Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

any advice before maiden flight?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

any advice before maiden flight?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Scratchie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default any advice before maiden flight?

I've finished my BUSA Smoothie - it took a while workiing on it only 1-2 evenings a week - but its done (after I balance it tonight/tomorrow - inverted). This Smoothie is my first rc kit, my first tail dragger and my first low wing. I'll ask an instructor to maiden it before I try, but I wanted to ask if there's anything I should know before I send the plane up.

ws = 52"
weight = 4lbs, 10 oz
engine = OS 0.46AX,
prop = 11x6
aerlerons/stab 1/2 " up and down
rudder = 1" left/right

The Smoothie is my second plane. How different will the Smoothie be from my Hobbico Superstar 40?
Old 09-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: any advice before maiden flight?

First, you go over the plane nose to tail and check everything. Loose screws, motor, throttle push rod, servo arms, landing gear, wheel collars, serov mounts. I've had a servo horn fall off in flight because I forgot to tighten thescrew after adjusting mechanical centering. Lucklyit was the throttle.. Made for a long flight and dead stick but that was nothingcompaired to an aileron or elevator horn popping off. Check fuel tank mounting. check canopy and cowl mounting. Check throw end points, symetry on movement, dircetion of movement, mechanical trim. Check that the glow plug is tight ( I missed that one on my last checkout and the engine suddenly died just as I was lifting it off the bench for the flight test, It spit the plug out.) fire up the engine and run it up and check throttle performance, Full throttle, idle, and kill switch movements. Make sure the carb is set OK. Run it for two ro three minutes on the ground, full throttle most of the time, but varrying throttle. Kill it and lit it cool then check the engine mounting screws one more time. Now, have a club member with a critical eye double check your checkout. Range check with the engine running. Fly it and enjoy it.

Forgot something. if you have dual ailerons, and plug each servo when mounting the wing, color code the servo plugs so you always plug the correctly. I use a channel on each aileron, and while they are very close on mechanical alignment. swapping the plugs will require a tad of trim to straighten things out. Next time you put them in right and now the tad of trim is needed again. I use very small cable ties. Two black and two white. Put a tie on one wire on both the plug and socket.Match the colors and you are the same each time youplug up the ailerons.I tried using blue masking tape, and it works but tends to fall offafter a while. The cable ties are iron clad.

Don
Old 09-10-2009, 03:08 PM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Don covered it very wellthe key point is to have someone else check everything. The key to the takeoff with a tail dragger is to open the throttle slowly and be able to use the rudder. I have never had a Smoothie, but suspect it will be faster and much more nimble on the controls than your trainer. Good idea to have an instructor do the maiden and get it trimmed out.
Chuck
Old 09-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Les Nessman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All very good advise above, hope everything goes smoothie, scratchie
Old 09-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Scratchie

Thanks, I've checked all the connections, tank, throws - it's solid. I really like the idea of running the engine on the ground and then re-cheking the mount - thanks.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:23 PM
GaryHarris

Don't drink coffee or Mountain Dew.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:31 PM
mclina

It sounds like you have triple checked everything mechanically. I think the biggest things to check for a maiden are the CG and the control throws. Make sure you have the control throws set within the recommended range (not too much!!!) and make double sure that your surfaces (especially elevator and ailerons) are going in the right direction.

Then, try to relax. You don't want to be too tense for the first flight. Take it off and let it get plenty of altitude before you start moving the sticks too much. Then just do a few easy passes down the field to get the feel for it and see how your trims are doing.

If you built it straight, the CG is good, and the control throws are good, you will have an easy and enjoyable maiden flight.

Good luck
Old 09-10-2009, 06:54 PM
frenchie79

I have this plane, it fly's very well. Stable and i guess "Smooth". I think you will find it very easy and landings slow and stable. Manage the throttle with a 46, it will be very fast.
You will be able to roll this plane and pull elevator for crisp turns with nice speed-"Yank and Bank".
Enjoy and report your success to all.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Scratchie

I'll probaly fly it next Monday/Tues, and will post a report and pics. Another quick qustion about the throws, since the aerlerons are tappered - narrow at the wing tips and wider near the fuselage, I set the 1/2" throw at the mid point between the wing tip and fuselage. Is this correct?

Attached is a pic of the fuselage when I was doing the electronics install.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78597.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1272587  
Old 09-10-2009, 10:46 PM
andrew wisc.
My Feedback: (4)

nice looking smoothie!! i will be building one of these this winter. any build tips or suggestions appreciated. thanks andrew wisc.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:46 AM
mclina

ORIGINAL: Scratchie

I'll probaly fly it next Monday/Tues, and will post a report and pics. Another quick qustion about the throws, since the aerlerons are tappered - narrow at the wing tips and wider near the fuselage, I set the 1/2'' throw at the mid point between the wing tip and fuselage. Is this correct?

Attached is a pic of the fuselage when I was doing the electronics install.
I think that the recommended throw on a tapered control surface would be at the fattest point. If you set it at the mid point, you may have a little too much throw. I would set it up with some expo, just to make sure it's not too sensitive for the first flight.

Good luck
Old 09-11-2009, 07:39 AM
Scratchie

Thanks, I'll take your advice
Old 09-11-2009, 07:45 AM
Scratchie

I have pics of the entire build and can post them in the next few days. The build (my first) was striaght forward with no problems - covering was difficult at times. I moved the battery and receiver aft of the CG and at first glance the plane seems close to where it should be for balacaning.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:58 AM
dignlivn

Once you lift off your thumbs will be
nervous at first. Just remember to take
a breath now and then.

Good Luck.

Bob
Old 09-11-2009, 04:36 PM
surf

A lot of good advice. I would check the CG at least twice and it's ok (or better) to be a little nose heavy. CG should never be 'close enough'.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:22 PM
DaveB

Make sure you check the most obvious; that is, ailerons are not reversed. When turning left the left aileron should be up, conversely when right stick is applied, the right aileron is up. Do similar checks with elevator and rudder. Many a plane has been lost because reversed control surfaces, even with experienced flyers.

Good luck.

DaveB
Old 09-11-2009, 08:08 PM
GaryHarris

Grip it, and rip it!
Old 09-11-2009, 10:25 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I didn't read down through all the posts, So I hope I am not repeating others.....but I would suggest flying something that was similar to what you are putting up first.

And I always like a good spotter standing with me to help trim adjustment if its WAY WAY off... its best to discuss it all before hand, what you want them to do if its critical...and you usually don't need it. But I have trimmed a couple planes that I absolutely couldn't have held onto while looking for trim tabs...

I will add one thing, doing crazy stuff on the simulator ...3D and just plane EXPERIMENTAL flying has helped me when I get in trouble with the real thing ...
Old 09-12-2009, 01:56 PM
SeamusG

Great looking!

Two things come to mind.

First is the take off, and this may be your standard approach - make a long take off run smoothly applying throttle ensuring that you have ample ground speed before pulling back on the old elevator. Since this is a tail dragger, keep attention on the tail and it may soon lift pulling the tail wheel off the ground. At that point rudder control does just that and no more - not steering it any more.

Second, if you don't have a spotter to help mess with the trims, get the radio up in your line of sight. This way you can keep your plane in view and locate the trim tabs to make necessary adjustments until straight-n-level at mid throttle.

Good luck.

Foodstick's flight simulator comment tripped a thought - Real Flight has the ability to toss "failures" into your flight. Reversed servos and other failures. Keeps ya on your toes.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:13 AM
skypiratescotty
My Feedback: (32)

That is one SWEEET lookin' plane! Love that landing gear......is that what comes in the kit or somewhere else? I definately want to build one of these this winter.

Good luck on the maiden!!!! Don't worry too much about it being a dragger, just be Smoothie on the run up and be ready for just slight right rudder when the tail comes up. You really don't wanna just slam the throttle open as that will want to yank the plane left. I make all my planes draggers just cuz I prefer the look. I throttle up gradually until I see the tail come up then I punch it and make sure I have plenty of air speed before shooting for the stars!!!

Can't wait for a flight report and would love to see a photo of the plane with wing on!!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 09:47 AM
nh4clo4
My Feedback: (33)

How did the maiden go?  My Smoothie, is very stable and the best landing plane in the hangar, Hope it went well
Old 10-25-2011, 10:50 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Get on a buddy box with that instructor. That is one beautiful airplane. You will be dying to fly it. He can take it off, then you fly it around for awhile. When it's time to bring it in, if you are uncomfortable doing it, he can land it. At least you will have flown it on its maiden flight. I too would like to see a pic of it with the wing on. You did a fantastic job.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:14 AM
skypiratescotty
My Feedback: (32)

Flight report? More pics please!!