Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Another kit bites the dust !

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Another kit bites the dust !

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 06:43 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another kit bites the dust !

Tower had discounted the Piper Cub .20 . I had just pick up a GP float kit and was waiting for them to come back in stock. This was my first kit and also the plane I taught myself to fly on, so I,m bumming. Anyone got one they want to sell ?
Old 12-17-2009, 06:47 PM
tarvma02
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Another kit bites the dust !

I think if you see something you like, you better go ahead and buy it. I've done this too me times; they all get discontinued it seems. Ebay is SO expensive for kits!

Mike
Old 12-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Insanemoondoggie

I agree Mike , but they were out of stock and the wife put me on an allowance , which cuts into my kit stashing . lol
Old 12-17-2009, 06:52 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Another thing I have been doing for awhile now is making sure I can duplicate a kit I have purchased. Most kit manufacturers will leave some of the crucial parts out of the plans view. They do this so you have to buy another kit in order to get all the parts, and you can't make them for yourself. So when I get ready to build a kit I go through the plans and see what parts aren't shown on the plans. Then I trace out those parts on the plans. This way if the kit is discontinued later on I have outlines of all the parts and can then cut a kit for myself later on. This also helps in being able to produce parts if you should crash the plane. You can cut the parts you need to do your repairs with.

Ken

Old 12-17-2009, 07:02 PM
jbogdano
My Feedback: (13)

There are good alternatives to that one. The Electricub is about the same size (within 1" wingspan) and MUCH lighter. The Sig Cub has a 71" wingspan so it's a little bigger, but also comes out lighter than the Great Planes cub 20. Good luck on your search.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:26 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Another thing I have been doing for awhile now is making sure I can duplicate a kit I have purchased. Most kit manufacturers will leave some of the crucial parts out of the plans view. They do this so you have to buy another kit in order to get all the parts, and you can't make them for yourself. So when I get ready to build a kit I go through the plans and see what parts aren't shown on the plans. Then I trace out those parts on the plans. This way if the kit is discontinued later on I have outlines of all the parts and can then cut a kit for myself later on. This also helps in being able to produce parts if you should crash the plane. You can cut the parts you need to do your repairs with.

Ken

Here goes, get me my sticks so I can beat on my drum!!! I have been preaching a lot more then Ken is doing. Any and all kits you come up with make a template of every part in the box, fuse, formers ribs, all of them. save your plans and instructions!!!!! We as builders can share with each other and keep these planes/kits alive. If you have the templates it only takes an hour or two to cut your own kit. It isn't hard to make templates, just some butcher paper or bond paper. As long as there is a Kinko's we can have the plans and templates made up and shared!!!! Don't even give it any thought, just make it part of your build. Guess who tossed out all there old templates and plans when he moved???? [>:][&o]
Old 12-17-2009, 08:54 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

RCKEN, once again we think alike ! the nice thing about tracing the parts on the back of the plans is you can have the plans blown up or shrunk, and all the templates will be changed equal to the plans. I prefer to have them copy the front on one sheet and the back (parts) on another so they can be cut out easier...

Its a sad thing to see happen to the hobby, but its going to get worse....
Old 12-18-2009, 08:02 AM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: Insanemoondoggie

Tower had discounted the Piper Cub .20 [img][/img] . I had just pick up a GP float kit and was waiting for them to come back in stock. This was my first kit and also the plane I taught myself to fly on, so I,m bumming. Anyone got one they want to sell ?
I have one of these kits NIB. I've had it for about two years and can't even remember what I paid for it. I'm not saying that I'm willing to part with it but we might be able to work something out in the way of coppies of the plans/instructions and former tracings. Are you ready to scratch build?
Old 12-18-2009, 08:23 AM
Mr67Stang

Have you concidered the GP Taylorcraft as an alternative?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUJ25&P=0
Old 12-18-2009, 08:31 AM
dignlivn

Robbie,

I built the GP elec. Cub and have the plans
in the hangar some where

If you would like them let me know, i'm not
going to use them again.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64354.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1336906  
Old 12-18-2009, 08:40 AM
crash bandicoute

soooo, am i the onlynutbag that keeps all the "parts trees" from the kits when i'm finished building my planes? my wife gets steamin' mad when she goes out to my office and all the extra "stuff" is still laying around, not thrown away. she's starting to think i'm a horder and can't let go of anything. most of the time it works for reproducing parts, but then you get that part every once in a while that you have to destroy the tree to get the part out with out damaging the rib or whatever you're trying to remove. especially where the little tabs are on the ribs.but that's my answer to repairing parts and now i guess preserving kits for a later date. except i threw the stuff away for my RV-4 before i thought about all that. DAMN!!! i was thinking about buying that .20 cub also. i have a .20 FP from O.S. and not alot of options for it. i feel your pain. pretty soon it's going to be nothing but ARF's and scratch building. (YOU SHUT YOUR da@* MOUTH!!!) the voices...

and i thought you were just going to say you crashed your 4*. of course that would suck too.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:11 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

My guess is the Top Flite Contender is on the chopping block next.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:07 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Thanks for all the help gang. I found one on line and also the GP Taylorcraft . I really don't like cutting ribs as I'm terrible at cutting the square notches but the way things are going , better learn.
I need to pick up a good sander and band saw. I have a scroll saw and it works O.K. for somethings but I think a good sander would help alot, as I do all sanding by hand now. I'm use to working with metel and pounding rivets , need to improve my balsa skills.
Thanks again for the help offers, you guys are the best.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Insanemoondoggie

One other question , would a 30 size 4 stroke have good power on these .20 size planes ? I had a LA .25 on the Cub and hated that engine. Might have been a good engine, but it was inverted and a real deadstick queen . Or maybe the .40 to .45 ,s , but they seem a little heavy?
Old 12-18-2009, 10:19 AM
dignlivn

I would think a 30 size 4 stroke would work, JMO
Old 12-18-2009, 10:24 AM
Mr67Stang

A lot of 2 strokes don't like to run inverted and I think the smaller the engine the harder it is to get running inverted. A .30 size four stroke would be outstanding on that plane for cool sound and scale flying. A .40 4 stroke would move out pretty good but a bit heavyer than if you had just used a .25 (side mounted).
Old 12-18-2009, 10:25 AM
dignlivn

Here's a 40 size, look at the weight,
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/...les.html#fa40a

Bob
Old 12-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Insanemoondoggie

The .40 is weigh's just an oz. more. that should work fine.
Mr67Stang , I selling all my O.S. and SuperTigre 2 strokeengines, except for a new old stock .60 fp. Going to all 4 strokes , not that 2 strokes are'nt good engines' I just like 4 strokes . Going to try a YS soon.
I'm bidding on an open rocker Saito .40 , if I get it, I.ll put it on the Cub.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Mr67Stang

That comes out to 10.6174 oz. The OS .25LA is 7 oz w/o muffler so they may be closer than I suspected but there is no way the .25 muffler weighs 3.5 oz.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:31 AM
dignlivn

ORIGINAL: Insanemoondoggie

The .40 is weigh's just an oz. more. that should work fine.
Mr67Stang , I selling all my O.S. and SuperTigre 2 stroke engines , except for a new old stock .60 fp. Going to all 4 strokes , not that 2 strokes are'nt good engines' I just like 4 strokes . Going to try a YS soon.
I'm bidding on an open rocker Saito .40 , if I get it, I.ll put it on the Cub.

My E Cub has a size motor on it. It's over powered but it's
fun to fly when the wind is laying down. I use a 4 cell 3200 mAh
lipo and 700 Mah for the Rx. Over kill I know,

Bob
Old 12-18-2009, 06:55 PM
ppollock
My Feedback: (1)

Dear ISMD, have you thought about acquiring some KS square tubing to make the proper spar notches with. All you have to do is sharpen the edges on one end.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Excellent idea , that would probably work out great.
Little off topic , but I just received a LT40 kit I bought off RCU , came snail mail. I was wondering why it was taking so long ,till it did arrive. Box was fold in the middle , at a 90 degree angle . All the long stuff is broke in half. Geez ! Scratch building is looking more favorable all the time.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Live Wire

I just sent 2 by snail, and no problems 1 to Fl. and 1 to Ks. makes you wonder how the were packed when shiped[:@] I told them not to run over them with a truck when I left
Larry K