Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Don Smith and Dan Palmer B24 plans???

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Don Smith and Dan Palmer B24 plans???

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 12:44 PM
ben.roper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don Smith and Dan Palmer B24 plans???

I've been trying to get a hold of both the Don Smith 1:9 scale B24 plans (kit)and the Dan Palmer B24 1:8 scale plans (kit). I'm told that PrecisionCutKits purchased the rights to these plans and is the only distributor. Is that true? I've tried calling and emailing PrecisionCutKits for over a week and I don't get a response. Are there any laser cutting companies out there that offer the kits as well as the plans? Does anyone know if PrecisionCutKits has gone out of business? It's sad for them to monopolize on the Don Smith and Dan Palmer plans like that. Any suggestions?

Old 08-22-2009, 12:49 AM
davidyat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Don Smith and Dan Palmer B24 plans???

I'm fairly sure they are slow now because Larry Katona had a liver transplant I'm told. I had the same problem. Just keep calling and when you get someone they are helpful. I got my Don Smith B24 and am getting my head around the project so I can start.

[email protected]

Old 08-22-2009, 10:12 AM
ben.roper

I did get both my Don Smith and Dan Palmer B-24 plans from Larry. I heard about his transplant. I hope he's doing well now. Yea, I did get a hold of someone there finally and they were very nice and helpful. I'll buy my B-24 kit from them for sure. I've looked over both the Don Smith B-24 and the Dan Palmer B-24 and I have to say I'm going to build the 1:8 scale Dan Palmer B-24. I like his plans better than Don Smith. Don Smith has hinged flaps instead of fowler flaps. Also, I'm not a huge fan of having a larger center wing section. I like having the wings plug into the fuselage. I've notice though that more people build the Don Smith kit rather than the Dan Palmer kit. I'm going to give the 1:8 scale a try. Keep me posted how your Don Smith kit comes along.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12458.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1260670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84491.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	1260671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51228.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	1260672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd88980.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1260673  
Old 08-22-2009, 10:15 AM
ben.roper

Oops, I forgot to mention that the pictures I posted are of my American Eagle B-24 I built. It has a 11 foot wingspan. I love the plane. It flies awesome! I want to build another one bigger and better. I learned a lot doing this one and I think I can make it better.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Palmers plans are notorious for having innacuracies in the fit of the parts. Check and double check before proceeding to glue! You may find that some of the parts that come in a laser cut kit will not be useable unless PCK has been made aware of the issues and has fixed them.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:29 PM
ben.roper

Hi Chad, thanks for the heads up. I'll check with PCK to see if they've done any fixes. I have both plans and its hard to decide which ones to go with. I've spent some time looking at the Dan Palmer plans and they look pretty good. I've talked with a couple guys that have built the B-24 from Dan Palmer and they said it was pretty tricky but everything came out fine. Still, I'll check with PCK. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Ben,

Just to clarify I have no experience with the Palmer B-24 beyond having looked at the plans. However, other folks who have built from his plans (not necessarily the Liberator) have related parts fit issues, some of which were significant. I had a look over at RCSB but their are no Palmer B-24 build threads to be found over there at the moment. I'm sure there won't be anything you can't handle and I look forward to your build thread.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:06 PM
ben.roper

I wish there was some more plans out there for the B-24. The only ones I know of are the kit from American Eagle, and the plans from Don Smith and Dan Palmer. I have, however, talked with Wingspan Models and he's in the process of making a composite B-24. He won't finish it for another year or more. I'm kind of waiting to see what his plane comes out like before I start building.

I would like to do a larger scale. Either the 1:8 scale from Dan Palmer or the Wingspan Model B-24. I'm not sure what scale the Wingspan model is going to be but he does offer a B-17 at a 1:6 scale. We'll see if he offers the B-24 at that same scale. That would be awesome.

I'm starting to think I should just scratch build one. It might be easier that way. Maybe modify the Palmer or Smith plans and do my own thing. I don't know. I think I'll wait until Wingspan comes out with their B-24 and decide then. Meantime, maybe I should start looking into doing a Lancaster...
Old 11-25-2013, 05:34 PM
marcoplanes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B-24 plans and short kir

Ben,
plans are available at www.marcoplanes.com and the short kur is available from Laser Technology. My plans are full size for a 1"=1'-0" model having a 110" wingspan. It s modeled after the "Strawberry *****" as displayed at the USAF Museum at Dayton, Ohio.
Give a look!
Chris Marco
Old 02-15-2015, 11:12 AM
Prekin
My Feedback: (19)

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Is there any fibreglass or plastic accesorries for Palmerīs 110" B-24D?