Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Kit Building Cool Tools

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Kit Building Cool Tools

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 04:11 PM
CKLLOYD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kit Building Cool Tools

OK LOOK OVER ALL REPLIES THIS IS WHAT I THINK AND USE FOR OVER 40 YEARS OF BUILDING RC.. I HAVE A NICE LITTLE SHOP. IT HAS A COMBO OF HARBOR FRIGHT,, DELTA,, CRAFTMAN,, DREMMEL,, M-WARDS,, JC PENNEYS,, AND MUCH MUCH MORE.... I DO HAVE THE SMALL CIR SAW AND BAND SAW AND CUT OFF SAW FROM HARBOR FRIGHT AND AS FOR THE USED THAT I GET OUT THEM THEY ALL HAVE THERE TIME AND PLACE.... IT JUST LIKE IF YOU CUT CHOP A 1\8 WIRE YOU USE THE CHOP SAW AND THEN HIT ON THE BELT SANDER TO DEBUR IT ITS THE SAME WITH THE H.F. SMALL HOBBY TABLE SAW I USE IT ON AIRCRAFT PLYWOOD YOU COULD USE IT ON STICKS AND FORMERS BUT I FIND THAT THE LAST PART OF THE CUT IS NOT AS CLEAN AS I LIKE BUT THERE ARE TIMES THAT IT JUST PLAN AND SIMPLE THE BEST WAY TO CUT OR RIP THAT PIECE OF WOOD AND THEN HIT IT ON BELT SANDER JUST TO CLEAN UP THE EDGE... WITH THIS ALL BEING SAID LET ME JUST SAY THAT THE BEST TOOL IN THE SHOP IS YOU... TO SEE TO FEEL TO LISTEN AND TO THINK... THESE ARE YOUR BEST TOOLS TREAT THEM GOOD
Old 11-18-2009, 04:23 PM
SpinnerRow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I'll also add: Lots of single-edge razor blades and #11 blades for your hobby knive (knives)

If you are itching to buy a new toy, the Great Planes Slot Machine is a must-have for kit building!
LOL! I have that as well and yes, I can't live without it!

The mini table saw is flat out cool despite the nay sayers.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:28 PM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: mclina

This is the only power tool I have bought from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93981
I have the Delta version of that and love it.
ORIGINAL: geh3

My imput...DREMEL... you can't have enough of them.....
Yea, have two of those with the little drill press thingy and router attachments!

Yea.... I'm a tool junky!
Old 11-18-2009, 04:51 PM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

There is no single best tool in the shop, it all depends what job you want to accomplish, you can built good with hand tools, you can build better with CNC equipment if you can afford to do so. Just keep mind it's all about fun.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:06 PM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: Tony Hallo

There is no single best tool in the shop, it all depends what job you want to accomplish, you can built good with hand tools, you can build better with CNC equipment if you can afford to do so. Just keep mind it's all about fun.
I didn't realize that there was such a division between the hand tool users and the electric tool users!

I can't cut a perfect 35 degree angle with hand tools but I can get real close using a tool designed to cut angles! My razor saw miter box only has 90 and 45 slots in it. Maybe I need a new miter box.

Oh, I also have an ancient Craftsman scroll saw that was my dad's. That is great for free hand funky stuff. Much easier than a sharp xacto knife on 3/16" balsa.

I use the standard hand tools as well but I like to use the right tool for the job. My hands don't cut straight lines or perfect circles either.

Another hobby of mine is fabricating turbo systems for Mustangs. I can weld but I'm a much better grinder than I am a welder! Same goes for this hobby with lightweight sticks and stuff. I need all the help I can get!
Old 11-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

This is what came to mind as I wrote my response,[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7836260/tm.htm[/link], I was impressed.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:16 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Some of the tools I find the most handy are the ones I got from my dentist. Small but sharp scissors, good tweezers, straight and bent hemostats. Also a really long sanding bar.( but thats not from my dentist)
Old 11-18-2009, 11:18 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok

Here's what in my "happy place".

Lipo dremel and 4 corded, with cable, Great planes power planer, 2 band saws, 1 wood, one metal, dremel scroll saw, drill press, mini mill, mini lathe, osalating spindle sander, disk/belt sander, table router, harbor freight 4" table saw, assorted zona saws, countless xacto knifes. Ryobi cordless 10" miter saw.

That"s most of it

I also purchased a Carvewright CNC router, if i learn to use the design program well, it will cut all my parts for now , but till then, I can hand cut faster.

Steve
Old 11-18-2009, 11:21 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I build my own kits from plans. Other then the hand tools like the zona saw and razor knife my number one tool is a nice scroll saw and a cheap HF belt/disc sander. I belong to a wood working club and have pretty much any tool you can name but for models the only time I bother with the wood shop is for sanding during the winter, during the summer i do my sanding outside of my own shop. That way I don't get all that dust on my planes. I do cut my own hard wood spars and stringers on the table saw at the wood shop but other then that I can't think of any reason to use one. Not very often at least.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:53 AM
Boolarra

I have been scratch building for about 25 years and the only power tools I possess are, a small 7.2 volt cordless drill, a 10" Band saw, a Dremel type rotary tool, and a Bench top grinder. The tool I will buy soon is a good quality pedestal drill and later possibly a scroll saw.
I have found hand tools to be more than adequate for my projects for all those years so I am not rushing into buying power tools.
Buy the best quality you can get in any tool and you won't regret it.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:40 AM
757jonp
My Feedback: (48)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a shop located in the basement with the usual power and hand tools. No one mentioned having a good vacuum setup of some sort for cleanup during/after a build. Track that balsa dust up into Mama's house, Mama isn't going to be to pleased.

And if Mama's not happy, nobody is going to be happy!
Old 11-19-2009, 07:46 AM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: SCALECRAFT
....... osalating spindle sander
ooo, Ooooo, OOOOOOOHHHH!!! I want one of those to!
Old 11-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Dsegal

> Do you have one? <

It has so little power that it could not even cut thick soft balsa. It is also very flimsy. I sent it back and resent the postage cost I lost.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:50 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Forgot one super important tool I use. A contour gauge for making formers, ect and checking symmetry on various shapes.

Steve
Old 11-19-2009, 11:29 AM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

I have seen several people comment on the GP hinge slotting tool.  Can any of you expand on how you feel about them?  How effective are they? 
Old 11-19-2009, 11:38 AM
froghair1

The hinge slot tool is great. Best if you get the powered one not the battery operated. Also get the extra blades then it will work for all style flat hinges. If you only use robart type hinges its useless.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Alex7403

GP hinge slot machine is the best tool I can think of, before I got it I used to spend two days on hing slots not to mention the mistakes and the finger cuts now it takes me about 20 minutes to do slots for the whole airplane, without it hinging is my least favorite part.
I'v been using it in the past 2 years on something like six airplanes, didnt need replace blades so far but I got a cutting guide http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPU13&P=7

Old 11-19-2009, 12:19 PM
twn

I also think the GP Hinge cutter is the best thing since sliced bread. Gotta watch the the blades tho cause then will start to cut oval holes sooner or later.

What I use:

Band saw
scroll saw
drill press
dremel + HUNDEREDS of bits and of course the snake attachment (I can't live without)
corded drill
mitrebox
hobby saw
various soldering tools
hand tools, srew drivers etc...
plane craddle

Thats it!
Old 11-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Insanemoondoggie

One of my favorite tools in my shop , is my laptop , when I get stumped or need some help , I just jump on RCU and yell for HELP! lol
Old 11-19-2009, 12:46 PM
BradSD
My Feedback: (9)

My list is the hinge slot tool is a must, the tool for marking your engine holes into the mount is a must. The great planes sanding bar is super nice, you can get cheaper plastic ones at lowes, does the samething. Robart Super Stand is nice. A pair of heavy shears made for cutting tin or metal but I use them to cut out the plastic parts. Number 11 blades and cutter. Miter box with zona saw it a MUST! I like the little triangle plastic thingas for getting things perferctly straight. I recently bought the groove tool and im happy with it also.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:35 PM
plane-o-joe
My Feedback: (2)

Power Tools are a personal decision. What do you feel the need for and what you can afford are pretty good barometers for any purchase. I guess it boils down to how many tool catalogues are in the bathroom!
Old 11-19-2009, 06:01 PM
Nathan_L

I stick build a fair amount. Fuses etc....

These come in handy even tho I have a full shop of power tools as well. Great for cutting a miter or sanding off that last little bit to get a perfect fit without using the power sander.

Both made by fourmost. Miter Saw and Miter Sander.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=WR&I=LXG875

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXG876&P=ML
Old 11-19-2009, 06:09 PM
bassdad
My Feedback: (1)

Oooh, oooh....cool tools! Great link; thanks, those would be good for cutting dihedrals on foam wing panels. Going on the ol' Xmas list those are!
Old 11-19-2009, 06:18 PM
GaryHarris

My list might be slightly different so be gentle with me. [X(] IMO the most important tools for building planes, or anything in life is your mind and your hands.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:05 PM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

My list might be slightly different so be gentle with me. [X(] IMO the most important tools for building planes, or anything in life is your mind and your hands.
Yea, I've got those to!

Anyone else have suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.