Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Cessna 182 Skylane Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite Cessna 182 Skylane Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 09:43 PM
dansdeals3489

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite Cessna 182 Skylane Build

First let me introduce myself, my name is Dan and I am 27 years old and father of 2. I am telling all you modlers out there that this isn't just a retired man's hobby (no offense). This Top Flite Cessna 182 Skylane (TFC182) is my first kit build and in turn is also my first scale build. I am very excited to start this and will be starting this in a week when the rest of my supplies come. My goal is to have this completed and ready to fly in 3 to 4 months tops. I really need all you guys out there to keep me motivated to reach my deadline! Here are my plans for this build: cockpit kit, O.S. 75AX, strandard servos, flaps and a full fiberglass and paint job. I want to show that this is possible for a young guy without many skills, a family, and low budget. So please keep checking back and keep me motivated with finished TFC182 projects and questions, concerns, ideas and tips. This thread should help everyone and I will document as much as you guys want with lots of pics.
Here are a few to start:

Old 11-01-2008, 10:41 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Default RE: Top Flite Cessna 182 Skylane Build

You, sire, are gonna have loads 'o fun with all the sanding, sheeting, and painting. Trust me. There are others here, who have tried but given up. Keep in mind, that what you are building is definitely not a trainer. I hope you have one to learn on while building your project. There is also another thread about the Cessna:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5531029/tm.htm

At first, you will start on the tail surfaces. Then, work your way to the fuselage and wings. It's all formed by die-cut parts and stringers, then sheeted with balsa, which requires more than enough bending and shaping. Before too long, you may take up chomping on some cigars, to keep your nerves from getting too frazzled. It can be done as long as you have the shop, and the ambition. Are you a woodworker yet? Well, you're gonna be when this is all over!

NorfolkSouthern
Old 11-01-2008, 11:31 PM
dansdeals3489

This is my first kit build, but I have been flying for 5 years and am a pretty darn good flyer, just to let everyone know.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:43 AM
NorfolkSouthern

I wouldn't expect you to have any difficulty flying the Cessna. However, getting it built is going to take patience, ambition, and enough drive to actually finish the project. But when (and I'm saying this to give you a little motivation) you get it done, and it turns out to be a smooth flying machine that you don't have to trim while looking good on the ground and in the air, then it will be worth the time and hassle. Consider, though, that you may get a little nervous on the first flight. This is typical with a first build. I reached that point with my last Winter's project, and now I have something that will most likely outlast all my ARFs.

So... What are you waiting for? Let's get started on that elevator!

NorfolkSouthern
Old 11-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

You will enjoy the project. I am currently building a TF P47 and recently bought a TF Piper Arrow. One thing I would say is not to beat yourself up on the deadline. Build when you feel like it. Its a hobby, not a job. I started fast and furious on the P47, working almost every day on it for 6 weeks or so. Now, I havent touched it for 6 weeks. I have a lot done on it and its not too far from sanding and prepping for paint. The mood to build comes and goes and I decided to only work on it when I want to.

I tend to slow down when its time to sheet and carve LE, wingtips, etc.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:25 AM
dansdeals3489

ORIGINAL: NorfolkSouthern

I wouldn't expect you to have any difficulty flying the Cessna. However, getting it built is going to take patience, ambition, and enough drive to actually finish the project. But when (and I'm saying this to give you a little motivation) you get it done, and it turns out to be a smooth flying machine that you don't have to trim while looking good on the ground and in the air, then it will be worth the time and hassle. Consider, though, that you may get a little nervous on the first flight. This is typical with a first build. I reached that point with my last Winter's project, and now I have something that will most likely outlast all my ARFs.

So... What are you waiting for? Let's get started on that elevator!

NorfolkSouthern
Thanks for the motivation. I am waiting on just a few more supplies from Tower Hobbies and them I am going to start the tail section. I will be very nervous on this planes maiden flight, but it will definately be worth the build. I am tired of having the same planes (ARFS) that everyone else has at the field and want something different and something that will turn some heads. I have built many ARFS and do not feel it as enjoyable as having a one of a kind. While all you guys are waiting for me to start, check out our club website at: www.cmac.org
Old 11-02-2008, 02:36 PM
NorfolkSouthern

I have one ARF to finish up, a Lanier Citabria 40. After that, I'm hoping to get back to the HOB Decathlon. The most difficult part of the operation, in my opinion, is the hinging and covering, then the installation of the radio gear. In a kit, the thrust angles are indicated on the plan and in many cases, it's built in the alignment of the parts. You often don't get that with an ARF. Also, there are fitting issues and the possibility that a structure can be weakened if you cut into the wood while removing covering in the glue areas. Add to this, the possibility that some internal parts may not have been glued thoroughly in the manufacturing process. Should you crash a plane you built, it's more likely that you'll be able to restore it to original condition because you'll have all the templates and leftover covering that was used in the build. Planes from kits tend to last longer for the reasons stated.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 11-02-2008, 06:40 PM
bgfireman
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: Gringo Flyer

You will enjoy the project. I am currently building a TF P47 and recently bought a TF Piper Arrow. One thing I would say is not to beat yourself up on the deadline. Build when you feel like it. Its a hobby, not a job. I started fast and furious on the P47, working almost every day on it for 6 weeks or so. Now, I havent touched it for 6 weeks. I have a lot done on it and its not too far from sanding and prepping for paint. The mood to build comes and goes and I decided to only work on it when I want to.

I tend to slow down when its time to sheet and carve LE, wingtips, etc.
This is so right. I worked on mine for about 6 months off and on, but now I have a great flying one of a kind Cessna. (doesn't even look like the box colors.) Ask up if you have any questions, but don't reach for the glue until you are sure everything is correct.
Alan
Old 11-03-2008, 09:11 PM
dansdeals3489

I got all my tools and supplies ordered from Tower Hobbies this weekend!!! I will be starting this toward the end of the week and will post pics of my progress. All comments are welcome pertaining to the Top Flite Cessna 182. I would appreciate any tips or warnings as I am going along! I really appreciate all you guys out there![8D]
Old 11-03-2008, 09:15 PM
dansdeals3489

By the way, I am planning on doing a different paint scheme on this. Every Cessna I see is white with stripes and I want to do something a little different on this project. I am going to paint it the way I would order a new one from Cessna with a custom paint job. I am thinking about making the base color a deep candy apple red with yellow stripes and white pin stripes. What do you guys think out there? Anyone out there do something different on theirs? Please post pics
Old 11-04-2008, 08:20 PM
dansdeals3489

I got to work on this tonight (couldn't wait anymore) and marked everything. There sure is a lot of wood in this kit! It is going to be cool to see this box of wood turn into an airplane. Tomorrow I am starting on the horizontal stab (my shipment of supplies is coming in tomorrow ).
Here is a pic (not too much progress yet):
Old 11-05-2008, 09:43 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It took me 3 years and roughly 300 hours of off and on again work to finish mine. I scaled mine out with the robart strut, cockpit kit, and RAM nav lights. Water based poly fiberglass, and PPG automotive paint to finish it. She weighs about 14 pounds, and is powered with a Magnum 91 4s. I take off from grass, so I use full throttle on take-off, but usuall put around the sky at 1/2 throttle or so. Great flying plane, and make sure to build in the optional flaps. They are worth the work. Have fun!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37623.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	1066020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59442.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	1066021  
Old 11-05-2008, 11:40 AM
dansdeals3489

ORIGINAL: Deadeye

It took me 3 years and roughly 300 hours of off and on again work to finish mine. I scaled mine out with the robart strut, cockpit kit, and RAM nav lights. Water based poly fiberglass, and PPG automotive paint to finish it. She weighs about 14 pounds, and is powered with a Magnum 91 4s. I take off from grass, so I use full throttle on take-off, but usuall put around the sky at 1/2 throttle or so. Great flying plane, and make sure to build in the optional flaps. They are worth the work. Have fun!
Wow, that looks great! I am definately building the flaps in mine. How did you like doing the water based poly?
Old 11-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Deadeye

It was easy to work with, easy to clean up, easy to sand, easy to apply multiple coats in an evening, easy on the nasal passages. I guess I would say it was easy.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:56 AM
dansdeals3489

ORIGINAL: Deadeye

It was easy to work with, easy to clean up, easy to sand, easy to apply multiple coats in an evening, easy on the nasal passages. I guess I would say it was easy.
Great because that is what I am going to use
Old 11-05-2008, 12:12 PM
dignlivn

Deadeye,

That is purty, what color is the trim ??

Bob
Old 11-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Deadeye

Thanks for the compliments, guys. The trim is PPG acrylic enamel teal. The gray and black is vinyl. The clearcoat was sprayed over the vinyl and decals.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:20 PM
dignlivn

Thanks, I was leaning toward it being Teal.
One of a kind Plane you have.

Bob
Old 11-06-2008, 02:55 PM
dansdeals3489

Here is an update:
I am working on the horizontal stabilizer which is were the instructions have you start. The die cutting on this kit is absolutely great! I am following the directions and this should turn out pretty good. With the good instructions and the great plans, I think for my first kit this should turn out pretty good. It sure is a whole lot of fun to build so far and it will be very rewarding to see it finished and flying. I think I can reach the deadline I made of 3 to 4 months to have it flying by spring. Be sure to keep checking back as I should be updating this everyday. I gotta go to work now and will work on it some more when I get home.
Here is a pic:
Old 11-06-2008, 06:24 PM
dansdeals3489

I got some really cool landing lights for this tonight and will post pics of them later
Old 11-06-2008, 09:00 PM
CastorTroy2150
My Feedback: (10)

Looking at ordering one of these kits to build myself, Subscribed to this thread. Looking at what it would cost to convert to electric. I jsut got into electric and am afraid of what it would cost, can anyone tell me a suggestion as to what electric setup would run this plane well?

Pete
Old 11-07-2008, 12:51 AM
dansdeals3489

ORIGINAL: dansdeals3489

I got some really cool landing lights for this tonight and will post pics of them later
Check out these cool lights. They fit in the cowl holes with no modifications! They are a single diode LED in clear that are super bright and can be seen in direct sun light! They are not the cheapest lights but with the end result will be worth the money. They can be powered off a 9v battery and the battery should last a while due to the fact that these are a low amp draw LED. I haven't decided yet how to wire these in but I am not too concerned at the present moment because I have a lot of building ahead of me. If any of you guys want to know where to get these let me know and I will tell you.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:52 AM
dansdeals3489

Here are a couple more build pics from today:

Old 11-07-2008, 01:17 AM
MustangBY6
My Feedback: (14)

Dan,
Looks great, so far!
I have just started following this thread as it seems the other one I was following has slowed down a lot.
I am quite a bit ahead of you but you seem to have more drive than I do and will probably finish long before me.
I just started sheeting the top of the fuse. I am holding off on the sheeting on the front of the fuse as I am still not 100% on what engine I will use. I currently have a Saito 120 sitting in the nose but would realy like to use a Saito 100 twin that I have - I just need some real good advice on how to mount it...
Are those RAM lights you have in the cowling? I am considering those as well. I have already purchased the nav lights.
I hope you will keep up the posts and pictures, especially when you get to the glassing stage. That should be fun to watch!
Looking forward to your posts!!!
Russell.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:00 PM
dansdeals3489

ORIGINAL: MustangBY6

Dan,
Looks great, so far!
I have just started following this thread as it seems the other one I was following has slowed down a lot.
I am quite a bit ahead of you but you seem to have more drive than I do and will probably finish long before me.
I just started sheeting the top of the fuse. I am holding off on the sheeting on the front of the fuse as I am still not 100% on what engine I will use. I currently have a Saito 120 sitting in the nose but would realy like to use a Saito 100 twin that I have - I just need some real good advice on how to mount it...
Are those RAM lights you have in the cowling? I am considering those as well. I have already purchased the nav lights.
I hope you will keep up the posts and pictures, especially when you get to the glassing stage. That should be fun to watch!
Looking forward to your posts!!!
Russell.
Thanks, those are not Ram lights in the cowl. The Ram lights are not bright enough for me. The lights I purchased are superbright! They are acutally made by Truck Lite. I work for an International Truck Dealership and came across these lights that fit in the cowl perfectly. The only thing that stinks about them is they are $20.00 ea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.