Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

A newbie, thinking of collecting kits through the "hard times"...Just an idea.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

A newbie, thinking of collecting kits through the "hard times"...Just an idea.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 01:04 PM
GrrlsFly!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A newbie, thinking of collecting kits through the "hard times"...Just an idea.

I got into this hobby in Sept.07, and I'm still flying my trainer around, as well as a home built little aerobatic electric foamy.
When I first got into the hobby, I bought a RTF Hobbico Hobbistar. I was horrified at the idea of even having to assemble an ARF, so I went with the RTF. Came with the Futaba TX as well. I was actually horrified at having to put the wings and landing gear together with the RTF Hobbistar. It went ok. I had never even put together a little model as a kid so it was all new.

But I was thinking lately, and I know this might sound a little bizarre, but what if a major depression hits in the US? I was thinking of collecting kits now, in case supply of ARF's diminish, as well as kits. From what I've seen, I have to admit that ARF's rarely look as good to me as kit built planes. They just look more flimsy or something. I figure, I could collect one every 4 months or so, and have a nice collection of stuff that will one day be unobtainable to due the economic situation here.

Anyone else doing this?

For a newbie kit builder with absolutely no experience in modeling, any recommendations on particular manufacterers?

I love scale, and want to get a GeeBee, a crop duster of some type ( I love that Airtruk but I think the person scratch built it?), a Hazal Sig Piper Cub, an Ultrasport, a Predator, a Fokker... And that's all I can think of right now.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:15 PM
meaden

Default RE: A newbie, thinking of collecting kits through the "hard times"...Just an idea.

Collect plans. There aren't many kits out there now that I would want to build.

I've been collecting plans for about 2 years. From .40 size RCM to Ziroli plans. You can cut your own kit from the plan and the wood doesn't sit around rotting, getting chewed up by rodents, or used on a crash repair.

They take up less space too
Old 03-24-2008, 01:20 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: A newbie, thinking of collecting kits through the "hard times"...Just an idea.

Even if a major depression were to hit, it wouldn't diminsh the amount of stuff AVAILABLE to buy - just the amount of people who can afford to BUY them.

But if you're thinking about trying your hand at kit building, I often suggest getting a Sig Wonder. It's a very easy plane to build, yet it will teach you a lot of the techniques that you will need in later building projects. And it's inexpensive enough that if you really screw it up, or decide that kit-building is not your thing, you're not out a whole lot of money.

And if you DO get it built, put a little 10-size engine on it and it is a blast to fly!
Old 03-24-2008, 01:25 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

I been flying models since I was a kid and the current situation is interesting. Each year the price in real dollars goes down and generally the quality goes up. I've built from scratch, from plans, from kits and have assembled ARFs. As the years go by it seems that there are 2 types of out of production kits that bring some money as they age, pattern planes and warbirds. Now as to what may increase in value or not, well I think that's just a guess. After all this is a hobby and if money gets so tight that the manufactures have to pull back on production I bet they begin to flood the market as soon as things improve. One need only look at the price of an off shore produced ARF and an American kit to realise things are a little upside down now. If I were going to buy kits that I hoped were going to be hard to get I'd buy Top Flite warbirds. If they did not or could not ride out a bad economic downturn their kits would sell well due to a well deserved reputation as quality kits. Just my opinion.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:27 PM
GrrlsFly!

Ah, plans. That's a good idea. I hadn't thought about rotting wood or rodents. VERY important factor.

I recently bought plans for a Flying Stop Sign. PInned them to the wall for a week and rolled them right back up and put em back in the tube, 'cause it looked horrific to build. No directions either.

But that's a good idea, to collect plans. I'd have to get over the "It looks way to confusing" hesitation....

Thanks for the suggestion on the Sig Wonder. I'll look into it.

I really do want to try kit building. I know it looks overwelming to me now, but once I get into it I'll probably pick it up.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:31 PM
MinnFlyer

Building from plans is not a good idea for someone with no building experience. There are things you need to know and techniques you need to learn before you should ever attempt to go it on your own.

The nice thing about kits is that they guide you step-by-step through the process, which gives you a much greater chance of success.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:32 PM
meaden

That's the fun part about kits and plans it gives you a chance to be creative and solve problems that make it your own. (The differnce I think your seening in ARFs and kits.)

Don't be intimidated by kits or plans they just take a bit more study and effort. Well worth the time IMHO
Old 03-24-2008, 01:35 PM
meaden

Your right MinnFlyer you should have a kit or two under your belt before a scratch build.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:40 PM
GrrlsFly!

That's what I found with the Flying Stop Sign plans. I was totally lost just looking at them. Didn't know where to start. So I rolled em back up. And that was for a simple foamie stop sign plane. lol.

I checked out that Sig Wonder. Kinda cool. If that's a good kit for a beginner I might just give look into it.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:44 PM
MinnFlyer

One thing to note: The Wonder is more of an advanced plane to FLY, but it's a great first-kit to build.

So keep the engine small (,09 - ,10) and get some help before you try it on your own.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:49 PM
meaden

Sig 4* is another good first kit. Straight forward build. Fun, easy, flyer. Between the instructions and the plans that come with the kit it might get you over the "confusing hesitation."

BTY, I have plans that I'm not willing to tackle any time soon because I know my build skills aren't to that level.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:45 PM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

Man I guess I made a mistake when I started..
I was handed an uncovered wing, a roll of plans for a Fledgling and an OS .35 engine.

Like the others said.. Get a kit or two under your belt before taking on a scratch build.. It'll help..

Sig 4*40 is a great choice for a first build. then maybe take on an the Cub or Ultrasport.. Choice depending on your flying style and skill level.

Good tools may make the difference between a good building experience and a nightmare.

Things I'd have on hand..
a good workbench you can lay the plans out on.
Zona Razor Saw with miter box
pack of 100 #11 blades and 1 or 2 handles.. (funny how they hide when you need them)
2 sanding blocks with 120 and 220 paper.. 120 for big removal and shaping, 220 for cleanup work.
a couple squares
lots of assorted clamps.. I like the little spring clamps in the $1 bucket at home deport and a pair of Irwin mini Quick Grips..
A small assortment of drill bits is always nice. 1/16 through 1/4" will get you through most jobs.
T pins
a building board. (acoustic celing tile from the homse store works great)

I also like to have an HDPE cutting board for drilling and sawing on. Target has them for $3 (the small white plastic ones about 1/4" thick.
Saves abuse on your building board and table.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:03 PM
meaden

ORIGINAL: sscherin

Man I guess I made a mistake when I started..
I was handed an uncovered wing, a roll of plans for a Fledgling and an OS .35 engine.
There's something to be said for being thrown in the deep end! ARF was what my dog said when my Grandpa and I started flying togther
Old 03-24-2008, 03:17 PM
chashint

ORIGINAL: GrrlsFly!

I got into this hobby in Sept.07, and I'm still flying my trainer around, as well as a home built little aerobatic electric foamy.
When I first got into the hobby, I bought a RTF Hobbico Hobbistar. I was horrified at the idea of even having to assemble an ARF, so I went with the RTF. Came with the Futaba TX as well. I was actually horrified at having to put the wings and landing gear together with the RTF Hobbistar. It went ok. I had never even put together a little model as a kid so it was all new.

But I was thinking lately, and I know this might sound a little bizarre, but what if a major depression hits in the US? I was thinking of collecting kits now, in case supply of ARF's diminish, as well as kits. From what I've seen, I have to admit that ARF's rarely look as good to me as kit built planes. They just look more flimsy or something. I figure, I could collect one every 4 months or so, and have a nice collection of stuff that will one day be unobtainable to due the economic situation here.

Anyone else doing this?

For a newbie kit builder with absolutely no experience in modeling, any recommendations on particular manufacterers?

I love scale, and want to get a GeeBee, a crop duster of some type ( I love that Airtruk but I think the person scratch built it?), a Hazal Sig Piper Cub, an Ultrasport, a Predator, a Fokker... And that's all I can think of right now.

I realize that there is a lot of disturbing economic news over the past few months, but hoarding model planes in case of a depression that is serious enough to disrupt the supply lines is taking it to the extremes isn't it ??
Will you also stock up on all of the supplies you will need to actually build and fly them, epoxy, covering material, engines, hinges, horns, electronics, fuel ... the list is almost endless.
Don't get me wrong I am a supporter of kit building and there is nothing wrong with hoarding kits (I have several on standby myself), but if you are planning to build kits to save money in a depression then you are in for a bit of a surprise. It almost always costs more to build a kit than to buy an ARF, and I am referring to the inexpensive mass produced kits from Great Planes, Sig, and Top Flite.
Besides, if a depression really strikes prices will fall dramatically (along with wages), so a better strategy might be to hoard money and buy kits later at reduced prices as others are trying to raise money by selling off non-essential items.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

As I tell anyone wanting a cheap easy to build kit.... Look at the Herr kits on the SIG site. You won't find a better kit for the price of these. Small, easy build and cheap to make flight ready. They have kits for any skill level of pilot.

Building from plans is not impossible for a newbie (easier with RCU help), but someone with no kit experience would get lost in the details and end up with something that may or may not fly in the end. The cost of a kit is well worth the knowledge and experience gained.

As for the "hard times" part of the post, if times get tough financially in my life RC planes are the last thing on my mind. Family first, then RC.... I'd probably end up working so much I would hardly have time to miss it. As for all the recession talk, it is not quite as bad as it is being made out to be by the politicians and media. In a major election year things are always inflated to give them a reason bicker.... Can't we all just get along? The economy moves like a business, you can only grow so big in "X" amount of time before things slow down for a while.

ORIGINAL: chashint

Besides, if a depression really strikes prices will fall dramatically (along with wages), so a better strategy might be to hoard money and buy kits later at reduced prices as others are trying to raise money by selling off non-essential items.
That's the idea! [8D]
Old 03-24-2008, 03:28 PM
meaden

It does cost more to build a kit or from plans in the long run but the pain is stretched out over time.

There are some 1k ARFs I would like to have but that's a mortgage payment! The wife wouldn't go for that.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:31 PM
MinnFlyer

It is true that the Sig 4* is a relatively easy build, AND that it is easier to fly than the "Wonder" that I suggested earlier, but since you were afraid to even glue your ARF wings together, I specifically pointed you to the Wonder for the simple fact that it is a very quick build.

Something like a 4*, even though it is a good build, will take you anywhere from a month to six months to complete.

The Wonder won't take up much room, and will go together in as little as a week. This will let you know right away if you enjoy building.

Nothing worst than deciding you don't enjoy it and then having a big box of sticks clutter up your house.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:50 PM
GrrlsFly!

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

...but since you were afraid to even glue your ARF wings together, I specifically pointed you to the Wonder for the simple fact that it is a very quick build.

Oh no no, it wasn't even an ARF. It was an RTF that I was panicking at the daunting task of assembling. I even required my boyfriend's presense, so he could help me by using those elusive "guy skills". Well I ended up leading him through the assembly process. So I think I might be pretty good at it. I'll try one of the recomended easy builds first.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:56 PM
meaden

LOL!

Those "guy skills" aren't elusive. Some have them some don't.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:59 PM
GrrlsFly!

ORIGINAL: Acs_guitars

As I tell anyone wanting a cheap easy to build kit.... Look at the Herr kits on the SIG site. You won't find a better kit for the price of these. Small, easy build and cheap to make flight ready. They have kits for any skill level of pilot.

Building from plans is not impossible for a newbie (easier with RCU help), but someone with no kit experience would get lost in the details and end up with something that may or may not fly in the end. The cost of a kit is well worth the knowledge and experience gained.

As for the "hard times" part of the post, if times get tough financially in my life RC planes are the last thing on my mind. Family first, then RC.... I'd probably end up working so much I would hardly have time to miss it. As for all the recession talk, it is not quite as bad as it is being made out to be by the politicians and media. In a major election year things are always inflated to give them a reason bicker.... Can't we all just get along? The economy moves like a business, you can only grow so big in "X" amount of time before things slow down for a while.

ORIGINAL: chashint

That's the idea! [8D]

Yeah, I was thinking that the availability of nice kits and ARF's would be dramatically reduced and so the prices would sky-rocket and I wouldn't be able to afford to fly anymore. But I can see what yall are saying; that the prices would actually drop as people are trying to get rid of their stuff....

I'm in a unique position of not owning anything important to lose, no kids, no responsibilities other than my own happiness! [8D] So my thinking was, in a depression, I wouldn't have any money to go out partying with friends and out to dinners like I do now. I'd cut out all luxuries like cable TV and high speed internet. So I'd be sitting around the house a lot (after work that is, assuming I can find a job), and have all the time in the world to build awesome planes from kits. A bunch of hoarded kits, a couple containers of wood glue, all the tools in the garage, and voila! Endless Neo-Depression-Era fun. I'd just put in the servos/batteries/receivers/engines when things got more lucrative.

Just trying to plan in advance.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Flying Foot Doc
My Feedback: (2)

Get a Balsl USA 40 stick Plus. It will teach you building, covering, flying and repairing. Great trainer in all respects. Just get something and keep going. Doc
Old 03-25-2008, 01:09 AM
JamesDL

There probably won't be a recession anyway, and if there is, it is probably halfway over already and we won't know it for another quarter. My opinion is that the big kit manufacturers (Sig, GP, a few others) will always be around. The little guys will either be bought up by the big guys or go out of business.

When I move into my new house this summer, I'm going to put a scroll saw in my basement and attempt to build something from plans. Haven't figured out what yet, but I want something that will make all the ARF flyers drool

James
Old 03-25-2008, 09:07 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What I have seen over the years is the kit makers have all been going to the ARFs and quit making kits at all. If you see something that you really like then by all means buy it and keep it, in A few years it may be gone and/or turned into an ARF.
I drug my feet when I really wanted the giant Aeromaster kit. It was 200 beans and I just couldn't turn loose with that kind of money for A kit. Then it was no longer produced, now it's an ARF. Still A nice plane but I really wanted to build one.
Any of the bigger War Birds would be my choice for kit hoarding plus the nice 60 sized Goldburg kits. I love building and flying there Extra and Sukhoi.
I have been picking up kits at auctions for almost nothing but I can't keep my hands off of them and they get built quickly.
Just collecting kits can be fun and if you decide to ever build them then you have what you want.
It's also nice to see A young woman getting into the hobby. Stay with it!!
Old 03-25-2008, 03:15 PM
chashint

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

What I have seen over the years is the kit makers have all been going to the ARFs and quit making kits at all. If you see something that you really like then by all means buy it and keep it, in A few years it may be gone and/or turned into an ARF.
I drug my feet when I really wanted the giant Aeromaster kit. It was 200 beans and I just couldn't turn loose with that kind of money for A kit. Then it was no longer produced, now it's an ARF. Still A nice plane but I really wanted to build one.
Any of the bigger War Birds would be my choice for kit hoarding plus the nice 60 sized Goldburg kits. I love building and flying there Extra and Sukhoi.
I have been picking up kits at auctions for almost nothing but I can't keep my hands off of them and they get built quickly.
Just collecting kits can be fun and if you decide to ever build them then you have what you want.
It's also nice to see A young woman getting into the hobby. Stay with it!!
I have drug my feet too and have seen many kits that that were on the someday list go away.
As I said before, I am in favor of hoarding kits, but not because of the economic outlook.
I agree that it is nice to see a young person getting into model building too.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:27 PM
GrrlsFly!

What about the Hazel Sig Piper Cub kit? She's my personal hero, afterall. Plus, that's by far the prettiest cub. [8D]

Is that a hard kit to build? I'd have to cover it in fabric.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.