Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

carl goldberg Sukhoi su-26, what important i haft ot know before i start construction

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

carl goldberg Sukhoi su-26, what important i haft ot know before i start construction

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 04:25 PM
Ghostrider FIN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carl goldberg Sukhoi su-26, what important i haft ot know before i start construction

Hi all!

I just bought CG Sukhoi kit. Before i start to construct what important modifications and chances i haft to made? I already heard weak landing gear block and also wing servo trays need to reinforcements. Do i need some else to know, please tell me here or via by email?

Also picture of this plane are cheerfully welcome.

Sorry my dumb English, my first language is Finnish.
Old 06-28-2003, 04:52 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default carl goldberg Sukhoi su-26, what important i haft ot know before i start construction

Ghostrider:

The CG Sukhoi is designed as a general class airplane, and if flown as a sport plane, limited aerobarics, it is strong enough as built.

But who flies that way?

All the servo plates should have doublers glued in for the mounting screws, and my pet method for the gear is extending the mounting plate 75-100mm front and rear, with more wood triangular stock added as fillets in the corners.

Don't apologise for your English. Your post shows a much better command of the language than many American users here.

And let me welcome you to RCU.

Bill.
Old 06-28-2003, 05:09 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Check your print to see if the gear is attached to the wing or the fuselage. If it is to the wing, you will need to re-enforce the area so that the gear stays on.
Old 06-28-2003, 05:18 PM
William Robison

Geistware:

I may be mistaken, but I think all the Sukhoi prop driven aerobatic planes have fuselage mounted gear.

Only their jets, the military aircraft, had wing mounted LG.

Bill.
Old 06-28-2003, 05:27 PM
IMCub
My Feedback: (1)

"Don't apologise for your English. Your post shows a much better command of the language than many American users here."

... and it's 1000 times better than my Finnsh!

Cheers!
Old 06-28-2003, 06:28 PM
Ghostrider FIN

Originally posted by Geistware
Check your print to see if the gear is attached to the wing or the fuselage. If it is to the wing, you will need to re-enforce the area so that the gear stays on.
Hey thanks, i just looked plans and landing gear is fitted on the fuselage. So does this version need any special reinforcements?
Old 06-28-2003, 06:38 PM
William Robison

Ghostrider:

Look at the plan again.

See the plate the gear is bolted through? That is what I was talking about lengthening.

Add enough to reach the next bulkhead forward, and the next bulkhead aft.

As memory serves the forward end will go all the way to the firewall, don't remember how far back the other end was.

This will add an ounce or two, but under stress you'll bend the gear instead of tearing it out of the plane. Much easier repair.

Bill.
Old 06-28-2003, 06:52 PM
Ghostrider FIN

Here the picture from a plans, did you mean i should lengthen landing gear block closer to the former what is called "B"?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	89932_31933.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	52039  
Old 06-28-2003, 06:59 PM
Ghostrider FIN

And one thing, usually i use plastic M4 screws to attach landing gear. They work fine on normal landing, but if landing goes wrong (what happens very rarely) screws will break and fuselage does not break.
Old 06-28-2003, 07:02 PM
Ghostrider FIN

How about the engine? I´ve got many engines, in this case i was think GMS 200 1.20 do the job. Also i have Saito FA300T this may are too rough for that plane?
Old 06-28-2003, 07:09 PM
barto

Here's a site with some info and pics

http://home.concepts.nl/~rwegert/sukhoi/sukhoi.html
Old 06-28-2003, 07:16 PM
William Robison

Ghostrider:

Extend the gear mounting plate forward to former B, and back to the former B2 doubler.

Put tri-stock all around, against both fuselage side doublers and formers B and B2 doubler.

I'm partial to the Saito engines, ut the 300T would just be too much. Of the two you listed, the GMS 120 would probably be far better. But I really think I'd try to find something around a 180 or 210 for it.

Bill.
Old 06-28-2003, 07:19 PM
Ghostrider FIN

Originally posted by barto
Here's a site with some info and pics

http://home.concepts.nl/~rwegert/sukhoi/sukhoi.html
Hey is that your´s plane? I saw from the pictures that cowling and belly pan on that plane is made plastic. My one is class fiber, how this is possible? packaging is different too.

That model is greatly finished.

One another difference of your plane is that you have wing mounted landing gear instead of my fuselage mounted.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	89940_31933.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	52040  
Old 06-28-2003, 07:32 PM
Ghostrider FIN

Originally posted by William Robison
Ghostrider:

Extend the gear mounting plate forward to former B, and back to the former B2 doubler.

Put tri-stock all around, against both fuselage side doublers and formers B and B2 doubler.

I'm partial to the Saito engines, ut the 300T would just be too much. Of the two you listed, the GMS 120 would probably be far better. But I really think I'd try to find something around a 180 or 210 for it.

Bill.
Yep thanks! Now i Fully understand what you meant. This modification is just that what i looking for.
Old 06-28-2003, 07:46 PM
Ghostrider FIN

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...hreadid=296722

This topic help me with the engine question. Saito FA300-T is really bad overkill so my choice is GMS 1.20..
Old 06-28-2003, 10:47 PM
Geistware

From the drawing supplied, it looks like the gear is mounted to the wing. While building and installing the mounting plate for the wing, you need to re-enforce the mounting plate in the wing to keep it from ripping out. I designed a brace for mine that worked for over 100 flights.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:35 AM
Ghostrider FIN

Originally posted by Geistware
From the drawing supplied, it looks like the gear is mounted to the wing. While building and installing the mounting plate for the wing, you need to re-enforce the mounting plate in the wing to keep it from ripping out. I designed a brace for mine that worked for over 100 flights.
Yep it look like, but if you look again it is mounted on bottom of a fuselage.
Old 06-29-2003, 11:22 AM
Geistware

OK, I see it now. I would definately recommend that you brace that mount better. From the vertical wing mount to the tank tray.
Old 06-29-2003, 02:51 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard that CG re-designed the kit a while back, expressly to address problems with the first one, which had wing-mounted main gear.

The second edition of the kit supposedly has fuselage-mounted gear, and the SpectraGlass (their name for fiber glass) accoutrements. Can anyone verify this?

I would like to build this model one day, and am keeping a loose eye out for a NIB "second-edition" kit. I dunno if Lanier intends to revive the wood kits or not. Their versions of CG ARFs are in the pipeline now, so perhaps we'll be hearing reports of their quality before long.

I just bought a CG Ultimate ARF, but a bit of study now has me convinced that this one was actually produced before CG sold out to Lanier. It is of exemplary quality.

However, a few CG kits I examined shortly before they sold out showed really bad wood. Moral of the story; look before you buy.

Steve
Old 06-29-2003, 03:04 PM
Ghostrider FIN

Originally posted by Steve Campbell
I've heard that CG re-designed the kit a while back, expressly to address problems with the first one, which had wing-mounted main gear.

The second edition of the kit supposedly has fuselage-mounted gear, and the SpectraGlass (their name for fiber glass) accoutrements. Can anyone verify this?

I would like to build this model one day, and am keeping a loose eye out for a NIB "second-edition" kit. I dunno if Lanier intends to revive the wood kits or not. Their versions of CG ARFs are in the pipeline now, so perhaps we'll be hearing reports of their quality before long.

I just bought a CG Ultimate ARF, but a bit of study now has me convinced that this one was actually produced before CG sold out to Lanier. It is of exemplary quality.

However, a few CG kits I examined shortly before they sold out showed really bad wood. Moral of the story; look before you buy.

Steve
This is the answer, i´ve got second edition kit because i found also class fiber parts what is called those "SpectraClass parts. And also fuselage mounted landing gears.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:21 PM
Steve Campbell2

OK, thanks. How is the wood quality in yours?

Steve
Old 06-30-2003, 06:32 PM
Ghostrider FIN

Originally posted by Steve Campbell2
OK, thanks. How is the wood quality in yours?

Steve
I think wood quality is same as older ones. All parts was straight and no anything was cracked or missing. Only negative point is tolerances between parts, little sanding needed to perfect fit like all die cut kits.Those parts which is used older version was cut by "die cut" and parts which belong a second edition is cut by laser.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:20 AM
Geistware

It would be nice if they could laser cut this kit!