Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SIG 2Piece Cowl Installation

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SIG 2Piece Cowl Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 01:02 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SIG 2Piece Cowl Installation

I am using a SIG Smith Miniplane 2 piece cowl on a current project. I have no experience with assembling cowls. Can someone give me a quick overview of the official SIG assembly approach? Yes, I have done some research on best practices when assembling ABS cowls, just need to know how SIG thinks it should be done.

TIA,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79073.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	895541  
Old 03-05-2008, 04:43 PM
chutt
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SIG 2Piece Cowl Installation

Buy a fiberglass one... is much more strong and easy!!
On my TF Cessna Skylane I bought a fiberglass cowl...

Cheers,

Andre.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:51 PM
outdoorhunting

Ditto, chutt. www.fiberglassspecialties.com Just go fiberglass, stronger, easier to work with & the finished product looks 10 times better Good Luck
Old 03-05-2008, 05:05 PM
CustomPC

That Link should be:

http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com
Old 03-05-2008, 05:05 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: SeamusG

I am using a SIG Smith Miniplane 2 piece cowl on a current project. I have no experience with assembling cowls. Can someone give me a quick overview of the official SIG assembly approach? Yes, I have done some research on best practices when assembling ABS cowls, just need to know how SIG thinks it should be done.

TIA,
I had to build one recently and I used CA glue. Also used pieces of the molding to install on the inside surface of the seams to reinforce them. The CA seemed to almost melt the plastic a little which yielded a very solid bond. Smoothed over edges with microballoons. Had to do some wet sanding to get a good paint finish but the finished result looks nice I think.

somegeek
Old 03-05-2008, 05:52 PM
DaveB

The previous post regarding assembling an ABS cowl using CA is IMO the best way to assemble it. For me, I find that "Squadron Putty" does a good job on filling cracks, dent, etc. in preparation for painting. On the other hand, ABS cowls seem to have a relatively short life, ergo the advice offered to purchase an after market fiber glass cowl is sound. My advice; assemble and finish the ABS cowl as described and use it until it's toast (which probably won't be too long). Meanwhile, also purchase the fiber glass cowl and finish it as a replacement.

DaveB
Old 03-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

I use some tape to hold the cowl in the correct alignment, then add 4 or 5 SMALL DROPS of THIN CA to the inside of the cowl. After that has dried I take some 1" wide strips of 2 oz fiberglass cloth, lay them over the seams and glue them in position with thin CA. I also CA a strip of fiberglass to the inside of the outer edge as re-enforcement for the screw holes.

A tip for you..... Take the scrap pieces of the ABS cowl and cut them into small pieces (about 1/4" square). Put the pieces in a small jar with a SMALL AMOUNT of acetone and let them disolve into a thick "slurry"/paste. Use the slurry to fill the seam on the outside of the cowl, Your fill will be colored matched to the cowl, and if you work carefully, there will be almost no sanding involved
Old 03-05-2008, 06:38 PM
outdoorhunting

OOPS!!
Old 03-05-2008, 06:44 PM
alpinestar

I built one of these planes years ago & used a 70 surpass in it.. I kept the cowl in two peices & used some plywood strips & screws to hold the two halves together. Made for a more convenient means of removing the cowl to access the engine.
Cheers
Old 03-05-2008, 06:52 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

For Sig's plastic parts i have always used modeling plastic cement. This will hold pretty well and then i will reinforce the joint on the inside with some CA. I have used the plastic cement as filler before, but i discovered that epoxy with a bunch of micro balloons (or baby powder in my case) does a dang good job.

Then if you do some good prep work before painting, you will never see the joint and it will look as good as any fiberglass cowl.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:04 PM
SeamusG

Thanks to all for prompt responses.

Bob Nelson of SIG Mfg responded:

Trim the edges to get the width that you need. Glue the strip to the inside of the seam on one side of the cowl allowing about 1/2 of the strip to protrude out. This creates a ledge to support the other half during and after the joining process. You can use acetone to chemically weld these joints or medium CA. When the strip is glued in and the glue has cured, tape the other half over this flange and finish the glue joint from the inside. Since CA cures into acrylic plastic, it can be used as a filler to blend the outside seam. When satisfied with the joining, sand the shine of the plastic, wash the outside thoroughly, prime and paint.
Knowledge is truly a dangerous thing [:-]
Old 03-06-2008, 09:54 AM
r2champion

Just a thought about ABS vs. Fiberglass cowls, what would be wrong with putting your ABS cowl together and putting a layer of fiberglass covering the entire inside? Wouldn't this give the strength and rigidity of a fiberglass cowl, or atleast stronger than just ABS? There would be an increase in overall weight, but from my experience, and ABS cowl is lighter than a fiberglass cowl to begin with right? I have only dealt with a couple of cowls in my builds so far, one fiberglass and one ABS. Therefore I'm lacking the knowledge rule this out as an option. Any thoughts are appreciated!
Old 03-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: r2champion

Just a thought about ABS vs. Fiberglass cowls, what would be wrong with putting your ABS cowl together and putting a layer of fiberglass covering the entire inside? Wouldn't this give the strength and rigidity of a fiberglass cowl, or atleast stronger than just ABS? There would be an increase in overall weight, but from my experience, and ABS cowl is lighter than a fiberglass cowl to begin with right? I have only dealt with a couple of cowls in my builds so far, one fiberglass and one ABS. Therefore I'm lacking the knowledge rule this out as an option. Any thoughts are appreciated!
ABS with fiberglass inside will weigh more than fiberglass, but is a good alternative if $$ is tight.