Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Ca Glue On Monokote (removing)

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Ca Glue On Monokote (removing)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 06:12 AM
lonvis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ca Glue On Monokote (removing)

While attaching my ailerons I got some CA on the monokote (chrome) , not bad but I don't like it. Is this a good lesson or is there something that will remove it. I tried ironx, lacure thinner, fingernail polish remover, didn't touch it!! See Ya Thanks!
Old 03-19-2003, 06:18 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy some CA de-bonder. It is the only thing I have found that un-glues the stuff. I don't know if it works if the glue has set up for a long time, though. It's great to have on hand when you glue your fingers together, too.

Pilgrim
Old 03-19-2003, 06:18 AM
CafeenMan

Use straight acetone with a cloth rag. It takes a while to soften so you'll have to rub it a bit before it comes off.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:58 PM
jetranger-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default glue

The best i have found is GP's debonder it works better than all the rest, even on glue that is old. Just put it on and let it soak,wipe off with tissue that has some debonder on it. Do this untill it all comes off may take 15-30 minutes of work depends on how much and how old
Old 03-19-2003, 04:51 PM
nbcguy

Acetone should do the trick. It has to be the same thing as debonder.

Just like Hobbico after run oil looks and smells just like Marvels Mystery Oil...
Old 03-19-2003, 05:56 PM
CafeenMan

nbcguy - I think debonder is nitro-methane. I know it's not acetone.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:38 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CA on my eyeglasses

I got some CA on my right eyeglass lens one time. My neighbor was my optician, I asked him to order a new lens (plastic lenses).

He said "No, no, here, let's just wipe it off with acetone." Worked like a charm.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 03-19-2003, 06:40 PM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Most debonders on the market today are either made from nitromethane or acetone. Many times, the debonders are a blend of both of these solvents. These blends seem to work better for removing cured CA from skin and they are the safest two solvents to use topically for this purpose in small amounts. Nitro always sounds nasty and it is, but only if you try and compress the liquid. Other than that, it is not volatile, practically non-toxic, and with a flash point of98°F is not dangerous to have around the shop. There is another solvent that dissolves cured CA that some manufacturers use and that is Acetonitrile. You will see it labeled sometimes as "Safe water-based chemistry." It most certainly is not. Acetonitrile is better known as methyl cyanide. If ingested, this chemical can easily kill you.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:38 PM
lonvis

Thanks everyone I found some acetone at my local hardware store and it did remove it. I feel better now. Next is the good part to SEE IT FLY!!!!!!!! GP ulimate bipe - ST .51 Thanks Again!!!!!!!!!