Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Dynaflight Giant Super Decathlon 89"

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Dynaflight Giant Super Decathlon 89"

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 06:13 PM
lrglnman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynaflight Giant Super Decathlon 89"

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLP41&P=0
What can I expect from this kit? Thinking of getting it and installing a zenoah g20 What do you think? Also what do you think of dynaflight kits.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:40 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Dynaflight Giant Super Decathlon 89"

I am building one as we speak. It is a straight forward build. It does have a 2 piece wing so a little care is needed when installing the wing tubes, however everything else is just basic construction. I am covering mine with Worldtex and painting it with latex. My club has a build page on our web site and I have been submitting photo's of mine as I have built it. Good Luck and enjoy, Dave

http://www.clarkflyers.com/decathilon.html
Old 11-04-2008, 07:39 PM
lrglnman

That's a fantastic build. I guess I am going to place an order tomorrow for one. That will be my christmas present to myself. Is the plane going to come out on the heavy side? What are your estimates on this? Keep posting I will be following the build.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:07 PM
ekir
My Feedback: (1)

David

The S.D. sure looks good. You work on it is outstanding.

I considered building one a year ago and use a G-38 gas motor. Did not make the move, but your S.D. makes me want one.

Ed Kirtley
Old 11-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

There is another build thread on this kit with A lot of guys joining in, you can see what they are using for power and what there thoughts are on it. I have A 90 ARF I picked up in A trade with A Super Tigre 2300 glow engine, it works very well but it could use some more power, I think A G-38 or 45, the 45 may be over kill. I think the thread is A page or two back.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:26 AM
beepee

lrglnman,

It is a fun build and fly. You will not be disappointed. I do thing, though, that the G-20 will not be near enough, either weight or power. I put a Q42 in mine and still needed nose weight. The power with this arrangement was fine and it did not act heavy.

Good luck,

Bedford
Old 11-05-2008, 07:58 AM
lrglnman

I found that thread and read through it last nite . Alot of good info there. I guess I will go ahead and get the kit and worry about the motor at a later date. I sort of wish I didn't get the g20, not a lot of stuff to put it on that don't make the plane too heavy. This plane will have smoke on it . Some of the guys put a g26 on their plane but not too much info on the performance with that set up. I want it to have a bit more power but not unlimited vertical. I would like a happy medium. Is the g36 way over kill?
Old 11-05-2008, 08:08 AM
DavidAgar

I do not think that it is going to be heavy. The design has the servos in the rear of the plane, along with the battery and receiver. If you come out tail heavy, moving the receiver and battery forward should help. I am installing a cockpit kit with a Ken doll as my pilot, so I am hoping that my balance should be close. Hope you do a build thread when you get yours. Keep us posted, Dave
Old 11-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Gray Beard

A week before I picked up this 90 inch ARF in A trade I was going to buy the kit. I have an almost brand new Brison 40cc I was going to use. That's not A lot of over kill but more then the plane needs. This ARF with the ST 2300 will pull A huge loop from level flight and I haven't had any problems with normal flying, it came in right at 15 pounds as I recall. I just gave it to one of my students, easy enough to fly and see for him. I don't have the money to keep feeding it the fuel or I would keep it. Nice flying plane, the only stunt I wasn't able to do was the knife edge. I didn't work with it much so I'm not sure if it was the plane itself or the set up?? The kit plane is much better then this ARF, put them side by side and the difference is iasy to spot.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:33 AM
lrglnman

I am going to order this kit soon maybe in the next few weeks. I hope Tower will send out a good coupon before Christmas .That is what I am waiting for. If no good coupon comes up I guess I will go ahead and get the kit. But needless to say I will get it soon. I may do a build thread on this kit as well. I guess I will get the Hobby - Lobby Sr Telemaster for the G20. Seems like the best choice for the little engine.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:54 AM
P40 Maniac
My Feedback: (15)

I am building one right now too. I am working on the first wing. Going to put a g-38 in mine. I heard this was a great combination to use. I mighty add smoke to it. This is my first gaser for me.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:38 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

I put a G38 in mine. At 16.5 pounds, it was more than enough power, and the wing carries the weight well. Whatever engine you use, the standard landing gear will limit the prop to 18". I have seen some bigger engines used, but with custom landing gear that permit a larger prop.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:01 PM
lrglnman

Ok, Ok, You guys talked me into it. I guess I will ask Mrs. Clause if she might through one under the Christmas tree for me. Might shoot for one of evolutions 30 class engines or the new saito 36 gas. boy that would sound great!!!
Old 11-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Gray Beard

Wow, A new Saito gasser, that really is A great Mrs Clause if you can pull that off. So far I haven't even seen one yet.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:29 AM
lrglnman

No , Mrs. Clause would not have to know about that small accessory. How would a DA /DL 50 work in this plane? If I got that motor I could use it in some thing else later down the road. It only weighs a bit more that 3 lbs. I know it is way overkill but I like to think ahead. May have to think about custome landing gear. Oh well I guess I will get the plane do a nice build thread and worry about the motor later. Is most fokes using the supplied cowl or getting one from fiberglaass specialities?
Old 11-07-2008, 08:15 AM
DavidAgar

I am using the supplied one on mine. It went together good but I still need to cut my slots in it for the engine and then paint it. The landing gear is an exact size as far as width goes as it fits into a slot on the bottom of the plane. You will need to get the exact size metal in order to make a new one or plan ahead as you build the fuselage. I will be getting back to mine here in a week or two as I am on vacation the end of the month and will have some time. Good Luck, Dave
Old 11-07-2008, 09:36 AM
RCVFR

The supplied cowl goes together well. I assembled mine and it looked good, however, fitting it to cover the G38 was just too tight a fit. I bought a fiberglass cowl, and since it was much thinner, it fit well with a minimum "alteration".
Old 11-08-2008, 08:36 AM
beepee

You will be much happier with the fiberglass cowl.

Bedford
Old 11-08-2008, 12:14 PM
JimO

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a Magnum 150 Twin in mine and it flies great. Does all the maneuvers the full size does with ease. As I have read, flies like a big trainer at half throttle, and fully aerobatic at full.

Easy straight forward build.

JimO