Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

What exactly is Silkspan?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

What exactly is Silkspan?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 04:50 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What exactly is Silkspan?

I'm repairing an old plane after the wings snapped, (Sig Liberty Sport) and the original instructions say "The model should be covered with silk, or other cloth material, rather than Silkspan, due to the large, unplanked area. After final sanding of the finished framework, give it two cots of dope wherever you want the silk to adhere to the framework." Well, on this particular model I recovered the wings with 21st Century fabric. The kit is from the 70's or earlier. Is silkspan something weaker than modern iron-on coverings? I have no idea how to do this silk and dope thing they're speaking of.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:13 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What exactly is Silkspan?

Silkspan is basically a heavy tissue paper. It is thicker and stronger (and heavier) than Japanese tissue, but has little puncture and tear resistance. The 21st Century fabric is a decent replacement for the silk/dope it originally called for, except it will probably be a bit heavier.

Mark
Old 09-06-2006, 06:01 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark, my memory of silkspan is different than yours. It was a very tough paper, similuar to the white mailing envlopes that you can't tear, but a slightly lighter weight. Maybe they made different grades of it????? It has been quite a while since I used it.

Don
Old 09-06-2006, 06:36 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Silkspan was manufactured in different basis weights. It was actually a heavy duty tissue with random fibers impregnated to give extra strength. It does puncture easily, but then so does mylar (iron on plastics) Silkspan does require application with dope, and can become fairly heavy with adequate applications of dope to achieve a shiny finish. The material is fairly, "Thirsty". I think that you will be happy with your choice of the 21st Century fabric.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 09-06-2006, 07:09 PM
Chevelle

Silkspan is (was?) indeed a tissue paper like covering. It was a lighter replacement for silk and other cloth covering but it also had less strength. It was (is) the covering provided in kits like the Gillows, Sterling and other glider, freeflight, and rubber powered models. These are the reasons why the original instructions warn you away from it. You need a stronger material.

If you want to go with a dope style covering, consider Sig Koverall. If you want to avoid the hassle of dope but do want to paint it, I would highly recommend natural SolarTex. (I am using natural SolarTex for my 1/4 scale Triplane.) It can be purchased at www.BalsaUSA.com The colored SolarTex or 21st Century products are also great. I have used them as well.

Good luck.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:09 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Silkspan is the very same material that tea bags are made out of. The quality of the product hsa slipped in the last decade and it isn't quite a good as it once was. The best substitute for silkspan is Polyspan which is a polyester product that is as thin as silkspan and is applied like s.p. but you use no water. Pull it reasonably tight and then shrink the rest of the way. This product is sold through model research http://www.modelresearchlabs.com/
These people sell some interesting products and really are somewhat unknown by the RC community but are well known by the FF & C/l community
Old 09-06-2006, 08:30 PM
Tommygun

Okay, so basically it's a step up from the peanut scale model's covering material, makes sense. I had the wings snap when they were covered with the 21st century stuff, so I wasn't sure if this covering lacks tensile strengh or not. But after splicing in spruce spars and fiberglassing the center sections, I'll give it another shot.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:37 PM
john_s3
My Feedback: (1)

Boy This Brings Me BackTo Jr Hi. Slik,Dope And Spray Bottles. Thous Were The Days.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:13 AM
mcarleno

Silkspan: Tissue paper of varing weights impregnated with Silk fibers for good tension strength for lightness. Silkspan works exceptionally on small models where wieght is a significant consideration. Silkspan required must less dope to seal and finish than silk. Silkspan is also very sandable and when applied to the fuselage can produce a very impressive finish without using micro-ballons or filler thus lightening even more.

Silkspan is still quite available and ideal for small glow aircraft; however, it will puncture very very easy, so aircraft such as wheelless parkflyers and the like that are electric, there are much better options.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXR759&P=0
Old 09-09-2006, 05:42 AM
Slowjohn

Remember the tissue that came with leather shoes? Especially womens and mens dress shoes. That's what I used some 40 years ago. It was free for the asking at any store that sold shoes. Yes, Those were the Days! It's a wonder some of us have any memory from the dope fumes.

Slowjohn
Old 09-09-2006, 06:13 AM
Chevelle

And those days aren't over for me yet. I have a Sterling Fokker Triplane that I've started. (Have to finish the 1/4 scale version first!) And a Sterling Jenny in the box.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:33 AM
IronCross

ORIGINAL: Slowjohn

Remember the tissue that came with leather shoes? Especially womens and mens dress shoes. That's what I used some 40 years ago. It was free for the asking at any store that sold shoes. Yes, Those were the Days! It's a wonder some of us have any memory from the dope fumes.

Slowjohn
Those fumes have anything to do with your handle ?
Dope and Ambroid glue fumes... Didn't get any better
Old 09-09-2006, 10:07 AM
Slowjohn

Howdy IronCross,
Depends on who you'd ask. The first time my mother walked into my bedroom where I was closed up and painting... That's when I was given a spot to work in out in the garage with Dad's ' 40 Ford Deluxe Coupe. The wife seems to think I'm still lost in the ' 60's[8D] but now she knows the truth.
Actually "Slowjohn" is due to a medical condition and why I'm back into RC after a 28 yr. break for life. I started back flying about 18 months ago after being declared disabled 3 yrs. ago. I needed something to occupy my time and well... I could hardly believe the changes in the hobby. What was cutting edge stuff back then is now of course called "Vintage". Made me feel the years even more.

Slowjohn

If I'd of known I'd live this long, I'd of taken better care of myself but I had fun getting here, I think?[sm=72_72.gif]
Old 09-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Slowjohn

Howdy IronCross,
Depends on who you'd ask. The first time my mother walked into my bedroom where I was closed up and painting... That's when I was given a spot to work in out in the garage with Dad's ' 40 Ford Deluxe Coupe. The wife seems to think I'm still lost in the ' 60's[8D] but now she knows the truth.
Actually "Slowjohn" is due to a medical condition and why I'm back into RC after a 28 yr. break for life. I started back flying about 18 months ago after being declared disabled 3 yrs. ago. I needed something to occupy my time and well... I could hardly believe the changes in the hobby. What was cutting edge stuff back then is now of course called "Vintage". Made me feel the years even more.

Slowjohn

If I'd of known I'd live this long, I'd of taken better care of myself but I had fun getting here, I think?[sm=72_72.gif]