Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Anyone built a GP Giles 202 .46?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Anyone built a GP Giles 202 .46?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 04:54 PM
ravenatnm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone built a GP Giles 202 .46?

What weight did yours come out to? I built one about 5 years ago (when I was new as a second plane) that I haven't liked flying, because it was far to much airplane for me. Now that I am far more experienced I have dusted it off. I have a OS .61FX in it with a pitts slimline muffler. It wieghs 8.8 lbs dry. The wing loading comes out to 30.72 ounces/Sq foot which is very high.
I saw on the great planes website that the wieght should be 6-7 lbs. Is that without an engine or radio components? I have only built 2 kits on my own so maybe I am building heavy, but they are all built per the instructions, nothing extra. Why is mine so much heavier than their 6-7 lbs? What have yours come out to? I am trying to figure out if I added any lead, but I cannot see any. I certainly wouldn't have added a lot.

Old 05-31-2006, 06:54 PM
ravenatnm

Default RE: Anyone built a GP Giles 202 .46?

I just took it completely apart. There is no lead in the airplane. I think the only thing I could really do to lighten it up is to replace the engine with a 46 which wouldn't really help the wieght much.

61Fx wieghs: 19.4 oz.
46FX wieghs: 13.2 oz.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:51 AM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

Lots of good threads on this airplane. Try this one:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_34...r/tm.htm#34684

We talk about weight as well as other things like engine size.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:14 PM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spare yourself the grief and get rid of it. I sold mine (91FS power) after 20 nhappy flights.....

IMO, in that size range the GP Extra 300S is a much better option.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

7 lbs using a 91 YS FZ ,maybe you got a heavy kit to start with ?????
The covering and glue used has a lot to do with a planes weight .Epoxy is heavy.
As far as flying I think its going on 3 yrs now and flies very well, no tip stall on landings ,but it will snap out if your going slow and add full up elevator.
I don't recommend this plane as a second plane 4th 5th maybe is dosent take much control and a person can get in trouble very easy ,I know my buddy let my first one get away and rekitted it for me.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:10 AM
ravenatnm

I did take it apart and found 4 ounces of lead in the tail. sure how to get this out since it is epoxied in and is actually glued to where the tail stab goes through the fuse (directly above where the rudder servo is mounted). I am also using a 3" aluminum spinner which adds some wieght. Maybe it would fly nicer if I could remove the lead, replace the aluminum spinner with a plastic job, and move the battery back. That would probably take it down to 8.2 lbs or so.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:09 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I never cared to much for mine. Nice building kit though. I used an O.S. .91 fourstroke, had to put just about everything in the tail to get it to balance, and it was a snap happy mother. I can't remember the final weight, but I remember it being somewhere around 7 lbs, yours definately sounds heavy.

Eventually midaired a poor kids trainer with it, and sold the motor to a friend who put it in an autogyro.

I don't miss the plane.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:18 AM
flyrc78
My Feedback: (29)

I have one, it was the third plane i built and flew. I had magnum 91fs for power in mine, and it would hover. Not sure what the weight is, but it is probably about 7lbs. Aluminum spinner, and about an ounce of tail weight. Mine flies awsome, been going for 4 years now. I replaced the 91 this winter with a Saito 100 and recovered it also. And yes, watch for the snap if you slow it to much, but it recovers fairly easily from it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53520.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	470943