Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

What type of scale to buy?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

What type of scale to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 07:35 AM
ppkk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of scale to buy?

Hi folks,

I have built two kits up to now (actually just finishing the second one which is a 4* sixty), and lets just say that so far I have emphasized more on "strength" rather than "weight". As I move to my next project however, I would like to try and build models that are lighter so I was thinking of buying a scale.

Doing a quick search on line, I found a large variety costing anywhere from $25 up - but at that price I would question the accuracy. Obviously extreme precision is not required for my purposes, but I also don't want something that is too far off the mark. The other question is, what scale capacity should I get: a scale rated for a max. weight of 75 lb. is prabably not very precise at the lower end of the range, and a scale rated for 10 lb. is probably going to be too small for some project down the road.

I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:10 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What type of scale to buy?

Two kinds of scale are useful. The first, and more important, is a digital scale to weight components and materials as you make them. I have one that reads out in 0.5g. Think of this kind of scale as your "reality check" while you're building. Second, you need a way to weigh your finished model. But really at this point, if it's too heavy what are you going to do about it? So don't worry about this end so much. Anyway, for most normal sized models all you need is a cheap fishing scale that you can suspend somewhere. Most are accurate to within half a pound and that's all that matters for an "all up" weight.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:13 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have an electronic balance that I got for free when it was pitched out at work because it would not calibrate. Beyond that it works just fine. It has a maximum capacity of 3000 grams (about 6.6 pounds). Although I cannot weigh complete airplanes I can weigh large pieces like wings, fuselages, and engines. Then I add 'em up to get the total. I actually use it more often for small amounts. It will weigh to 0.01 gram. I weigh out small amounts of epoxy, search for lightweight balsa, and weigh lead shot for balast. For me, smaller capacity and more sensitivity are more valuable.
Chuck
Old 10-12-2008, 09:01 AM
dicknadine

any good postal scale. mine is good up to 2 lb. and they are not expensive at Wal Mart.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12479.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	1050204  
Old 10-12-2008, 10:34 AM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For weighing completed planes I use a baby scale. Keep an eye out and you can usually find one in the trash for free or at a garage sale for a couple of bucks. Mine was of the free variety.

For weighing individiual components or completed 1/2A planes I use an Ohaus triple beam balance. Not that I need the accuracy but because I have one that I gave $20 for at a garage sale. Before that I used a postal scale.

The bottom line is you don't have to spend a lot to get useful eqipment.

Dave
Old 10-12-2008, 10:40 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As mentioned above, I have a postal scale that goes to 16oz for light stuff. I also bought on that auction site, the one that is not allowed to be mentioned here, a 25lb mechanical scale that I have found to be accurate to within an oz or two. Good used scales can be found there.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:49 AM
ppkk

Thanks everyone.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:01 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

As mentioned above, once its done and heavy there is not much to do but fly it, or make it a hangar queen. That being said I have used small food scales, and even fish weighing types that you can suspend from above.. The real critical issue on weight is don't cut it close on the balance weight ! If you can't get rid of it in the tail make it heavier up front until its good.. I have played that game and lost !
Old 10-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If accuracy of half a pound or so is enough, you can weigh a finished plane by weighing yourself holding the plane, then set it down and just weigh yourself. (It's how you weigh a dog, too.) And for most planes, that's accurate enough, 'cause as others have said, there's not much you can do after it's done. For small planes where every half ounce counts, I use a postal scale.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:27 PM
Gollywock

I've bought scales from Will Knott http://www.oldwillknott.com/cgi-bin/...home_page.html and found his prices, service and selection to be excellent.
I wouldn't buy a scale that would go much more than 5-6 pounds. The one I use mainly will go up to 2500 Grams (five and a half pounds) in half gram increments. Jim
Old 10-13-2008, 02:08 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

I refuse to build using a scale. It takes all of the fun out of building, for me.

Were I flying in competition where weight was of critical importance, I would then use a scale. However, one of the reasons that I am a sport flyer is because I do not want to be bothered with weighing every little thing (within reason) and I don't plan on having a supply of contest balsa delivered to the house. I'm just too cheap. My models have been flying just fine for fifty years. Why ruin that now?

Ed Cregger
Old 10-13-2008, 04:18 AM
Rudolph Hart

No insult intended to the posters,i found some good info in there but ed you make me laugh.Thanks