Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

gp cap 232?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

gp cap 232?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 04:18 PM
Max_Thrust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gp cap 232?

Hello all.
Just purchased the gp cap 232 wanting to know if anyone can give some input?
For now the power is going to be a tower .46. I have this engine on my 4*40 weighing just over 6lbs and pulls that plane out of site.
I am thinking of servos in the wings for ailerons, one each elevator and one in between with pull pull for rudder. 3004's
Stans cowl instead of abs.
What do you all think?
Thanks.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:05 PM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The GP Cap

I have found that the .46 size motors don't do this plane any justice. I had one with a .46 OS FX and later switched it to a .70 Surpass II. The .70 was much better for the plane. A friend of mine recently finished his with an OS .91 Surpass II. The .91 is the perfect powerplant for this plane. Truely unlimited and no weight issues.

As for the Cowl, I would definatly go with the Stan's one. He does great work and it is 10X better than the ABS one. For the servos in the wing, I say go for it. Much better than the torque rods. Finally, the pull pull rudder is good, but I found with the .70 and the .91 you need that weight of the servo back there for balance. With a .46 I would move the rudder servo to the front compartment on a pull pull.

Phil (Mesa, AZ)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	86700_8231.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	50594  
Old 06-15-2003, 07:34 PM
Sprink

Default gp cap 232?

Building mine at the moment. So far very easy to build with no gripes.

Saito 91 on order, along with a new glass fibre cowl.

Also plan to enlarge ailerons. I will put the rudder servo at the back, but plan to move it to the side, to move it out of the exhaust from the engine.

Two hitec 225 are going to move the ailerons.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:55 PM
Max_Thrust

Default gp cap 232?

Thanks for the reply all.
Would love to go with a 90 4 stroke but budget wont allow it right now. Know what i mean?
Hopefully i can get it to come out under 6lbs. if so my 46 will pull it great, not unlimitted but it should be able to hang on the prop.
it will hang my 4* and its over 6lbs.
If i build it straight and it flies good then come winter i will get a good engine. hehehehehe
thanks
Old 06-16-2003, 12:18 AM
bash-ace-RCU
My Feedback: (16)

Default GP Cap 232

One of my favorite planes to fly, have the servo in the tail and a .70 up front, still required some weight up front to balance her. BEEF UP THE MAIN GEAR MOUNT , I've pulled my gear out three times in as many years. I would love to get another one to build, mine is getting long in the tooth, will need an MOH soon.

Name:	86802_2242.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	50595  
Old 06-16-2003, 04:00 AM
Hisham

Default CAP232

I am using an MVVS 61 engine on mine with an
incowl muffler....
Pull-pull for rudder is excellent, and used the same
setup for the ailerons as per plans, on servo in the
middle of the wing , excellent setup, the plane is a
real glider at low speeds....
watch out for elevator throws....!
Regards
Hisham

Name:	86872_4088.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	50596  
Old 06-16-2003, 07:20 AM
Devo

Default gp cap 232?

I've flown mine for two years now. Mines basically all stock, using an OS 70. 13x6 Zinger prop. It weighs 6lbs 11 ozs. Balanced on center using only battery placement. Real fun to fly. Great knife edge for the size. Great up-lines from full powered level flight. Will hover, but only exits available from a hover are left, right or down, not up. I will second the glider comment, after flying mine for awhile I found it would fly quite slow and deadsticks are very forgiving.
Modifications I intend to make and would make if I was to build another are as follows:
1)Two aileron servos
2)Larger ailerons, I am disappointed in the roll rate using the stock aileron design.
3)Use the rudder servo in the back of the fuse, but recess it into the fuselage. A pull-pull system would also be a nice touch. In stock trim the rudder works very well if you crank up the rates. The short pushrod eliminates a lot of potential for slop. However, the servo is vulnerable sitting on the bottom of the fuselage.
4)REINFORCE THE GEAR MOUNT! The gear mount is quite light. If you fly off a well groomed field and always land on that field, you'll probably get along fine with the stock gear mount. If not, the least you should do is use 1/4-20 inserts in the mount and use nylon screws to attach the gear. This way the gear shears off without causing any structural damage in the event of an unscheduled landing. Using either mounting technique will result in loss of the gear in any mishap.
5)Use a fiberglass replacement cowl. While I was happy with the fit and finish of my completed cowl, it hasn't held up well after it's two years of use.
6)Use a 91 Saito. I like OS engines and I like my 70 Surpass, but a 91 would give unlimited vertical. And, according to the manufacturers claimed weights, using the Saito would not add any additional weight.

I would not add twin servos for the elevator. I use a single standard servo on mine and find it to have plenty of power for this plane. I feel adding another servo would just add unnecessary weight.

Good luck with those planes in progress. Post pictures of completed kits.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:30 PM
Max_Thrust

Default gp cap 232?

Thank you all for your replies and the pics.
I will try to post some pics as i go and when done.