Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Kadet Senior Bash Pictures

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Kadet Senior Bash Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 11:30 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Kadet Senior Bash Pictures

My ARF was converted to a tail dragger after flight 9 - took me that many flight to solo. Then it was tail dragger time.

WI - nice lookin'! I like the looks of the wheel pants - just haven't figured how to construct them so that the halves stay glued together beyond the 1st bout of hanger rash. Do you fly your Senior on your local lake?
Old 10-04-2009, 06:32 AM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You have a real talent for being able to use different colored/shapes of covering materials. How do you cut your material? Do you remove the backing, cut your peices, seam them together and then apply them to the sturcture?

What tools are you using? What are you cutting the material on? How do you overlap the covering so the seam doesn't come apart when you iron it on the structure?

Silversmiths use various temperature solders to keep thier work from coming apart as they add the spout/handle/base to a tea pot.

Give it up...What's your secret?
Old 10-04-2009, 09:14 AM
av8djc
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's mine. Barn door flaps and ailerons, 1/2 dihedral, Bomb drop door, tow release top center of wing, custom piggyback cradle for glider launch, conventional classic style tailfeathers and braced, tailwheel of course, Coverite and Randolph dope, OS 1.08. It's probably about 15 years old now and holding up well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89020.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	1288015  
Old 10-04-2009, 11:36 AM
SeamusG

Hey AV - nice runway! Talk about a CGnightmare. Kadet Seniors are soooo modifyable. Our club has 1, 2 and 4 motor seniors. They pull gliders and drop candy. They carry cameras. What ever you need it to do.

Can you show a detail of your landing gear? I used a stout wire with standoffs to reinforce the flat aluminum gear. Kinda heavy.

ORIGINAL: Broken Wings

You have a real talent for being able to use different colored/shapes of covering materials. How do you cut your material? Do you remove the backing, cut your peices, seam them together and then apply them to the sturcture?

What tools are you using? What are you cutting the material on? How do you overlap the covering so the seam doesn't come apart when you iron it on the structure?

Silversmiths use various temperature solders to keep thier work from coming apart as they add the spout/handle/base to a tea pot.

Give it up...What's your secret?
With a single light dangling from the ceiling in dark dank basement, sitting on a bar stool without a back, hands tied behind my back, feet tied to the legs of the stool, trying to shake off the affects of sodium pentathol ...

Thx for the kind words BW,

Icut covering with the backing still intact with a new razor blade or, occasionally, a #11 X-acto blade. Ido almost all of my cutting on glass (a mirror and a smaller pane of glass). The mirror is one of the those long mirrors that mount on the back of a door. Pretty light, about 48"long by 12" wide. 60x24 would be great.

For straight cuts I use several rulers - 48" , 24" 12" and 6". All have one side covered with blue painter's tape to protect the covering and grab the covering while cutting straight lines to keep the covering from shifting. Friends use a cutting board like that from Great Planes. I haven't tried it yet. For curves Ihave a decent set of French curves for marking the film top with a thin Sharpie - easily cleaned up with alcohol. Icut the curves freehand with a new blade - not using the curves because they are made of plastic and the razor will cut into them. For all lines I never lift the razor blade until the cut is finished.

If Iam creating a panel made up of several pieces of covering I will remove the backing and then lay the "under" piece down on the mirror. Using a trim iron on low with no sock (Ultracote's adhesive will just activate) I secure about 1/4" of the edge of the covering to the mirror. After it cools the covering is easily removed from the mirror without leaving any adhesive. Ithen remove the backing from the "over" piece and lay it over the "under"edge creating a 1/4" - 3/8" seam. I start in the middle of the seam using a low heat trim iron (no sock) to seal the seam. Make sure that both pieces lay entirely flat. Take it slow and don't stretch anything. Repeat if there are more than 2 pieces that make up the panel. After the seams are completed out comes the standard iron (with a sock) set at a temp that fully activates the adhesive - this will fully activate the adhesive and set all of the seams. Let everything cool and then carefully peal the panel from the glass. You can cover a full wing half with a single multi-color panel. Btw, in my case I violated seam covering rules of "dark over light". The transparent green overlapped silver - oh geez, the seam shows. Ultracote bright yellow is not opaque and the green shows though the seam - well, just sue me.

On this plane the full wing half could have been covered with a single panel, but, because of the size (and fear of messing up a bunch of covering), I decided to use a combination of panels &pieces - using the wing's structure. The top was 1st covered with a piece of silver over the tip because of the stretching needed. The end was wrapped 1/4" over the edge of the 2nd rib and sealed to the side of the rib. A panel of green &the yellow triangle at the center was put together overlapping the silver wing tip cover by 1/4", the main spar, the center "fiberglass" line, and the trailing edge. The full leading edge was covered with a panel of silver and yellow. The bottom was pieced together starting with green that spanned 2 wing bays - it overlaps the tip's silver, the main spar, the rear spar and wrapped around the edge of the 2nd rib. This was repeated with silver, green, silver, green, etc.

Hope this answers your questions. If not, well that's just tough
Old 10-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ahhh, The old glass mirror trick...

I'll have to try that.
Thanks
Old 10-04-2009, 01:26 PM
homeboy61

Super nice job on the build and sweet covering job also !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:13 AM
av8djc

[quote]ORIGINAL: SeamusG

Hey AV - nice runway! Talk about a CG nightmare. Kadet Seniors are soooo modifyable. Our club has 1, 2 and 4 motor seniors. They pull gliders and drop candy. They carry cameras. What ever you need it to do.

Can you show a detail of your landing gear? I used a stout wire with standoffs to reinforce the flat aluminum gear. Kinda heavy.

[quote]

Yeah it takes big tires and a STOL airplane to use the runway at my home
Here's the picture and also one of the tail and lower braces. The gear is really simple and could also be dressed up a bit by filling the "V" between the wires. Adjustable shocks by the quantity of rubber bands.

Name:	Ca81457.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1288624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73794.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1288625  
Old 10-05-2009, 08:33 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

LOL I thought I was the only one to build with live ammunition!. Take a look at the end of my building bench.

What calibers do you load?

Name:	Tr51353.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1288633  
Old 10-05-2009, 10:48 AM
SeamusG

av8djc - It looks like you moved the fin back so that the rudder and elevator hinge lines were on the same plane and then dropped the rudder base to be flush with the fuse. That's one mod that I should have considered. Maybe the "next" senior build. 
Old 10-06-2009, 08:32 AM
av8djc

ORIGINAL: SeamusG

av8djc - It looks like you moved the fin back so that the rudder and elevator hinge lines were on the same plane and then dropped the rudder base to be flush with the fuse. That's one mod that I should have considered. Maybe the ''next'' senior build.
Exactly right. that helps get a more conventional tail wheel steering. Plus I think it looks better [8D]
Old 10-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

SeamusG: Your bash thread is very timely and just perfect for me because I am starting a resto and bash on an old Senior I obtained a couple of yeas ago and has been sittin' in storage. What a great thread! Thank you.

As BW said, your artistry in the covering department is enviable!

Name:	Om33555.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1292521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41520.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1292522  
Old 10-11-2009, 12:34 PM
SeamusG

Tkx for the kind words. If you need any "details" for your bash PM me.