Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Tiger 60 kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Tiger 60 kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 10:32 PM
handyman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Tiger 60 kit

will be building this kit,power will be tt60 pro, any suggestions would be very helpfull,..............thanks
Old 06-13-2003, 11:44 PM
dickj
My Feedback: (1)

You can fly this plane with a 60 but a Saito 91 to Webra 1.20 will make it happen much better. I also used lite ply rib where the landing gear blocks go. Do a search on Tiger 60 tips. Read and read. This is a wonderful plane.
Old 06-14-2003, 12:03 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I built mine to plans a few years back. Great flying plane with only a ST .61.
This is one of those planes you just don't realy need an engine twice as big as called for. It's not by any means a 3d or super aerobatic plane.
A .61 provides enough power to get it off the ground in a hurry, and to move it from point "A" to point "B" in no time, yet slow down to an almost stand still in a slight breeze.
Vertical is limited, but still very good.
When I build another one I'll still only stick a .61, or maybe as far as a .70 something, but most likely a .61.

As far as building the kit, it's been awhile since I built it. (started it in 1992.Didn't get to finish it untill 1996 due to military service) I built it per plans and the only thing I can remember I wish I would have changed was beefing up the vert fin and adding a bit to the rudder.
Old 06-14-2003, 01:13 AM
Gdolboy3

I have a Tiger and here's the only areas I deviated from the plans, per some tips from some guys here on RCU. I added triangle reinforcement to the Wing Hold Downs in the Fuselage. I didn't put in the wing tips, I just capped off the last rid with some 1/16" balsa. I used a small piece of triangle stock on both sides of the verticle fin really as cosmetic more than stength. Other than those things I follwed the iplans to a "T". The best thing you can do with this plane is to build it as lite as you possibly can. There's no need to "beef" anything up really, as the plane will fly down and grease onto the runway with a little landing practice. Almost better than a trainer plane. From a performance stand-point I'm getting alot of fun out of this plane with an O.S. 61 FX with an 11x7.5 Prop. Mentioned earlier, it's not unlimited verticle but it will climb pretty high going staright up. Snap rolls are very crisp and fast with a little extra throw on the control surfaces. If I was to build one again other than what I mentioned I would only add some stock to the back of the Rudder and Elevator. What I mean by that is a piece of maybe 1/4"x1" balsa glued right to the trailing edge of these control surfaces and then shaped like the ones you would see on a Great Planes Sky Bolt. This is a really good 2nd Air Plane with great potential to introduce you to some advanced aerobatics. It flies really well, and it seems in my experience with a few other's Tigers, the lighter it's built the better it flies.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:30 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built a tigerII for my son and was awestruck at what a great airplane it was. I saved the plans and vowed to build another one, but I would change several things:
(1)The tank was too low. (typical of Goldberg planes). I would rotate the engine over to the right to lower the carburetor instead of mounting the engine vertically. Doing this right involves constructing a cowling and not just removing the cheek-piece on the right side.
(2) As designed, the ailerons flutter. Forget the torque rods and put in dual aileron servos. This solved the problem.
(3) It's been seven or eight years since I built it, and I STILL have plenty of lite-ply from it in my scrap box. I'd build the next one from Balsa and knock down the weight.
(4) Make it a taildragger. Fabricate ply half-ribs and move the LG blocks in front of the spar. A standard tailwheel would be easy to use. Retracts would NOT be a bad idea.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:45 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The only thing I did outside of the standard instructions was to taper the Rudder and Elevators (strictly for looks), and to discard the Elevator joiner, and go with a double pushrod.

This is one plane that needs no mods. It's great just the way it is.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:10 PM
FrancisPerson

Default My New Tiger 60

Hope to do first flight today or sooner. Powered by a Davis diesel converted Mecoa .46. Rather have a .60 Diesel but the .46 was on my bench. 7lbs 3oz.

Oily in Germantown

Francis
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	88640_592.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	50398  
Old 06-23-2003, 05:12 PM
CHassan

Default Re: My New Tiger 60

Originally posted by FrancisPerson
Hope to do first flight today or sooner.
Francis

Umm yesterday?

I'm not sure how deisel power runs, but if it's a Tiger .60 you'll probably want more than a .46
If you fly off of anything other than a hard surface, the .46 might not get you airborn.

But hey I don't know anything.

Let us know how it goes.

Oh and by the way, looks good. First 2 seater Tiger I've seen
Old 06-23-2003, 08:21 PM
FrancisPerson

Default Diesel .46

A .60 diesel is in the wish list when my wallet says so. Yes my field has a 600' paved runway.

Francis
Old 06-24-2003, 02:00 AM
FrancisPerson

Default 1st Tiger 60 flight

Got my first flight this evening. What a great airplane! And yes a .60 will be a welcome upgrade when I can. But for now, touch and gos are the best.

Oily in Germantown

Francis
Old 06-24-2003, 08:12 AM
CHassan

Somw day I will have another ont too. Loved that plane.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:19 PM
Juice-Dog-RCU

Finished one awhile back. Great plane to build and fly. For looks I added servo covers on the wing and pads to cover the landing gear wires laid in the wing. If you would like some covers for the servos, I still have the template and material. Just cover it with some left over covering from the wing and attach with some #2 screws. PM your address if interested.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	89701_16931.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	50399