Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

RV-4 - about to start

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

RV-4 - about to start

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 03:54 AM
beardking
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RV-4 - about to start

Hi guys. I'm about to start building a GP RV-4 and I wanted to check with everyone on here to see if anyone had any particular mods or mistakes that I should look out for. This is going to be the 4th plane that I've built in under a year, so I've got a bit of experience, so lay it on me. If you go over my head I'll just whine a little bit for more information.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:05 AM
G Watson

Default RV - 4

Beardking,

I am currently building the real full size RV-4. Been at it many years.

I also have the GP kit. I have looked at it but not started it yet.

To me it looks very straight forward. I would build it just as it is.

You probably do not need the flaps if you do not want them.

I have flown the full size RV-3 and it lands very well with or without the flaps.

Wow - four airplanes in one year. Wish I could do that !!

Good Luck
Old 02-11-2003, 01:52 PM
beardking

Yeah, I have a most understanding wife. ;-)

I think I'll probably do the flaps just because I like having all the little toys I can on my planes. ;-)
Old 02-11-2003, 01:53 PM
beardking

Yeah, I have a most understanding wife. ;-)

I think I'll probably do the flaps just because I like having all the little toys I can on my planes. ;-)

Oh, and how is the building on the full size version going? I wish I had the money to build one of those. Although, I think I'd do the RV-6 because of the side by side configuration.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:43 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I built one of those...in fact I still have it :-)....used OS .52 and FLAPS - hey, they are fun with this plane!

Plane flys ROCK stable - very scale-like with the .52FS....only complaints I have is the wing's center section procedure - takes longer to do that than build the rest of the wing <g>

Jerry
Old 02-20-2003, 08:15 PM
privatepilot
My Feedback: (1)

Default GP RV-4

I'm just finishing mine up now. I'm putting it on floats. It will have the fixed gear too, just take a few screws out and mount the floats or vise versa. The only mistakes that I made was with the top fuse piece and the forward most lower fuse piece. I wasn't paying attention when I glued them in place, but they are both cut at the thrust angle that is built into the front of the plane. Needless to say, I managed to glue them both in upside down, so I had to cut and paste new pieces in the front. It's been a while since I built a plane, so I guess I'm allowed to make a mistake.. =) Other than that, everything builds pretty straight forward. Do youself a favor and pre-shape the 2 big blocks that get glued to the fuse that form the fillet between the vert fin and horiz. stab. I didn't and it took quite a while with 60 grit to get them close.
I built it with the flap option. Take some time to work with the wing tips. I hate plastic wing tips. I should have just gone to the LHS and bought a chuck of balsa and made my own wing tips.

The only other mods are a larger fuel tank and I'm putting a .80 4 stroke on it.
It's being covered now and I hope to be ready to fly it in the next week.
chad
Old 02-22-2003, 09:02 PM
nvr2muchrc

Default rv-4 construction

Hello everyone, I am almost finished with my gp rv-4 on the whole I have been impressed with this kit. My kit did however; have a few parts where the die cutting was not very good, and the cowling cut lines are not very good I also think that the wings center section is a tad bit more involved than it needs to be. I am going to put an os 46 fx with on board ignition on mine and the flaps are going to be installed.

I am debating on the idea of fiberglassing the plane but I am not sure about this do you have any ideas or suggestions on this.
Old 02-22-2003, 09:11 PM
privatepilot

From what I've read about fiberglassing, it adds quite a bit of weight to the finished plane. I'm not sure off the top of my head what the wing loading is on the RV-4, but you will most definitely change it by 'glassing the airframe. I'm in the process of covering mine right now. If you do enough sanding, it actually covers pretty well. You can see the ribs on mine, but just barely.
chad
Old 02-22-2003, 09:23 PM
nvr2muchrc

Default rv-4

thats what I have been told by others as well, my trouble is I have a hard time covering, I will just practice on my other planes. I don't want to mess up this one before I get it airborne.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:31 PM
privatepilot

Just keep in mind that even an "ok" covering job looks great from 5' away, and even better in the air. =)
Old 02-25-2003, 11:08 PM
doenges

Default Cowling and other wheel pants

I chickened out and bought a fiberglass cowling and wheelpants. Figured it was well worth the cost and will end up looking a lot better. Got them from Fiberglass specialties.

The cut lines on the halves provided with the kit were not clearly defined and I am sure that I would end up with about 10 pounds of Bondo on it.

Getting ready to cover it now.

Dan
Old 02-26-2003, 01:34 AM
nvr2muchrc

Default fiberglass cowl

what is the address or the contact info for the place where you got the fiberglass cowl and wheel pants from?

thanks
Old 02-26-2003, 04:04 AM
doenges

Default Fiberglass spec

I got the both the pants and the cowling (the also offer the wingtips) from Fiberglass Specialties [email them at [email protected]]. You can also find them on the web at www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com. Sounds like after they receive the order they make the items. Took about 10 days to get the items.

The cowl comes as one piece and so do the pants. You will need to "cut" the hole in the cowl for you engine, exhaust, and air intake. I used a dremel tool with a water drop shaped grinding stone. Turned out really nice.

Further more, I got these instructions from them:
Steps
1 Sand any seams down with 150 grit.
2 Any filling required I use Bondo let sit for 20-30 minuets
3 sand with 150 grit.
4 ruff all surfaces with 320 grit
5 before painting wipe with any type of alcohol do not touch with hands after that
6 If you want prime with white primer
7 mist with paint and cover about 50% wait 30 seconds
8 mist again now it is covered 75% of more wait again 30 seconds
9 the reason for misting is so that now for the final coat of paint has something
to grab onto and should not fish eye.

Dan
Old 02-26-2003, 09:09 PM
nvr2muchrc

Default rv4 cowl

thanks for the info I am going to order the wheel pants and the cowl for mine also