Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite P-51D 1/7 scale retracts?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite P-51D 1/7 scale retracts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:30 PM
zach-133

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite P-51D 1/7 scale retracts?

hello, i am building a p-51 at 1/7 scale and i am in need of help for finding retracts.

i would like for them to look as scale as possible...but not put a very large dent in the wallet

i was looking at the robart 605 set, but im not sure.

all help is appreciated =]

***---EDIT---***

i am really looking into the century jet model

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXA798&P=7

or the robart with the struts

http://www.robart.com/retracts/5-10lbPneu.aspx (very top one)

and replacinbg the wires with these:

http://www.robart.com/RoboStruts/380_series.aspx

the only problem with the century jet model is im not sure if its the right size.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:55 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite P-51D 1/7 scale retracts?

Here's what I am planning on using in my TF P-51B. For the retract, the all metal Robart 531 RS, and the 663 L/R offset struts. Wheels, I haven't decided. If I go with off the shelf, I'll probably choose the Dave Brown wheels for their lightweight, btu they're not the most scale. I may try making my own.
In the photo, the strut is not yet cut to proper length.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93070.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	785142  
Old 10-17-2007, 10:02 PM
zach-133

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

saramos,

that helps, i think i may have just made my decision

i did not know that you can cut the strut so that alone helped me out alot.

those wheels in the picture look good enough to me, and since the rims appear to come off, nothing some silver paint cant help[>:]

thanks, hope your build goes well.

are you planning on dumping the bell crank set up in the wing and using dual aieleron servo's?
Old 10-18-2007, 01:00 AM
saramos

The wheels in the photo are Robarts. They look pretty good and can be dressed up to look better. The problem is, they weigh a ton. The Dave Brown wheels are about half the weight, but don't look as good. Also, they're made from a soft foam and if you leave your plane standing on them, they develope soft spots.

I do have to give you a heads up about the 531RS retracts. They are low profile which should help get them installed in the wing such that the wheel and strut should rectract deep enough to allow for gear doors. But, in order for them to be such a low profile, the air cylinder points away from the gear. This means that you will need to cut away more of rib W5 and possibly W6. I would recommend adding some carbon fiber in the area to re-strenthen the wing. Perhaps a carbon rod along the leading edge and maybe extending the rail mounts out to W6.

Scott
Old 10-18-2007, 01:12 AM
saramos

Oh, I'm also making another modification with the retracts. This is totally experimental and may carry some risk. The mod will probably void any warranty, and it may increase the possiblility of damage on landingso be forewarned.

I want to improve the stance of the plane when on the ground. If I simply cut the struts so the plane sits at the proper height, when the wheels retract, they will be too short to retract into the scale wheel well location. If I simply cut the struts so the wheels retract into the proper wheel well location, then the plane will sit too tall when on the ground. This is because on the full scale plane, the retract compresses significantly when sitting on the ground, but extends once airborne. To solve this, I disassembled the strut by removing the c-clip and pin from the scissor, then the strut will come apart. I then shortened the stock spring inside the strut, and added a second spring which will compress under the weight of the model, but extend when airborne. The amount I cut off and the spring I added is a compromise. The plane will still be a little taller than scale, but better.

Scott