smoke system was designed from an old Carl Goldberg diagram that I found here on RCU using the YS pressurized fuel system for injection pressure. It did not affect the way the engine ran at all.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83659.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	472954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37862.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	472955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50786.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	472956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96256.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	472957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb37118.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	472958  
Old 06-06-2006, 06:54 AM
tuwood

ORIGINAL: somegeek

Kinda belated but sorry for your loss. [] Man - that sucks! Beautiful job on the build though.

Color scheme made it look like the big brother to your SSE.

Compared to your SSE kit, how did you like the quality of the Goldberg kit?

somegeek
Thanks for the kind words.

On the first kit there were some pieces that were warped pretty bad, but fortunately it was all standard stuff that I could buy at the LHS.
The second kit seems to have a lot better wood in it, but some of the aileron stock was warped. Fortunately Goldberg immediately sent me some replacement aileron's.

In my opinion the kit is a great second kit after the SSE. Other than a few more wing ribs & an extra wing that take a little more time, it goes pretty quick & there's nothing real hard.

I've been watching your SSE build too & it looks great!! Hopefully I'll get my Edge finished up in the next week or so. Then I can start back in on Ultie II.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:00 AM
tuwood

ORIGINAL: ysrcflyer

After following this thread from the begining and seeing what happened to Tony's Ultimate I decided to revamp my Ultimate before flying this year. I refit it with DUAL switches and batteries and a smoke system. Here are some pics of mods. The smoke system was designed from an old Carl Goldberg diagram that I found here on RCU using the YS pressurized fuel system for injection pressure. It did not affect the way the engine ran at all.
Very nice YS, I'm glad your getting some useful tips. I'm certainly running dual batteries/switches in all of my future planes.

One other thing I'll be doing to my next one is putting some triangle stock behind the mounting blocks for the bottom wing in the fuse & fuelproofing the wood. I showed a picture a while back of how mine sheared out in the crash & I believe somebody else said that area came apart due to fuel damage after many flights.

I should probably throw smoke on the next Ultie too, it just looks so cool!!!
Old 06-07-2006, 11:12 AM
maekju

ysrcflyer,

I have a old YS 120SC I was planning on using in my Uliti. From reading this thread a lot of guys are going with the Saito 125 because of the light weight. Were did you mount your servos for the elevator and rudder? When I bought this kit many years ago, seemed like the YS was the way to go and to offset the weight people would mount the servos in the rear of the fuse. Depending on how much trouble it is to mount the servos in the rear, I may buy the Saito 125 ( I can already hear my wife). It just seems to be much easier with eveything up front. I was also planning on using smoke. I've never tried it before and this bird looks like the build to give it a try.
BTW nice bird.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:34 AM
tuwood

ORIGINAL: maekju

ysrcflyer,

I have a old YS 120SC I was planning on using in my Uliti. From reading this thread a lot of guys are going with the Saito 125 because of the light weight. Were did you mount your servos for the elevator and rudder? When I bought this kit many years ago, seemed like the YS was the way to go and to offset the weight people would mount the servos in the rear of the fuse. Depending on how much trouble it is to mount the servos in the rear, I may buy the Saito 125 ( I can already hear my wife). It just seems to be much easier with eveything up front. I was also planning on using smoke. I've never tried it before and this bird looks like the build to give it a try.
BTW nice bird.
The 1.25 brings the overall weight of the Ultie down, but it does make the nose a little light. I had to put the battery under the tank with all the servo's in the belly to balance it.
I think the YS would probably be perfect if you want the servo's in the tail for the elevators.

On the one I'm building now I will be putting the elevator servo's in the tail but I'm hoping that with dual batteries planted on the firewall & the usage of CF/titanium pushrod's It'll come close to balancing.

I may slide the motor a little further forward too to help with the balance.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:19 AM
ysrcflyer

maekju: If you look in my first pic you can see the elevator and rudder servos mounted under rear wing support. I had to add 3oz of weight to tail to get it to balance in the center of rec. C/G. This was my first attempt at smoke.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:26 AM
ysrcflyer

Here is some video of the smoke.
http://media.putfile.com/Smoke-On-61
Old 06-08-2006, 12:30 PM
maekju

YS

After taking a closer look, I can see the servos. I bet all the smoke goodies up front contributed to the extra weight in the tail. Be sure to take some vid's of her flying. I would like to see the smoke in operation.

tuwood

I've read your whole build from the first Ultie to the new one you're building now. I can't wait to get out of here and back on the building board to try out some of the ideas on my Ultie I've picked up. I'm sure by that time you'll have completed your second Ultie. I already have a Slimline smoke muffler for the YS. Instead of buying a new engine, I could use those funds to put the extra goodies in my Ultie (the wife still won't be happy).
Happy building / flying.
maekju
Old 06-08-2006, 01:23 PM
R/C Lee

All of you who are building an Ultimate might want to look at my post "Tail Bracing" under the Sport Flying forum. I'm using Kevlar tail bracing on my new Ultimate; should have used it on the Sukhoi . Lee
Old 08-15-2006, 06:00 PM
ericjon

Hello

New to this forum ... incredible! Started building the ultimate last december ... then life got in the way. Since then I have found this forum and I have been sifting through this thread for any nuggets that I might apply to my build.

I have an extra 300 airframe complete and I started the ultimate last november, the airframe is complete to the point of installing the flight controls surfaces.

I have an OS .91 surpass and futaba T6EXAP with standard digital servos. Planning to use 2 on the aileron, 2 for the elevators and 1 on the rudder. I have the standard rec batt pack think it is 800mah. From what I have read I gather that should be in the 1500 range?

For basic aerobatic work is this setup satisfactory? Not looking for 3D aerobatics, just looking to learn solid basic aerobatic skills and build a good clean airplane. Got to admit reading through this thread I get a little lost when it comes to all the different equipment and setups.

Any comments tips or direction to a thread that will help would be appreciated.

ej
Old 08-15-2006, 07:14 PM
jb86
My Feedback: (8)

use a high torque on the rudder, can't have too much torque for knife edge. minimum 90 oz., better is 120 oz. the standards are fine for dual aileron servos and dual elev. servos. i would use about 1000 mah (or more), with 6 servos.
jon b
Old 08-15-2006, 08:04 PM
ericjon

Thank you Jon ... I'll up the rudder servo and battery.

I still have to decide on control linkages and hinge type.

EJ
Old 08-15-2006, 08:31 PM
RVM

Central Hobbies has about the best control linkage setups you could hope for. I would recommend Robart Hinge Points for your hinges.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:09 PM
R/C Lee

Since I forgot that biplanes need to be flown down to a landing, I discovered that the Ultimate has a weak spot on the fuselage. When building, be sure to put in some triangle stock in front of and behind the aft wing blocks that hold the wing attach bolts. I have found that a hard landing may "tweak" the lower wing putting a lot of stress on the lite ply fuselage sides which, in my case, has caused a break in the lite ply sides. I wound up using an epoxied angle made up from aluminum to support the wing block, but I think some large triangle stock epoxied in place during construction would do the job. Also, I used a Stan's Fiberglass aluminum landing gear which seems to like to spread a little on a "hard" landing. If I built another one, I would go with a carbon fibre gear which would take the shock, yet not splay as the aluminum one does. I know, I shouldn't be landing that hard, but sometimes, the thinner air at 3500 feet gets the best of me []. Lee
Old 08-24-2006, 04:55 PM
R/C Lee

Looking for a carbon fibre landing gear that will fit the Goldberg Ultimate. I purchased the aluminum gear from Stan's with my cowl and find it to be too soft, certainly softer than dural lg I have purchased in the past. I sent an e-mail to the person listed here in the forum, but am looking for another source. Any ideas? Thanks, Lee
Old 11-19-2006, 01:12 PM
HowardT

i read with interest the build, maiden flight and most unfortunate demise of your CG Ultimate. Have you re-built it yet? I also have one of these with a laser 150 on a 16x8 and have increased all the throws by 100% - nice flyer. Heres a piccy, yes i live in the uk but it has stars and stripes on it:-)
Old 11-21-2006, 12:46 PM
thanosg2004

Hello everyone,
I've just ordered my ultimate and this forum will help me a lot during the construction.
My set up will be :

OS120 4stroke pump
Dual aileron servos
Dual elevator servos
Pull-pull rudder.

I have 3 questions and I need your help:

1. What kind of servos do I have to use for the above set up ? ( digital - normal and how much torgue )
2. Do you think that a slimline pitts muffler ( for 4 stroke engine ) will fit in the cowl ? ( not the stock cowl I will order one from Stans fibertech or fiberglassspecialties.com)
3. How will the model balance with this set up ?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Thanos.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:26 PM
R/C Lee

thanosg2004, I think you will be very happy with your Ultimate, and I am glad that you will follow the improvements noted in this forum. For mine, I am using a Saito 125, but since we fly at 3500 feet, I'm not happy with the vertical performance with this engine. So, I just received a new cowl from Fiberglass Specialties and will cut it out for my SuperTigre 3250. That should make a difference! A few weeks ago, I had a flameout on takeoff with the Saito, and had to put it into the weeds beyond the field. I'm glad that I beefed up a few areas, because the damage was minimal. Something you might want to change is the cabane struts. Mine bent significantly on the forced landing, and if I had it to do over again, I would bend some new ones out of a better/thicker grade of steel. The ones supplied are a weak point, in my estimation. Also, be sure to beef up the landing gear mount and use aircraft grade plywood instead of the bass wood supplied in the kit. I mounted my landing gear with three nylon 1/4 inch bolts and the bolts sheared, taking up much of the energy in the forced landing, but saving the airframe. I use digital servos (HiTec 5625MGs) on all surfaces, four on the ailerons, two on the elevator (mixed together), and one on rudder with a pull-pull system. Also went with 6 volt 2200 maH battery for the extra torque and extra draw from the digital servos. I used Central Hobbies CF pushrods (4-40 ends) on elevators, with the servos forward. Be sure to install hard points on the stabilizer and fin so you can install tail bracing ( I used Sullivan CF for tail bracing on mine and it does an excellent job.) For my SuperTigre, I will use a Slimline sized to the engine. On first flights, be sure to balance it at or ahead of the balance point shown on the plans. You can move the balance point aft as you become familiar with the airplane.

By the way, if anyone is interested in an excellent carbon fibre landing gear, contact Ken McCaughin at [email protected]. I replaced my aluminum gear that I got from Stan's Fibertech with the CF gear and it is significantly better.

Good luck with your project and be sure to keep us up to date on your build.

Lee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.