Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Aerogloss Sanding Sealer

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Aerogloss Sanding Sealer

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Trax540
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerogloss Sanding Sealer

Is it really necessary to let this Aerogloss sanding sealer dry for 72 hours before applying dope paints? Ive put 2 or 3 coats on the wood thus far and ive gotten it sanded very smooth. It seems extremely dry to the touch within about 20min.

Not sure if i will screw up the finished paint by not waiting the recommended 72hrs

Any advice would be appreciated
Old 11-23-2008, 04:10 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Aerogloss Sanding Sealer

I may be wrong on this, but I believe the 'dope' keeps releasing it's gases for a couple of days and if you paint over it too soon, your covering paint may not 'stick' as well as it should. It's been a LONG time since I've used that stuff, but I loved it when I used it
Old 11-23-2008, 05:15 PM
Trax540

I forgot to mention the balsa being painted is for the cockpit, so its mainly cosmetic. i want a glass smooth paint finish in there.

Which is why im not exactly sure if the finish itself will be botched looking by not waiting the entire 72 hours.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:11 PM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

It most likely will crack the finished surface of the paint over a short period of time. I have been through this before.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Trax540

I guess better safe then sorry il just wait to dope it.
Otherwise il be really mad when i have to carve the cockpit out and redo it.

Thanks everyone always appreciated
Old 11-23-2008, 09:22 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My question is why you're using dope to paint the cockpit interior. If this is an enclosed cockpit, it doesn't need to be fuel-proofed. Even if it's an open cockpit this is not an area with is likely to get a lot of fuel contamination. And if you're just talking about one of the "flat areas" that pass for a cockpit on many sports models, then why not just cover with monokote?

Old 11-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Trax540

This is on a Cub , and the tank sits inside the nose completley open to the cockpit area .
so to be safe i am doping the cockpit incase of a fuel leak because it would contaminate the entire cockpit.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:48 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a common problem with many models. Either the tank is sealed in its own compartment, where it's difficult to get at for repairs (which are common) or it's accessible through the interior of the model, which opens up the possibility of a fuel spill. I suppose I've just stuck a piece of foam in behind the tank and hoped for the best. It would be impractical to fuel-proof everything in the interior of most scale cockpits.