Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SSE: Rudder mod or not?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SSE: Rudder mod or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 12:35 PM
chemie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSE: Rudder mod or not?

So I will start my first kit build on the 26th and I have read a bunch SSE threads. The one MOD I am thinking about is the rudder; I will do everything else to plan. The opinions have been very wide ranging on the rudder mod so I wanted a few suggestions.

I will have a ST51 and would eventually like to be able to knife edge.

Do I:

1. leave and build per plan
2. Add ~1/2" to the rudder. If so, where? (some add it to the LE, some to the TE, while others at it to the middle...which one?)
3. Same as above but ~1"
4. Add 1/2" or 1" and also add to the top and have counter-balance by cutting out top portion of vertical stab and adjusting hinge locations.

Let the debate begin. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: SSE: Rudder mod or not?

Just build bot elevators and rudders with counterbalances. Take it off the stabs and put it on the surfaces, very simple and very effective!
Not sure if you can see the lines with this picture of the one I built a few years back!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30834.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	1093174  
Old 12-20-2008, 02:03 PM
chemie

OK. I missed one.

5. Add CB but leave area unchanged.

The pictures I have seen suggested that #5 was not an option as there was no good place to cut with the "holes" in the way.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:30 PM
chemie

only one suggestion?
Old 12-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you wanna knife edge, go with an enlarged rudder w/ counterbalances for sure. I made mine pull-pull. This is my third SSE.

Name:	Kh17494.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1094033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37945.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	1094034  
Old 12-21-2008, 09:31 PM
chemie

Thanks Deadeye. How did you enlarge it? front middle or back portion? Did you change the vertical stab or just cut where there was no hole in the stock layout?
Old 12-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Deadeye

I enlarged the rudder 1 1/2" on the back. I cut the fin short, just above the hole for the tail braces, and transfered that piece to the counterbalance on the rudder.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:03 PM
chemie

Only one suggestion? With all the SSE builders out there, I thought I would get a bunch....
Old 12-25-2008, 09:07 PM
Muroc1

Is it really necessary? My SSE flies prerty sweet without any mods.

Frank
Old 12-25-2008, 09:21 PM
Krener

On my first SSE I left rudder & ele stock standard & only tweaked the wing mounting setup & sheeted the turtle deck.
Big mistake leaving the rudder cause she will always sink in knife edge.

On my second SSE I modified both ele & rudder.
The rudder I added 50mm (2 inches) to the trailing edge & counter balanced the top by removing the top section of the fin about 15mm above the hole where the tail wires bolt to.
I added 25mm (1 inch) to the trailing edge of the elevators & counter balanced them by removing 25mm from the horizontal stab, filling the gap with some scrap.

In hindsight I would not extend the elevators at all if I was to build another, just counter balancing them would have been enough for my flying style (I loath 3d rubbish sucking up the centre of the runway making fly bys impossible)

One thing to remember, if you extend the rudder & CB, the tail becomings a wind sock and makes taxiing a pain unless you have a strong tailwheel, mine wouldn't taxi in decent wind without doing donuts.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:30 PM
DamonTX

Iexperimented with bunch of ideas on the best way to modify the rudder and this one worked best for me overall. Cutting the rudder counterbalance at an angle really did make a noticable difference twin or no twin. Please be sure to post us some pics and let us know how whatever way you decide works for you....Damon

Name:	Wt59174.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1096682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59385.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	1096683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93953.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1096684  
Old 12-29-2008, 11:23 AM
chemie

So Damon, you just added CB and not extra length?
Old 12-29-2008, 12:20 PM
DamonTX

I tried adding length to one a few years ago and it did help but if I had to chose one I'd go with counterbalance just to use the opportunity to save some servo drain. I never tried using both because that would be a little over the top.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:20 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

My biggest recommendation with that kit would be to turn the motor so that the head is at 9 oclock when looking at it from the front, with the exhause exiting on the bottom of the fuze (with pitts style muffler). The stock config blows fuel all over the junction between the fuse and the wing and really makes a mess for clean up.

As to the Rudder, I enlarged mine a little, but what really helped knife edge for me was to move the CG back. The recommended spot is VERY conservative. It can be moved over an 1" back without getting touchy at slow speeds.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:50 PM
w8ye

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've never seen a SSE at a field near where I live but I had to be in the South East off and on for about 3 years. At that field it was SSE city. Everybody had at least one. I saw most of the mods listed here. But the SSE flies pretty good as designed by Sig. I observed many wonderful traits of the plane though I have never owned one.

I considered the ability to hover or knife edge a SSE to be more in the skill of the pilot.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:54 AM
Insanemoondoggie

ORIGINAL: daven

As to the Rudder, I enlarged mine a little, but what really helped knife edge for me was to move the CG back. The recommended spot is VERY conservative. It can be moved over an 1" back without getting touchy at slow speeds.
I`m on my second SSE , it`s tail heavy , with a GMS .47 with a 12.5x3.37 . Knife Edge is no problem . My first one had a OS .46 AX with a 11x6 apc . CG set to factorty , poor knife edge , would slide down pretty fast. .
On the next one , I plan just to counter balance the rudder and build the tail feathers out of sticks , instead of the balsa chunks that come with the kit. . Both mine came out tail heavy with the kit supplied wood.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:33 PM
chemie

I think my plan is to add the 1/4" triangle stock to the leading edge and then add another 1/2" of straight stock to that. This will give 3/4" extension and avoid the fitting/cutting which would be required to make the same extension on the TE side. This way the stock pieces all work with no changes to TE.

I have not decided on the CB or not...will wait and see what it looks like on the board.

Sound about right?
Old 01-07-2009, 12:55 PM
SteveR Rambin

ORIGINAL: DamonTX

Iexperimented with bunch of ideas on the best way to modify the rudder and this one worked best for me overall. Cutting the rudder counterbalance at an angle really did make a noticable difference twin or no twin. Please be sure to post us some pics and let us know how whatever way you decide works for you....Damon
Now that's about the neatest thing I've seen yet. I never would have thought to cut the rudder like that for fear of losing some stability. Does it fly well aerobaticly? Maybe you could send us some video.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:34 PM
DamonTX

Thats what I thought at first but then figured it may even add stability to the structure by providing more counterbalance on the hinge line. Below is a picture of it flying. I also attached a picture of the first twin that also had the same rudder setup. The second one ate it on an engine out (engines too far apart). Sorry but don't have any videos.

Name:	Lj23177.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	1105863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13176.jpg
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1105864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47744.jpg
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	1105865  
Old 01-08-2009, 11:39 AM
SteveR Rambin

Buddy that one really stands out in the sky. Must be a hoot to fly. I intend to build a second SSE if I ever get through with the first one (Too many other projects at home) and will add the rudder mod that you have done. By far that's the best one I've seen yet. The one I have now has the added width to the rudder and the CB added to the top above the vert stab. Going to run it with a Saito 65 four stroke. Might be a while before I get to try it though. Thanks for the pics.
Steve
Old 01-08-2009, 05:52 PM
chemie

Damon: Why diagonal? There is room between the cut-outs for a straight cut....
Old 01-08-2009, 08:56 PM
DamonTX

I just thought it would look better. If it went straight across it would make the leading edge of the fin look a little funny.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:06 PM
w8ye

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Some of the Cessna rudders like the 180 are counter balance at an angle like this