RCU Forums - View Single Post - any advice before maiden flight?
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: any advice before maiden flight?

First, you go over the plane nose to tail and check everything. Loose screws, motor, throttle push rod, servo arms, landing gear, wheel collars, serov mounts. I've had a servo horn fall off in flight because I forgot to tighten thescrew after adjusting mechanical centering. Lucklyit was the throttle.. Made for a long flight and dead stick but that was nothingcompaired to an aileron or elevator horn popping off. Check fuel tank mounting. check canopy and cowl mounting. Check throw end points, symetry on movement, dircetion of movement, mechanical trim. Check that the glow plug is tight ( I missed that one on my last checkout and the engine suddenly died just as I was lifting it off the bench for the flight test, It spit the plug out.) fire up the engine and run it up and check throttle performance, Full throttle, idle, and kill switch movements. Make sure the carb is set OK. Run it for two ro three minutes on the ground, full throttle most of the time, but varrying throttle. Kill it and lit it cool then check the engine mounting screws one more time. Now, have a club member with a critical eye double check your checkout. Range check with the engine running. Fly it and enjoy it.

Forgot something. if you have dual ailerons, and plug each servo when mounting the wing, color code the servo plugs so you always plug the correctly. I use a channel on each aileron, and while they are very close on mechanical alignment. swapping the plugs will require a tad of trim to straighten things out. Next time you put them in right and now the tad of trim is needed again. I use very small cable ties. Two black and two white. Put a tie on one wire on both the plug and socket.Match the colors and you are the same each time youplug up the ailerons.I tried using blue masking tape, and it works but tends to fall offafter a while. The cable ties are iron clad.

Don