Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

First Kit suggestions

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

First Kit suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:57 AM
Showtime100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Kit suggestions

I am 40 and have good piloting skills but very limited experience in the modeling department. I started with ARFs. Anyways, I have a large building area and want to build my first kit. My goal is to gain enough experience from my first couple kits to move on to and build a Giant Warbird this winter. Since I want to build scale airplanes, should I go with a Sig 1/4 J-3 Cub kit or go with something smaller? I don't want a trainer. Any suggestions on how to work toward giant warbirds would be appreciated. Again, don't worry about piloting the finished product, just what kit is a good first build?
Old 06-30-2009, 10:00 AM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Default RE: First Kit suggestions

Hi

if you know what size Warbird you want to build, buy that size engine so you will have it for the warbird. There are a lot of stable High Wing civilian type aircraft you can build as a next project that are the same size. That will help you when you go to build the warbird. You will also need the higher dollar radio and servos to go with the big plane. The Cub being one. Just depends on your taste in planes.

Vince
Old 06-30-2009, 10:05 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to have my students build the SuperSportster for there first kit and second or third plane but the last few years I have changed over to the 4*60. The 4* is a little easier plane to build but my real reason was it was a little easier for them to fly as a second plane after the trainer. Because of the sheeting used in the SS I think that would be a good starting point. Just a bit harder then the 4* but a better learning tool. For an advanced pilot it is a bit better flyer and not such a floater like the 4*s, something you could enjoy flying after you finish it.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:21 AM
Showtime100

It's probably a good place to start but I just don't have any interest in the 4* or any other acrobatic/sport-type model. Knowing my personality I'd lose interest in something that I wasn't excited to fly. Like I said above, I don't need to a trainer as far as flying goes, just a somewhat easy builder to begin with.

The suggestion to buy comparable engine sized planes seems like a good idea. Does anyone think a 1/4 J-3 Cub to a TF P-47 .60-.91 kit is a good pathway to a giant scale warbird like the TF 85" P-47 or P-51D? I'm sure I'd be able to transfer the engine and servos from the Cub to the P-47 and get loads of flying time from each before making the leap to the big birds and big engines. Or am I going about it all wrong?

Old 06-30-2009, 10:36 AM
redfox435cat

most of the great planes kit make good fist kits.

I'd say

build an uproar, great simple first kits, my last one I biult in 5 6 hour days. then a GP ultra sport 60, awesome flying kit it it's own right but get you some experience with large sheeting and a retract install. Since your looking for experience I suggest putting in a pneumatic set in the ultra sport just for experience. There are no mechanical retract set that can support giant scale. then go for a top flight giant scale warbird kit. But its up to you
Old 06-30-2009, 10:54 AM
iflyg450

If you want to build a Cub go for the 1/5 Sig its a beautiful laser cut kit
Old 06-30-2009, 11:39 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Great Planes P-51, I'm told, uses the Ultra Sport wing, and as such is a great flyer. We're also told that Great Planes kits are tops. I think in your case this would be a good selection. It's just a 40 size.

Sig has great instructions and kits, you might enjoy the Kobra or King Kobra.

Ace still offers some small planes, including a delightful little Ultimate Biplane. It's not for the beginner or the adrenaline-averse, but you might consider it for practice. Use a .15. It's in the Parkflyer section, at the end.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 06-30-2009, 02:02 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto on the Great Planes Mustang 40. It's a good build and... It's a Mustang! But it handles easier than a scale warbird. Great flier!

The Sig 1/4 scale Cub is NOT a good first build - I've built one and it is what's known as a "Builder's Kit". That means, you need to know what you are doing to complete one!
Old 06-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Showtime100

Thanks for the heads up on the Sig 1/4 Cub... I already own a .40 Mustang with a .70 4 stroke so I'd like to go up to at least a .60 size Warbird. I am leaning towards the TF P-47 .60-.91 kit. Anybody think that kit is too much for a first time builder? Oh, and I do have some flying buddies who could help me if I get stuck.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:34 PM
MinnFlyer

That would be a stretch for a first build as well.

how about one of these? They're all slightly advance (building wise) but not nearly as difficult as a Top Flite kit - and you'll get tons of building experience

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...SM&C=AAG&V=GPM
Old 06-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Showtime100

I don't know why but I just don't get excited about those types of airplanes. I like Cubs, Cessnas. and Warbirds. I own a Sig Space Walker II and it sits on the bench while I fly the Mustang all the time. For some reason I am not in to aerobatic or bipes or most other sport airplanes. I like scale and I fly scale. If I built one I'd probably never fly it. Keep in mind that I am not a kid or a newbie flyer and I own my own shop and tools. Is it really that hard to build from a .60 size warbird kit? If you say so, I'll keep looking for something smaller to begin with. The .40 Mustang may be the best thing afterall since I can use my old .40 size engine and servos lying around. Sigh...
Old 06-30-2009, 02:52 PM
MinnFlyer

A Cub would be great, but go with the Sig 1/5 scale or the Goldberg Anniversary Cub (Either way, build the clipped wing!)
Old 06-30-2009, 03:01 PM
Showtime100

Yes, I've read several build threads on the Cubs and everyone recommends doing the clipped wing... Thanks for all your help.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you feel that way and you do have some help then you may as well buy one of the Top Flight Gold Edition kits of your choice except maybe the F4U. Very good instructions. I found the hardest part of the build is installing the retracts. The gold editions go together very well. It depends a lot on how well you can follow instructions. I know people that could build one for a first kit and I know people that will never be able to build one. A lot depends on yourself.
They aren't my first choice but it sounds like you want to build one anyway, go for it!!!
Old 06-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Augie11

I'm going to get on the bandwagon here with Minnflyer. I've built the Sig 1/4 scale Cub as well as several TF .60 warbirds. They are great kits but I'd stay away from them as a first kit. A Sig 1/5 scale Cub is a good choice and will give you a good feel for the basics like straight, accurate construction and covering techniques. Couple that with a good basic float kit....like the Great Planes and you'll pick up confidence and versatility. Then move on to a TF .60 warbird and you'll learn about retracts, flaps and develop finishing techniques. Along the line you'll discover what tools you need etc. Kit building is not rocket science but it takes patience, making mistakes......fixing them and the real key-building each plane better than the last.

Congrats on taking the plunge. If you truly enjoy building, as many of us do, you've found a lifelong source of satisfaction.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:22 PM
icegs

Have a look at the Great Planes Taylorcraft 20. It's a pretty good build and turns out to be a great flying plane.

There's a picture of mine in my gallery.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:27 PM
stefanP
My Feedback: (2)

Hey! Why hasn't anyone mention BalsaUsa kits for this gentelmans first kit?I've built a couple and they go togther pretty easy.Plus they have a nice instruction manuels.Just have to watch out,that the planes usually come out tail heavy.My 2cents
stefanP
Old 06-30-2009, 11:55 PM
rlemaster

I'm actually somewhat the same way in that I'm really more into scale building than fun-fly type planes. I have a couple, but they aren't what I enjoy building. I'd take a look at the Top-Flite Cessna or the Piper Arrow II. These are civilian plane kits and for me are a bit easier to build than some of the warbirds. They also allow you to get as detailed or (not) as you want.

If you don't have any building experience, another thing I would suggest is getting some videos on building techniques. I specifically like the Dave Platt videos as they really show some neat tricks and ways you can save a ton of time and money. If you aren't sure which ones you need, just give him a call and he'll point you in the right direction.

Good luck.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:53 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

after building a couple of the TF kits there really not as hard as some would make them out to be follow the instructions carefully use common sense and dont skip any steps and you will end up with a nice model, some of these civillian models are as hard to build as a Top Flight warbird the only difference is the shape.

before you make a decision read the manual there easy to download for free just go to www.towerhobbies.com and take a look for yourself,all the Top Flight manuals are free to look through, my latest full build was the P-47 its a strait forward project that comes out nice when you follow the steps in the book, my latest TF project is a refurbishment of a TF P-40 .

here is the manual for the P-47 thunderbolt have a look http://manuals.hobbico.com/top/topa0135-manual-v2_1.pdf
Old 07-01-2009, 06:39 AM
Fast Guy

Completed my first kit last winter. It was a Sig 1/5 scale J3 cub. Took me 200 hrs to build. Fit together very well being lazer cut. Electric power. Highly recomended first time build.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70423.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	1227960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76620.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	1227961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75834.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	1227962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42783.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	1227963  
Old 07-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Showtime100

Every time I see a Cub like that I get all excited about building one. Beautiful!
I have read the build manuals twice for the TF P-51 and P-47 giant and .60 builds and if I'm being honest with myself, I probably don't have the necessary "basic" skills to build one of those as a first kit. I am sure their are certain assumptions in those instructions that this isn't your fist time around the block and I don't want a $1,500+ bird that looks and flies like dog turds. A few of you have recommended the 1/5 J-3 Cub from Sig and that may be the best route.

I am glad I asked instead of blindly buying a warbird kit.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:46 AM
MinnFlyer

The Goldberg Anniversary Cub is not as scale but an easier build.

Whichever way you go, build the clipped wing option! They fly MUCH better.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Showtime100

What about the Great Planes .40 J-3 Cub kit? It looks pretty scale and has the barn door ailerons. I'll read through the manual in a minute.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Showtime100

I found the Goldberg versus Great Planes .40 Cub kits. I am still up in the air as to which to choose but that's ok. It sounds like any of the three will be ok.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Fast Guy

One other thing that I liked about the Sig 1/5 scale Cub is that the wings are seperate from each other mounting on a wing tube like many newer 3D planes. Much easier to transport. Everything you need is included to build as a J3 or Clipped wing

Link to build manual.
[link=http://www.kavanrc.de/instructions/sigrc82anniversarycub.pdf]Sig 1/5 scale J3 Cub[/link]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.